Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Ah, Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 07:01 PM
2sick

Angry Ah, Please Help!

Hey Guys.

I've been having some trouble with my 2006, V6 Mustang. I have a little over 100,000 miles on it. (Automatic)

While I'm driving my car, the RPMS will randomly shoot up, but I don't go any faster; almost as if I've gone into neutral. I take my foot off the gas, and when I go to press the gas again, it normally will catch itself, and continue driving. However it does it multiple times while driving, more often when it's warmed up than cold. I got my transmission fluid changed, and they said the oil was clean (no metal flakes). I was told to drive with my OverDrive/Off. I started doing that, and it did seem a lot better; however it did it while OverDrive was off for the first time the other day. It just seems hesitant while shifting from 3rd to 4th, but sometimes does it from 1st to 2nd.

I've been told throttle body could be the problem? Any ideas?! I'm goin crazy!

Thanks guys,
-Kaitlin
Old 07-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

I'm not mechanically inclined, but you may wanna take a look at your throttle body and clean it. Has it ever been cleaned? If it hasn't it may be part of the problem. I think there's a how to thread somewhere around here, try using the search function.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:52 PM
2sick

Im hoping it's something simple like that, rather than the transmission! I have not cleaned it! Thank you so much! & I'll definitely take a look at the how to!
Old 07-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The TB is pretty simple to clean and you can reuse the existing gasket. Just be gentle when you pull off the TB. Be sure to get a cleaner made specifically for TB's. From your description I wouldn't bet that it's a dirty TB causing your problem but it's an inexpensive first shot.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:29 PM
JimC

Have the transmission fluid checked. It is easy to underfill the automatic and if it isn't full you will get the slip like symptom you describe. (RPM's go up but no motion at first like the car is in neutral.)
Old 07-02-2012, 09:55 PM
2sick

Cool, thank you guys so much! You've been a big help.

@Nuke- If it isn't the TB are you thinking it's the transmission?
Old 07-02-2012, 11:37 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

If the trans is slipping, that wont be the TB. As Jim mentioned, you're probably low on fluid.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:19 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Did you experience the RPM issue before or after you had the transmission fluid replaced?
Old 07-03-2012, 10:34 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2sick
...@Nuke- If it isn't the TB are you thinking it's the transmission?
Yes, but it could also be a sensor. It's tough to diagnose without having the car in front of you.

I'd clean the TB anyway but as I stated, I doubt that's the cause.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:42 AM
2sick

I started having the issue BEFORE doing my transmission fluid, I thought that might be the reasoning behind the issue, but it continued after getting it changed. & At Ford, they said it was full, and looked clean.

Hmmm. I guess I'll start with the cleaning of the TB, probably needs to be cleaned anyway, even if it isn't the issue!