Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

[05] Looking to purchase..

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 11:59 PM
Ant-Man
1st Gear Member

Default [05] Looking to purchase..

Hi,

This'll be my first post on the forums, I deeply apologize if I have missed a rule or board that this thread would go against or belong in; I'd like some advise from people with mustangs as to whether this is a reasonable deal.

I organized this into information, review of the actual car, and last my questions.

Information

So anyways I'm not much of an actual car guy but rather a computer guy, I currently drive a 1997 Dodge King cab, but I would like to see about getting a mustang, why? I try to take pride in how I present myself and the people I'm with, and also the MPG doesn't hurt either(as compared to what I'm used to getting). No, I haven't driven or owned a sports car before, but I'm honestly a good, simple driver. Where I live(oregon) there aren't many choices as for mustangs and I've been looking around for about 4-6 months watching prices, models, problems and such fluctuate up and down.

Recently I went on a test driving spree at a few dealers who had pretty much the same model mustang: the 2005 Coupe v6(deluxe I believe); one stood out due to a few things.

So the one I'm currently looking at has the following advantages over the others:
  • Miles - 15,000 as compared to 75,671 and 89,345
  • Price - $13,995 as compared to $17,700 and $15,995
  • Warranty - 3month:3,000mile as compared to 1month:1,000mile and no warranty.

A picture of the car: https://i.imgur.com/uRfXT.jpg

Now as I said I've been waiting a while and doing lots of research, and sadly found the 2005 has had a lot of complaints about a wide range of things, only second to the 2006.

A little graph of the problems I'm talking about: Name:  EhnrY.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  65.6 KB

I've always had the hand-me-down kind of stuff and didn't really mind it, but this'll be my first car I've been waiting patiently to get; I refuse to screw it up.

Main purpose of the car would be just going back and forth(highway), a max of about 100 miles a week, not looking to mod or anything with the exception of possibly getting some nicer rims.

Review

As for a review of the car itself when I went in to check it out [~15min drive]:

Good:
  • Clean body, no paint chipping, no water seepage, nothing.
  • Very smooth drive, I peeled out, tested the brakes, handling, everything.
  • No odd noises at all.
  • All electronics were functioning correctly.
  • Engine was clean, no rust or anything.
  • Clean record.
  • Overall a nice looking, fun drive.

Bad:
  • The right headlight looks like the bulb covering was melted off?
  • The inside was clean and all, but the trunk's light cover had broken off on one side(looked like it was originally glued).
  • Tires looks decently worn down @ ~30-45%

Esentially what would seem to be a near new 2005 for $13,900

Questions

A quick note: I plan on getting the dealer to replace the light bulbs and the trunk light cover before going back, if I do.
  • In a general sense for someone looking to not do too much with a car, would it be worth getting the 2005, or would it still be too much of a risk?
  • Should I get it inspected by my local mechanic despite being from a dealer?
  • What would you value the 2005 coupe at? It's only 13.9 but I was planning on offering about 10-11k walk-off, perhaps more if they put on a longer warranty?(The sales rep said they can go 4yr:48k on the girl)
  • Would you buy purchase it if you were in my shoes, or wait for another one to come?

Personally I want it, but logically it appears as a foolish decision unless I can get a nice long warranty. Again I'm not too much of a car guy but I'd like to start trying to learn more.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:31 AM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

The base v6's for those years had mainly to significant problems, the infamous water leak issue and charging system problems. I had the '05 base v6 and suffered from the charging system problems. Since then I have switched out the V6 and put a V8 in. However the v6 is a great engine for long life, if you keep to the maintenance schedule they will last for a while. I paid 11.2k for mine 3 yrs. ago and if it's in great shape and low mileage, then the car will have some value. You can probably talk the dealer down to 11 to 12k. As for the small issues, you can talk the dealer into replacing the tires for a relatively small cost, they make all their money off of mark-up. Some of the other things it's possible to work out with them as well. In the end though it matters do you really need/ or want the car. When I was in my spot I was in a need and want because I had wrecked my car and I wanted a mustang.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:29 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I am suprised you were able to locate a 2005 with such low miles!!
I currently have 67,XXX miles and is steadily increasing.

Other issues to look out for:
1. Upper/lower thermostat housing leak (They are made of plastic and will crack overtime) I have a small crack and it leaks on ocassion. On my to do list to fix.
2. Emergency brake freezes, when in 32 degree or lower temp (I've experienced this)
3. Cluster gauge - stepper motors go out - I am experiencing issues with the RPM and thermostat gauge. They work on and off. I am not worried about fixing, unless I start experiencing issues with my MPH and gas gauge.
4. Water leak - check the passenger floor board area for dampness or musty smell. This issue leads to electrical issues. I have NOT experienced this...thankfully, (knock on wood).
5. On ocassion, when filling up at the gas statiom, the gas pump will shut off prematurely. If this happens, I need to hold the gas pump at a 45 degree angle, so it won't keep shutting off.
6. I replaced out my clutch at 65K miles. The slave cylinder/throw out bearing went out and I was barely able to put my shifter into any gear.

I hope this helps and doesn't scare you away.....

Last edited by kevinmalec; 09-05-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:46 PM
mweiland

i have an 05 at 47k mi.

had a wet floor (pass side) once. turned out one of the rubber sleeves that hang off the drainage holes under the hood was blocked.

a piece inside the drivers side door handle broke about 2 years in. dealership replaced it.

something went wrong with the parking brake cable (maybe a boot, can't remember) around the same time. again, dealership replaced it.

having a clutch issue right now (slave cyl, i think).

had a defective emissions system computer part that was still under the 8 yr warranty. dealership replaced it.

that's pretty much it. hood paint seems to chip easy but i've been pretty lucky, as far as common 05 v6 problems go. engine is strong, body is in good shape. i love the car.

probably selling it very soon but only because i'm in a rural area and work is farther away now than it has been since i bought it. and we'll be seeing snow in a few months...
Old 09-05-2012, 03:54 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

What issues are you experiencing?

I replaced out my clutch at 65K miles. The slave cylinder/throw out bearing went out. I had a (2-3 inch) dead spot at the top of my clutch pedal and I was barely able to put my shifter into any gear.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

An '05 V6 should go for about $10k - $12k. I paid $13.5k 3 years ago for an '06 V6 loaded in cherry condition with only 9630 miles. And that was from a Ford dealer.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:14 PM
Ant-Man
1st Gear Member

I appreciate all the feedback guys, today I had it inspected from top to bottom by a top rated mechanic(in the city), there might be a small alignment issue, but other than that no electrical, transmission, water leaks, charging system errors or anything. They gave it a 9 out of 10, and they say they never give out such a score, even on a newer vehicle.

Another thing is that they recently lowered it from $14.9 to $13.9, so I was going to see if I can get it for $11k, and top out at something like $12.3k

Also being in oregon there is no sales tax and stuff, so again that might be why it's a tad bit higher than other places. Thoughts or objections to my plan?
Old 09-05-2012, 08:27 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

I think it sounds like a good plan. That is a little on the high side for an '05, but the low mileage justifies it. Try to talk them down like you plan on.

Hopefully you have a 'Stang soon.

I have an '05 Deluxe. Bought it with 45k miles in '09 for $10k. Now it has 75k miles. The only issues I've had are the water leak and the transmission (manual). The motor is a good dependable motor with decent torque for a DD. They are fun little cars to drive and one of the few cars that still get looks (even though they are older now). The body style is still really popular.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:45 PM
rjones2330
1st Gear Member

i have a 08 base model i paid 10k for with 30k
Old 09-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Ant-Man
1st Gear Member

Found out today it was a premium when I went to offer... salesman had no clue and I assumed it was a deluxe.

Gonna try and offer something like 12-13 now, any objections/input(all welcome)?

Quick Reply: [05] Looking to purchase..