Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

As winter approaches...the p-zeros must go!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 11:07 PM
THS_Steed06
2nd Gear Member

Default As winter approaches...the p-zeros must go!?

Hi Guys, Tom here from Northern IL. Glad to have joined the forum and my Fellow car lovers!

Got my car in April (2006 Deluxe vista blue, 4L w/5 speed) and am really enjoying it. Ditched my spinner 16's in favor of a set of GT Premium 17's with Pirelli P-zero neros. Have really liked these tires except when it rains. I find they break loose pretty easily on wet streets. Part of it may have to do with the 3 or 4/32 tread left on the rears but they don't give me confidence for winter driving. So for the winter I'm planning to go back to my 16s with cooper CS4's....in order to stay out of the ditch.

So I ask you my new compadres, how much weight do you guys reccomend to add to the trunk for winter driving in your cars? How much is enough? I used to put 80lbs in my Rx-7 but don't know if that's enough to benefit a Mustang.

Thoughts/experiences?

Tom
Old 11-11-2012, 08:49 AM
95 BLOWN GT
5th Gear Member

not a winter ride for me....actually putting it in storage today....damn winters
Old 11-11-2012, 02:39 PM
THS_Steed06
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I hear ya. Wish I could afford to have my toy car and my daily driver to be seperate but alas.....
Old 11-12-2012, 06:32 PM
stoneblue
2nd Gear Member

Default No weight

I have not needed any weight in the trunk. Just running 4 steal rims and blizzak winter tires
Old 11-12-2012, 06:34 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

From PA all my life except 2 years in a Chicago NW burb before heading south here's my take:

If you MUST drive the Stang in northern winters, get yourself 4 winter wheels and 4 dedicated winter snow tires, then add about 150-200lbs in the trunk, then feather the go pedal like there was an egg under it.

I have 40+ years of winter driving experience in many, many different vehicles and the Stang is one of the worst. Is it doable? Yes, but compared to other vehicles, it suks, plain and simple.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:00 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Two bags of sand and two bags of salt. That way, if you do get stuck, you have something to help you out of your rut I DD my '06 and wish I had winter tires but I'm stuck on Nitto 555's...not exactly a good winter tire, lol
Old 11-12-2012, 08:53 PM
JimC

SE Michigan here. Drove my 2006 convertible year round on a 45 mile one way commute. Through lots of rain, snow, sleet, ice and sun. No extra weight in the car, and never got stuck. Ran the stock Pirelli Pzero Neros too. I had the Nitto Motivo on it last and really liked those. Much quieter running on the highway, had good grip and feel in the rain. Never had a chance to try the in the snow though unfortunately.

When it is time to replace the tires on my 2013 I will be going with the Nitto Motivo instead of the Pirellis. But like I said, never had a problem with the Pirelli's in snow.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:41 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

This is the one and only time I going to disagree with the Nuke.

IMO, adding weight to the back of the car is a terrible idea due to the law of physics which states than an object in motion will stay in motion... etc etc. Bottom line for me is that if you add 2 or 3 hundred pounds to the trunk, thats 2-3 hundred pounds you have to stop in an emergency. You are making your car have even more kinetic energy which is not what I would want.

The second problem with weight in my opinion its flat out dangerous. Say you are going down the highway at 60 mph, you hit black ice, and go into a barrier that stops your car cold. The car (and you) have stopped cold. The weight in your trunk hasn't. My understanding is that your backseat is basically a sheet of plywood with padding and leather on top of it. That is not going to stop 200-300 pounds moving at 60 mph. So in my opinion adding weight like that is dangerous.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:17 AM
THS_Steed06
2nd Gear Member

Thanks everybody....but I see we're not in agreement here!

The vote tally so far is:

A) Get Blizzaks M'fer! (1)
B) No weight needed (2)
C) Don't add weight, you'll die man! (1)
D) Mustang in winter? No seriously...drive a different car (2)

Sounds like a tie so far, maybe we can get some more votes?

Unless somebody can find me Blizzaks on craigslist for like $200 I'm going to have to roll on my cooper CS4's. Those of you who rode out p-zeros have my blessing! I can't chance those the way they feel right now too squirrelly in the wet.

Tom
Old 11-16-2012, 07:17 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
If you MUST drive the Stang in northern winters, get yourself 4 winter wheels and 4 dedicated winter snow tires, then add about 150-200lbs in the trunk, then feather the go pedal like there was an egg under it.

I have 40+ years of winter driving experience in many, many different vehicles and the Stang is one of the worst. Is it doable? Yes, but compared to other vehicles, it suks, plain and simple.
Agreed. Mustangs suck in winter weather, no getting around that. My previous 98 v6 auto was bad in the snow/slush/ice, but my 06GT feels like a fish out of water. Straight lines are managable when finessing the throttle, but corners are not fun. Weight is your fried.

Hankook I-Pike tires are pretty aggressive non-studs. Compare the pricing for them

Originally Posted by bakerjd
Two bags of sand and two bags of salt. That way, if you do get stuck, you have something to help you out of your rut I DD my '06 and wish I had winter tires but I'm stuck on Nitto 555's...not exactly a good winter tire, lol
Good idea. I would have suggested 2 bags of concrete since they are cheap.

Originally Posted by stags
My understanding is that your backseat is basically a sheet of plywood with padding and leather on top of it. That is not going to stop 200-300 pounds moving at 60 mph. So in my opinion adding weight like that is dangerous.
Put it in the spare tire wheel well. Ta-da, fixed.

Quick Reply: As winter approaches...the p-zeros must go!?