Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Plasti dip?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 01:40 PM
DK Pony
4th Gear Member

No it is not glossy at all. As far as durability. I sprayed some stripes and wheels.Also did a rear blackout panel. I did the wheels over July 4th weekend this year and then traded the car in late August. It still looked great when I traded it and the dealer thought it was painted on..well I guess it kinda is painted on but the fact that it is removable I guess makes it more like a decal.

Here's a before:
[IMG][/IMG]
And after:
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-26-2012, 10:30 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

There's a member on here that plasti-dipped his GT500 black. He used a spray gun and did a great job!
I helped a buddy plasti-dip his wheels black and they turned out good. Plasti-dips is a rubber compound and looks the same as the tires.

Name:  Brents2010Mustang.jpg
Views: 1195
Size:  149.5 KB
Old 11-26-2012, 11:30 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

I have also seen it done in Kona Blue...
Attached Thumbnails Plasti dip?-p-dip2.jpg   Plasti dip?-p-dip.jpg   Plasti dip?-p-dip3.jpg  
Old 11-26-2012, 12:11 PM
Nick V.
2nd Gear Member

here some i did

Name:  1sssssss.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  105.2 KB

Name:  stripes_zpsc4c43b68.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  97.0 KB
Old 11-26-2012, 06:35 PM
kingGingy5.0
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by vinnyzap93
I'm thinking about plasti dipping my whole car but can't decide. Anybody have any experience?
It will look good at first and for about 5 months then will start to break down and thin out. At that point it does not come off easy and just peel off in one big sheet. I had done my wheels and got so tired of trying to get that plasti sh*t off I almost said f it and purchased new rims.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:13 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kingGingy5.0
It will look good at first and for about 5 months then will start to break down and thin out. At that point it does not come off easy and just peel off in one big sheet. I had done my wheels and got so tired of trying to get that plasti sh*t off I almost said f it and purchased new rims.
How many coats of dip did you put on your wheels?
Old 11-27-2012, 09:47 AM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience, I have to ask - how many coats did you do, how did you clean it, and did you by chance spray it with clearcoat gloss that wasn't plasti-dip glossifier?

I only ask this, as I've seen P-dip peeled off wheels and an entire car that had been on there a year+, and it took all of 10 minutes to 'undo' the entire car. (Wheels a little longer as they were complex wheels and required removal to get it all off)

All of my above questions will greatly impact taking the dip off;

Not enough coats - it will be a PITA to remove. Fix? Spray a heavy coating of Dip on the effected areas again, let it cure, then it will peel right off even on Dip that's been thinned due to incorrect cleaning/not enough layers. (As long as you didn't clearcoat gloss it - see below comment and the 'Myth' video below)

Cleaning issues? Soap and water does it, if you are hitting your tires with tire shine and that stuff is getting on your dipped wheels too then there's the problem.. Most tire shines will break down Dip over time due to it's chemical content.

Using 'clearcoat' gloss over the dip but didn't use plasti-dip's gloss? This will also cause problems on taking it off.. (See Myth video below) Not the same sort of compounds in gloss for paint as gloss for dip - the latter bonds properly to the dip and allows flex for removal. Normal clearcoat for 'paint' will harden.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q37dZ2YdXl4"[/URL]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJk66lzcr-U"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJk66lzcr-U[/ame]

Myths of the Dip..
http://youtu.be/vvkq-qyY9aY

Last edited by JayyVee; 11-27-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:22 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Improper installation is to blame.
Properly done Plasti-Dip exhibits none of the qualities you describe.

When properly applied it lasts indefinably and is a breeze to remove with
no signs of it ever have been on the surface of the object it was properly
applied to.

I have been dipped for a year now and it is as it was when applied.
No 'breakdown' or 'thinning'.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:47 PM
Stang010

Originally Posted by vinnyzap93
I'm thinking about plasti dipping my whole car but can't decide. Anybody have any experience?
I used Plastidip a lot on my old car and it's quite good stuff. While I never did the whole car it should be fine. A website that I used that has a lot of DIY videos and cheap deals is dipyourcar and it had a huge gallery of submissions on photos with partial dips or full body.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:46 PM
kingGingy5.0
1st Gear Member

[QUOTE=JayyVee;8100084]Sorry to hear you had a bad experience, I have to ask - how many coats did you do, how did you clean it, and did you by chance spray it with clearcoat gloss that wasn't plasti-dip glossifier?

I only ask this, as I've seen P-dip peeled off wheels and an entire car that had been on there a year+, and it took all of 10 minutes to 'undo' the entire car. (Wheels a little longer as they were complex wheels and required removal to get it all off)

All of my above questions will greatly impact taking the dip off;

Not enough coats - it will be a PITA to remove. Fix? Spray a heavy coating of Dip on the effected areas again, let it cure, then it will peel right off even on Dip that's been thinned due to incorrect cleaning/not enough layers. (As long as you didn't clearcoat gloss it - see below comment and the 'Myth' video below)

Cleaning issues? Soap and water does it, if you are hitting your tires with tire shine and that stuff is getting on your dipped wheels too then there's the problem.. Most tire shines will break down Dip over time due to it's chemical content.

Using 'clearcoat' gloss over the dip but didn't use plasti-dip's gloss? This will also cause problems on taking it off.. (See Myth video below) Not the same sort of compounds in gloss for paint as gloss for dip - the latter bonds properly to the dip and allows flex for removal. Normal clearcoat for 'paint' will harden.

I used six coats and no clearcoat...just soap and water to clean

Quick Reply: Plasti dip?