Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

07 V6 poor gas mileage

Old 12-03-2012, 04:15 PM
tatterz

Default 07 V6 poor gas mileage

My gas mileage is terrible also and I'm really getting close to selling my 07 V6. I've installed a cool air intake, tuned it and it didn't change a damn thing. I replaced the 18x10" wheels it came with and put on 17x8s. I installed dual exhaust.

Still getting 16.5-16.8mpg city no matter what I do. I took a 75 mile highway trip and barely broke 17mpg but thats the highest I've gotten.

No matter how I drive, its always in the 16.5-16.8 range. I've spent thousands in mods that were supposed to show improvement in mpg as well as power but I haven't seen a mpg gain.

Compared to my 25mpg Nissan, the mustang would cost me $1000 more per year just in gas. As a college student, thats just too much. Getting close to selling it. If I can get it up to 19-20mpg city, I'd be happy but nothing I've done so far has helped. I purchased a new Fuel Filter and should be installing it soon, but I doubt it will help.

Suggestions? Would the fuel filter change show significance?
Old 12-03-2012, 04:27 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Use the search box....I've seen several ideas as to what could be the cause.
I have an 07 V6 but I get 22-23 mpg in the city and average 26 mpg.
Did you buy it brand new? The 07 Pony Package came with 17" rims, deluxe models had smaller ones.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:29 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Check out this thread;

https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s...y-2007-v6.html
Old 12-03-2012, 10:31 PM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

i get 30mpg on the motorway and about 20 around town
Old 12-03-2012, 10:57 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Are you hand calculating instead of using the on-board (and IF you 're using the on-board, you should be resetting it at each fill-up or you're not seeing your CURRENT average fuel mileage). Performance tunes yield little to no fuel mileage improvement. An economy tune might but it's not worth the embaressment as 85 year old grannies pop you the finger for not being able to accelerate fast enough.

In city driving, the 4.0 is no fuel mileage winner by any means and it has a lot to do with your driving style let alone location.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:27 AM
tatterz

I've had the car for half a year but have only put 2k miles on it because the mileage is bad lol. I bought it used from a dealer, 1 owner, and its currently got 53k miles.

I saw that thread but possibly wanted to get more insight from more people.

I would be more than happy if I got 20mpg (I do all city driving). My friend just got a 2012 v6, 310 hp and 21mpg city. I just find it ridiculous my car hits around 200 hp, weighs 3300 pounds and only manages 16.5mpg. My dads Lexus SUV weights 5200 pounds, 270 hp, and 18mpg.

I have the new fuel filter, I just need to install it. Air filter is pretty much new. I will also try sea foam and fuel injector cleaner. I took it to a shop a bit ago to inquire about my exhaust and they had mentioned something about either my wheel beerings and ball joint but not sure if that could affect mileage too much. I wish i just knew (from the previous owner) what mpgs this car has achieved through the years.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:10 AM
steev
2nd Gear Member

Remember the 4.0 isn't particularly efficient. Around 50bhp/liter is a terrible power ratio. Your friend's 2012 is using an entirely different engine to yours.

However, I found that in my first couple of weeks driving, I'm leveling out at about 21.9 mpg (29 on highways), shifting at or below 2,500rpm most of the time, and sometimes sprinting from the lights. I track my fuel ups on Fuelly (had to have a partial fuel up on saturday because the BP nozzle and my tank decided that 6 gallons was enough :|) and that basically does the hand calculations for you, gives a more accurate MPG because it isn't calculating on the fly or counting MPG from the last few months.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:21 AM
tatterz

For those who are getting good mileage (19+):
  • How?
  • Was there a time you were getting mediocre or poor mileage and you made a recovery and are now making great mpg? If so, how did you solve it?
  • How much significance does changing the fuel filter/spark plugs have on mpg if your car has 53k miles and I'm not sure if its been done yet?

All the "poor gas mileage" threads I've ever read always have someone complaining about mileage but they never come back on and say "I've fixed it and get great mileage now!!". I guess people either tough it out or sell it. Not sure I want to tough out crap mileage.

I drive without A/C on, drive very lightly and handcalculate my mpgs. Nothing seems to make a difference. I'm hoping changing the fuel filter and seafoam have a great impact.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:53 AM
Marky82
2nd Gear Member

I get about 17 mpg city and 19 mpg mixed. If I go for long highway drives I can get between 20-22 mpgs. I live in CT where there is a lot of highway traffic and traffic lights so all that stop and go driving doesn't help mileage.

I have about 53,500 miles on my 07. How many do you have? If it's a lot maybe new spark plugs would help?

//mark
Old 12-04-2012, 12:43 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

the 2013 gt's are built with an eco friendly engine... ive thought to myself, well ****, i could have way more power and be getting gas milage; this isn't fair!
i average between 17 and 19 mpg and i drive my car pretty hard.
I'd suggest a new fuel filter, see where that takes you. If it hasn't been changed since you've had the car, I'd highly suggest seeing the outcome. I need a new one too, and im at about 74k.
get a new fuel filter and tell me how it goes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 07 V6 poor gas mileage