Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

I just want more power!

Old 03-24-2013, 01:28 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

Default I just want more power!

Driving home last night I raced an evo and got smoked. I knew I would anyway, this thing was turbo charged. Anyway, before you bicker about illegal street racing, I'd just like some advice.
I've got a CAI with a 91 tune. Thats about it for power. Gears, underdrive pulleys, exhaust, have all been in the picture, but with a small sense of power. Aside from going all out (which I'd love to) with a turbo/supercharger, what are some power mods that will help me out? The GT is in the picture. Some day..
Thanks
Old 03-24-2013, 07:22 PM
Arkansas V6

to get any power gains on the 4.0 staying naturally aspirated, (staying under or around 300 for each) you really only have the options of tuner, CAI, and headers (which really have no way of sounding good on our 4.0s). but you could shell out some big bucks for an aluminum flywheel or pulleys. Headers will probably give most power but again they pretty much sound awful. As far as other exhaust mods besides headers youll gain little power if any. to get any large amount of power youll have to go FI or have motor work done. and gears wont give you "Power", just put the power to the ground more
efficently. not a whole lot you can do with out 4.0s

I know you listed some of the things i stated but this is my 2 cents.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:22 PM
Murgatroy
2nd Gear Member

Put a new gear in it. That will be your biggest and cheapest game changer.

The Evo puts out 300 or so horses and does it at all four corners. Turbo AWD cars will run like raped apes.

To be honest, there are certain fights you won't win, and you need to learn to avoid them. That means that you can race the soccer mom in her Camry. You can race most kids in Civics, but anything that is meant to be a fun car is going to eat you alive.

Even if you go with all the bolt ons available, less a power adder, you won't be putting more than around 250WHP down.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:38 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

your not going to get any decent power after a tune and CAI besides for going full cams and heads and what not or FI. thats why im building my car to go around corners lol
Old 03-25-2013, 02:15 AM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
To be honest, there are certain fights you won't win, and you need to learn to avoid them. That means that you can race the soccer mom in her Camry. You can race most kids in Civics, but anything that is meant to be a fun car is going to eat you alive.
+1,000,000.

I'm sorry to say, but without going FI, you won't stand a chance against anything respectable. While it may be fun to compare your modded car against a faster car, you won't really even stand a chance of winning. What I plan on doing with mine is give it decent speed and mostly focus on the looks. You'll just have to wait and get that GT to compete.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:01 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

you want power with your 4.0 youll need cams, longtubes, and a good dyno tune. to top it off steep gears would be good. (if you really want good acceleration check out 410s or 4.56, etc. ) keep in mind, steeper gears = better acceleration, less top speed.

I say wait and get a terminator. ill say it over and over, those cars can stand up to anything if done right. But im biased, it is my favorite mustang!
Old 03-25-2013, 11:13 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

these cars aint fast...my company van is nearly as quick as mine...
tbh i dont think i would wanna go to quick in a mustang..they're not the best handling car i've ever owned.
in fact it's about the most unstable car i've ever owned...shame as the styling is so good..
high speed stabilty lol no way.
u wanna go super quick and beat just about any car you'll ever come against this is wot u need
Name:  1238956443_zps8f73bb75.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  84.2 KB

can run 8.4 quater mile and do 210 mph when the top speed restriction is removed

this is my bike
Name:  DSCF1812.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  237.8 KB
make a v8 stang look like it's in reverse..i raced one last year...he never got a lookin.
i lurves me bikes

Last edited by Rudolph Hucker; 03-25-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:50 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tigercrazy718
your not going to get any decent power after a tune and CAI besides for going full cams and heads and what not or FI. thats why im building my car to go around corners lol
For sure thats what my plan is. I've got many windy turns and mountains where i live. They just rebuilt the main road recently where you can open up big time. Definately a blast in my dad's GT...
Old 03-25-2013, 12:52 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hucker
these cars aint fast...my company van is nearly as quick as mine...
tbh i dont think i would wanna go to quick in a mustang..they're not the best handling car i've ever owned.
in fact it's about the most unstable car i've ever owned...shame as the styling is so good..
high speed stabilty lol no way.
u wanna go super quick and beat just about any car you'll ever come against this is wot u need

can run 8.4 quater mile and do 210 mph when the top speed restriction is removed

this is my bike

make a v8 stang look like it's in reverse..i raced one last year...he never got a lookin.
i lurves me bikes
Yeah I'd have one by now if i could but the fact my brother died on one last year wouldn't give me good results from the family. thanks for the tip though
Old 03-25-2013, 01:21 PM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

sorry to hear that dude..tis true bikes are deadly.
if it was me and it is me in fact..i'm selling mine asap and getting either a v8 or a shellby

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I just want more power!