Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Decklid Emblem Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 01:04 PM
smittystang

Default Decklid Emblem Modifications

Alright,

So I am the less is more type, and while I want to black out my mustang as much as possible I don't like decklid covers, or the turn signal/headlight/taillight covers (maybe down the road Ill save up for some actual smoked headlights/taillights)....

This brings me to my quest to black out the chrome on the rear decklid emblem of my 2013 V6. I've seen forums where people pop off theirs, plastidip it, then reattach and 3M tape it.... but this seems... amateur.

Has anyone done this? How well does the emblem reattach? Does it looks as flush and nice as it did from the factory?

I want to make the car look better but dont want to be counter productive and after I've taken it off and painted it, it looks bad because it doesnt re-seat correctly. Any advice?

Ive also looked at decklid emblem covers but I can't find any for the V6 mustangs.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-01-2013, 01:12 PM
krazykevin
2nd Gear Member

One aspect of plastidip is that you can paint the emblem on the car without removing it. This keeps the emblem perfectly aligned, but gives you the blacked out look you are going for.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:13 PM
smittystang

Thank you!!!
Old 04-01-2013, 02:45 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Plasti-dip is a rubber compound spray that is the same color as your tires. If you don't like it, you can peal it off! I helped plasti-dip my buddies 2010 stock wheels, which are the exact same wheels you have. You can purchase cans of plasti-dip at Home Depot.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:57 PM
BTR-75
1st Gear Member

My 2010 GT came with a decklid cover and I plasti-dipped the emblem a few months back. I taped off a decent portion of the back, not as much as one car I recently saw posted, but taped it off none the less and used the spray version of plasti-dip and it turned out great.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:05 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BTR-75
My 2010 GT came with a decklid cover and I plasti-dipped the emblem a few months back. I taped off a decent portion of the back, not as much as one car I recently saw posted, but taped it off none the less and used the spray version of plasti-dip and it turned out great.

I do like what you did with your 2010 taillights....so much better than the stock ones!
Old 04-01-2013, 05:49 PM
smittystang

Originally Posted by BTR-75

Looks really good man, Im not sure how mine will come out if I completely black it out. Im thinking of leaving the red white and blue strip untouched. I also want to do the pony on the front grille.

Nice UCF plate, I live right up the road a bit in Orlando.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:44 AM
BTR-75
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
I do like what you did with your 2010 taillights....so much better than the stock ones!
Thanks

Originally Posted by smittystang
Looks really good man, Im not sure how mine will come out if I completely black it out. Im thinking of leaving the red white and blue strip untouched. I also want to do the pony on the front grille.

Nice UCF plate, I live right up the road a bit in Orlando.
I'm up in Tallahassee now, but the wife and I both graduated from UCF and we both have UCF vanity plates.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:55 AM
smittystang

Originally Posted by krazykevin
One aspect of plastidip is that you can paint the emblem on the car without removing it. This keeps the emblem perfectly aligned, but gives you the blacked out look you are going for.
Blacked Out Emblems with Plasti Dip - YouTube
Researched the crap out of this stuff and Im going to go pick some up from Home Depot after work today and do my rear and front emblem. Ill put up pics once I finish. Seen alot of people doing their stock rims in the plastidip but Im not a huge fan of the look, probably just going to leave the stock rims alone and wait to get nice ones with some black, same as waiting for smoked head/tail lights instead of putting a $2 plastic strip over them.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:14 AM
krazykevin
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by smittystang
Researched the crap out of this stuff and Im going to go pick some up from Home Depot after work today and do my rear and front emblem. Ill put up pics once I finish. Seen alot of people doing their stock rims in the plastidip but Im not a huge fan of the look, probably just going to leave the stock rims alone and wait to get nice ones with some black, same as waiting for smoked head/tail lights instead of putting a $2 plastic strip over them.

This is how i did mine. I painted the whole thing and let it dry. Then i peeled it off of the paint and off of the center area.

Quick Reply: Decklid Emblem Modifications