Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Getting a spare key made?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 08:40 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Default Getting a spare key made?

I have two key fobs but only one key. I searched and got a little confused about the process... Does the key itself have a chip in it that needs to be programmed or just the fob? (2007 Mustang.) Next what key do we have to buy? Does anyone know the part number for the key and can it be cut at any hardware store or is this something that has to be done at ford? Last if the key does need programming is that where you turn the car on/off 7 times with a normal key then turn it on with the new key or how does it work? Thanks for your help.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:58 PM
JimC

Both have chips and are programmed separately.

BUT, if you only have one working key then you have to go to the dealer to get a second key made and programmed. You can't program a key unless you already have two working keys in your possession (keeps valets etc from making a key because it won't work).

Once you have two working keys you can program additional keys (up to 7 I think). I bought a key off Ebay and had it cut at the local locksmith; after losing one of my keys and having to get one at the dealer. Now I always have a third key made so that if I lose one I still have 2 working keys and can program a new one myself.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:20 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Where is the chip in these? I don't see anything unless its hidden in the plastic?
Old 04-30-2013, 06:36 PM
Murgatroy
2nd Gear Member

It is hidden in the plastic. It is just a small RF ID chip.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:13 AM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Heh ok. Thanks guys, guessing its gunna cost an arm and a leg
Old 05-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

I think my spare was about $200. Didn't care as Ford had to pay for it.

Matthew
Old 05-04-2013, 11:56 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Key Programming — Additional Key With One Programmed Key
NOTE: This procedure is used when a customer needs to have an additional key programmed into the vehicle without erasing stored key codes, but does not have 2 programmed keys available. This procedure is also useful when attempting to determine if an ignition key is defective, as a new key can be installed without erasing keys or without having 2 programmed keys available.
the only way to program another key with just 1 key is by plugging it in to the Worldwide Diagnostic System computer and reprogramming, this way it will not erase the code to your hidden key.

Key Programming — Program a Key Using Two Programmed Keys
if you have to programmed keys available then you can program additional keys without taking it to the dealer.
NOTE: This procedure works only if 2 or more programmed ignition keys are available and additional programmed key(s) are desired.

if you can find your hidden key you can program additional keys yourself and save about $110.00 for programming which is what our service department charges.

Insert a programmed ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position (maintain the ignition switch in the RUN position for 3 seconds, but not longer than 10 seconds).
Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and remove the first key from the ignition lock cylinder.
Within 10 seconds of turning the ignition switch to the OFF position, insert a second programmed ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position (maintain the ignition switch in the RUN position for 3 seconds, but not longer than 10 seconds).
Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and remove the second key from the ignition lock cylinder.
Within 20 seconds of turning the ignition switch to the OFF position, insert the unprogrammed ignition key (new key) into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position (attempt to start the vehicle).
If additional programmed key(s) are desired, repeat the key programming procedure.

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=411&viewfile=Anti-Theft.pdf
Old 05-04-2013, 02:26 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

For additional keys, is it necessary to start the car for each new key or just hold it for 3 seconds? I have 2 working keys but only one FOB. I thought about getting a couple of more spares.

Last edited by 07 Stang; 05-04-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:26 PM
jesse1125
2nd Gear Member

You don't put it in the start position, you put it in your run position. That's right before start. You can play your radio without starting the car in that position.

Before you go to the dealer to get keys made and programmed call locksmith's and see if they can do it. It's much cheaper.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:24 PM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

Go with the locksmith. It is half of the dealers cost to have a second key programmed. Once you have 2, you can have cut as many as you want (up to 8???) with out having to have the dealer or the locksmith code them. If you have 2, the system will program any other keys you have to work correctly, but you have to have the 2 made correct keys first. (I have 4 programmed keys and all work including a hide a key style from a Lincoln). Good luck.

Quick Reply: Getting a spare key made?