Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > V6 S197 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 04-30-2013, 11:56 PM   #1
Jasoon
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang V6
Jason Purcell
Default 4.0 Valve Cover removal

So I Finally have a possible plan to paint my mustang's Valve covers.... and the paint guy tells me he'll cut the price in half if I'll be the one to remove and reinstall the valve covers & Strut Tower Bar after painting. I got a Ford Boss Strut Tower Brace, but the silver metal looked really out of place with so much underhood stuff painted copper.

I've removed my Dakota's Valve covers before, and what an ordeal that turned into. Engine slightly under the cab of the truck, 14 bolts per side, Brake booster in the way, new gasket didn't seal so I actually had to do one side 3 times.

SO, the real question is how much effort is needed to remove the V6 valve covers?

As for installing the strut tower brace: Remove 2 screws from either side, slide on brace, put on new screws and torque them down. Am I missing anything? (Yes, I got 4 new nuts because I read that Ford says they are single use nuts)
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

Last edited by Jasoon; 04-30-2013 at 11:59 PM.
Jasoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:23 AM   #2
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang

I have replaced the ones on my 07 with painted covers. It wasn't a big deal. Fairly simple and straight forward. I found that on the right side, you remove the battery for full access to the cover and no problems. The left i tighter, but isn't that difficult. The gaskets sit into seams, so they won't leak. You won't have much problem doing it yourself. Just remember you need a deep socket for the long stemmed studs. Other than that, I can't think of anything that is in your way. You'll like the look when it's done.
Black '07 4.0 coupe. 19" GT Wheels, Bullitt susp & GT brake upgrade, GT500 strut plates, Dynomax exhaust w/GT mufflers, S/D Coil, Live Wires, JLT CAI w/Diablo tune, Hood struts, IPU, GT MyColor, Leather Pwr Seats, 13 Boss Strg Wheel, a/dim mirror, Homelink, amb light console, Ford Nav/SYNC, hood scoop, qtr & side scoops, r/w louvers, GT500 spoiler, CS/GT frt & rr bumpers, rad ext & batt-m/cyl covers, underhood caps, plenum cover, tloc 7.5 w/3.73's, Seq t/lights, trunk switch. Whew!
akdoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang

Its not too much of a pain in the ***, def. doable without driving you crazy.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:18 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement