Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > V6 S197 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 05-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
STSGuy

Vehicle: 2007 Mustang V6 Pony Package, 2003 Cadillac STS, 2004 Mazda Miata GT
andy957
Default Newbie question: First mod recommendation?

I just bought my 2007 V6 Pony Package (black/black) coupe. It's pretty much stock. Am thinking about what might be my first modification. Is there something that all you experienced Mustang owners would recommend as a starting place? Exhaust? Scoop? etc.

Thanks!!
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
STSGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by STSGuy View Post
I just bought my 2007 V6 Pony Package (black/black) coupe. It's pretty much stock. Am thinking about what might be my first modification. Is there something that all you experienced Mustang owners would recommend as a starting place? Exhaust? Scoop? etc.

Thanks!!
Intake+Tune combo from somewhere like American Muscle or at least a tune if you can't swing them both.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

What are you looking for? Performance mods or visual mods? Like 2005redfire6 stated, CAI & custom tunes are probably the best 1st mod unless you intend to go FI, in which case you'll open up a whole other discussion (cost to FI a V6 vs. trading up for the GT).
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
UPRSharad
Sponsor

Vehicle: 2011, Ford, Mustang GT
www.facebook.com/sraldiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by STSGuy View Post

Thanks!!
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-e...prings-05.html

^^definitely those lowering springs!

Like us at www.facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
UPRSharad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
teetertotter
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: Communmity Volunteering, NRA Competitive Off Hand Shooting, Family, Golf
Default CAI

Install a S&B CAI and gain 3mpg hwy. Anything else, not much of gain, except maybe a jump off the line and may have to use premium gas with a tune. IMHO. Buy a GT if looking for a gain in the 1/4 mile or add a supercharger to your 6.

I assume you want to see gain in the 1/4 mile???
Glare.com, 130K miles, Orig. Owner
USAF Veteran
Old 05-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #6
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Ford Mustang

CAI/tune combo!
Best performance gain for the money.

- 2005, 4.0 - Missing 2 cylinders :-/
- SCT Xcal3 w/ Brenspeed Custom Tunes
- Airaid CAI
- Pypes Streetpro Exhaust
- AM Front Chin Spoiler
- AM Quarter window louvers
- SHR honeycomb decklid panel
- Cobra R wheels
- Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs
- Billet Honeycomb Chrome Front Grille Overlay
- Smoked tail lights & turn signals, Mustang 3rd brake light decal
- Raxiom sequential tail light kit
kevinmalec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetertotter View Post
Install a S&B CAI and gain 3mpg hwy. Anything else, not much of gain, except maybe a jump off the line and may have to use premium gas with a tune...
WTF?

Yes, a stand alone CAI isn't worth chit. A CAI & good custom tune on the 4.0 is good for about 15-20 RWHP and you can pick whichever octane tune you want. Even a custom 87 octane tune will run circles around the stock 87 tune.
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:13 PM   #8
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
WTF?

Yes, a stand alone CAI isn't worth chit. A CAI & good custom tune on the 4.0 is good for about 15-20 RWHP and you can pick whichever octane tune you want. Even a custom 87 octane tune will run circles around the stock 87 tune.
LOL! Oh man, I love all the "knowledge" people bring to this forum

Old 05-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #9
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008, V6, PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetertotter View Post
Install a S&B CAI and gain 3mpg hwy. Anything else, not much of gain, except maybe a jump off the line and may have to use premium gas with a tune. IMHO. Buy a GT if looking for a gain in the 1/4 mile or add a supercharger to your 6.

I assume you want to see gain in the 1/4 mile???
Not this again... There are PLENTY of ways to give your sixxer that extra "oomph". As explained by others, intake+tune will definitely help with your alluring 1/4 mile times, however an 8.8" rear end with tlok and steeper gearing will also knock a huge chunk off of your 60' and 1/4 mile time.

I know a few 4.0L owners who with those above mods were able to get into mid 14s and that was with the nasty stock rubber and zero track experience.

I'm not sure why you think forced induction is the only power adder available to V6 owners, but your information is incorrect.

Oh, and that intake you go on about is likely not gaining you 3 MPG. Forcing more air into a motor that is historically already tuned to run lean from factory (thanks Ford), and without retuning the ECU to manage that air will not lead to better anything.

Steeda CAI, 91 tune, GT axle-backs w/ H-pipe, P/P stock TB. Dinosaurs!
aaquib1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #10
jthorn9
The Godfather

Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT
Jeremy Thorner jthorn9

CAI & Tune
Lowering kit
shock strut kit
lower control arms
strut tower brace
8.8" rear swap with 3.73 gears
dual exhaust conversion
supercharger

The supercharger would be optional but the best buy but doing everything else would drastically improve the cars performance. Suspension is often so over looked and is one of the key aspects to drastically improving a cars performance and even helps with normal everyday driving by further stabilizing your ride when making tight turns or for that "sudden avoidance" that occurs when dodging a moron and maintaining control.

08 Mustang GT - 285 RWHP, 305 TQ (sold)
99 Mustang SVT Cobra - 280 RWHP, 290 TQ (sold)
11 Mustang V6 - 270 RWHP, 260 TQ (sold)
95 Mustang Cobra - N/A 250 RWHP, 275 TQ; S/C 400 RWHP, 400 TQ (sold)
97 Mustang GT - 190 RWHP, 250 TQ (sold)
00 Mustang V6 - 145 RWHP, 184 TQ (sold)
98 Mustang V6 - 125 RWHP, 210 TQ (sold)
jthorn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:40 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement