Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Limp mode question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 02:42 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Default Limp mode question

So I just got in the car, drive to the bank and its a long straight slightly hilly road, 30mph. I had cruise control on at 33mph and as I went up hill the cruise control shut off and the car went into limp mode. Cruise wouldn't turn back on (I'm sure it's a feature of limp mode?) anyway I got to the bank, went in for ten minutes, came out and the car started up and ran just fine. So I was thinking maybe it had to do with the cruise control on the hill at a low speed like that, so I tried it again and it worked perfect all the way home and was not in limp mode. Can anyone tell me what they think happened or if I should be concerned? Could it just be that a sensor for some reason or another was reading wrong and sent it into limp mode the when I restarted the car it functioned fine?

Thanks for your input.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:11 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I have no idea but I believe that the CC has a minimum speed value. Check the OM and see if it discusses it but I find it hard to believe that riding on that min value (if it even exists) would cause limp mode.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:42 AM
gennss
1st Gear Member

What's limp mode?
Old 06-19-2013, 10:42 AM
red96v6
2nd Gear Member

Check your intake tubing for any air leaks, and make sure your MAF sensor is tight and clean. Do you have any wiring modifications? Recent work done? Raining?

CC minimum is 25-30mph I believe...

Originally Posted by gennss
What's limp mode?
Limp mode is active when the wrench light is displayed on the dash. Basically the computer senses some malfunction in the vehicles power train and severely limits engine performance and output to prevent damage but still allows you to limp home.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:25 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

As long as everything has been back to normal, I'd simply consider it an anomaly and hope it doesn't happen again. Reoccurring gremlins are a major pain to track down.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:00 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Just did it again yesterday. This time nothing with CC. I was at a stoplight and it happened. I got to my destination, turned the car off and went about my business, came back and the car started up fine with no limp mode. I'm wondering if its not the MAF. I had that happen in the past and I cleaned it and it solved my problem, I'll have to take a look at it later.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:09 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

I'd start with the MAF sensor too. I recommend you keep your tuner in the car and next time it happens, pull the codes.

Maybe have bamatunes take a look at your tune?
Old 06-21-2013, 11:08 AM
red96v6
2nd Gear Member

Double check the integrity of the wiring also, if you had to alter it for the X-Charger.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:37 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Just drove it and the engine light actually came on with the wrench. I restarted the car and then just the engine light stayed on. I pulled the code and got DTC: "P2135 THROTTLE/PEDDLE POSITION SENSOR/SWITCH A/B VOLTAGE CORRELATION". Could this be my battery? Because the car has been taking a lot longer to turn over than it did last year and last winter I put it in storage and forgot to disconnect the battery (ugh) and it was pretty dang dead by the time I took it out of storage.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:48 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Sounds like you have a failing throttle position sensor, I've heard of it happening on S197s before so it's not uncommon. I think it was even a TSB on the older (05/06) models.

Unrelated to the DTC codes it sounds like you might also have a charging system problem from your issue with the car turning over. Probably a battery with low voltage, but take it in and have midas/napa/autozone or whoever run a check to make sure it's not your alternator. And replace that battery soon because it could potentially damage your alternator in the long run.

Quick Reply: Limp mode question