Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Drive Yours in Snow Country All Winter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 02:36 PM
dared3vil0
1st Gear Member

The reasons it's all pickups and SUV's in the ditch is because they snick that little lever into "4hi" they assume they can never get stuck, never slide off the road, and drive as if it was a sunny summer day.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:33 AM
Dave McFly

Question

As a person that lives near Lake Erie we get hit with snow a lot, and as much as it pains me to do so, I have no choice but to drive my car in the 'white crap'. My car has the 17" with the Pirelli tires, I plan on putting some slightly smaller steel wheels with snow tires on the back 2. My car does have the TCS, does that help at all in the snow? I hear some of you say you do not need extra weight in the back, and some say yeah ya do, I am just curious what is the absolute best way to make my Mustang drivable in the snow.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:46 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

what is snow and winter?
Old 09-17-2013, 12:51 AM
Dave McFly

oh ha ha :P
Old 09-17-2013, 12:52 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Originally Posted by steev
I'd completely understand if it were a 1000cc sportsbike, but weather happens and the thing about cars is you don't get soaked and cold. My dad avoids getting on his Hayabusa if there's any risk of rain or even if he had a couple of beers the night before...

I used to ride my Hayabusa all the time and got caught in the rain a few times..it poured on my honda vtx 1800 on my trip to canada from georgia
Old 09-17-2013, 06:09 AM
JimC

Originally Posted by Dave McFly
As a person that lives near Lake Erie we get hit with snow a lot, and as much as it pains me to do so, I have no choice but to drive my car in the 'white crap'. My car has the 17" with the Pirelli tires, I plan on putting some slightly smaller steel wheels with snow tires on the back 2. My car does have the TCS, does that help at all in the snow? I hear some of you say you do not need extra weight in the back, and some say yeah ya do, I am just curious what is the absolute best way to make my Mustang drivable in the snow.
I'm in SE Michigan - and drive year round with a 45 mile one way commute. Had a 2006 V6 with a supercharger, on the Pirellis and never got stuck. No extra weight. The problem with that extra weight is that if you do have a problem and a sudden stop in a ditch, that weight doesn't sit there and will continue to move through the seat back and aimed right at you.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:29 PM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

TCS? YES! Liikewise for antilock brakes. Try turning them off if you aren't sure if they are worth it.

Snow Tires? I like traction in the winter. If you swap them out in spring, it don't cost any more to run than regular tires. I get front snows because I also like to turn and stop. Is that necessary? Do you prefer bald tires on the fronts in summer?

Weight in the back? I don't think it helps and I agree with the JimC about the danger.

I hope this helps, Just my opinion.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:08 PM
jackdeath
1st Gear Member

I'll letyou know this winter, were in Wisconsin are you?
Old 09-23-2013, 09:07 AM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

I am in Colorado. Ski Country USA. Blizzards up to 24". When I out-dragged a HEMI Jeep uphill after a blizzard, I knew I had got the tires right.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:55 PM
STSGuy

I had this question too, just bought a (new to me) 07 V6 (automatic) and live in Toronto. Last winter was abominable snow-wise, so I don't think I would have risked it at all, some intersections had so much snow piled up that you couldn't see around the corner whether it was safe to make a turn. However in light snow I'm still wondering if it's worth the risk. I also have a Miata and I know from experience that at least without snow tires, the car is a virtual sled in the snow.

Quick Reply: Drive Yours in Snow Country All Winter?