Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

10" Shelby Stripes on 2014 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 08:24 PM
Mike1Six

Default 10" Shelby Stripes on 2014 Mustang

So I bit the bullet and decided to do stripes. 10" matte black Shelby stripes on deep impact blue.

Does anyone have any experience applying racing stripes to the 2013-14 mustang? Even if you've got experience with other model years, I am all ears.

I've divided up the project into 5 sections and if I tackle this on my own it'll be over the course of two days. I can be pretty patient when I want to be, but I know myself... When I'm tired, I get pissy, when I get pissy, I have a tendency to rush things.
  • Front Bumper
  • Rear Bumper
  • Hood
  • Trunk Lid
  • Cab

The Trunk Lid/spoiler, hood, and Cab seem simple enough and straight forward. I am certain with a little patience I can do the front bumper just fine. What scares me is the rear bumper. Especially, below the license plate. Ford has a lot of Kibble back there... There is a wide Plastic insert that serves as the back plate for the license plate, There is a little more bumper after that, then you have two reflectors on both sides of the car, then a little more bumper, and then..... a black plastic insert that spans across the back, and then, of course the roll pan is not like previous models, the under-body/rear is one solid piece which is color matched to the rest of the car.

Can you guys post pics of there 13-14 with stripes especially the rear so I can see how you did it?

From what I've read this is not hard, just tedious. Keep in mind, I don't won't to throw away the 160 dollars I just spent. I am considering have in a pro do it. But I refuse to pay more than 250.

Thanks for the input, and yeah i've searched but like to get some more specific input.

Last edited by Mike1Six; 08-26-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:51 PM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

I did the hood, roof, trunk then the front bumper in that order. I would show pics of the back but I still have to do the rear bumper. Actually the rear bumper to me looks the easiest, except for the back up censors it is pretty flat.
You do have to overlap in the front bumper and on the spoiler. Front bumper put the front on first and overlap it with the top, spoiler put the back on first and overlap it with the top.
Name:  Stripes001_zps89b6324f.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  84.1 KB
I really need to finish the rear bumper
Old 08-26-2013, 09:36 PM
Mike1Six

Thanks for the tips. I was thinking I could do the front in a solid piece. I guess that isn't the case?

When you say over lap, do you mean cut into multiple pieces? for example, to do the front bumper, you say do the front first and overlap the front with top. So essentially, the top stripes are on top of the edge edge of the stripes of the front? Sorry, if that's confusing. I'm trying to get a visual. Does this leave a visible crease where these meet/overlap?

Did you use a heatgun? I would think a heat gun would make the vynil more pliable and easier to work with. Of course, I've read you use the heatgun to make it stick. It's going to be hard to mold and fit to counters if it's sticking.

By the way you have a beautiful car. I've always loved that color since since I first saw a SN195 with grey bullitts in a mall back 10 or so years ago. I think the only reason I got the DIB was because of the DIB shelby on the showroom floor. Probably the same reason I want the Shelby stripes now.

So here is a video I just found and the job looks really well done.
. If you look closely it appears there is a "cutout" needed for the reflectors in the rear.

Last edited by Mike1Six; 08-26-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:54 AM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mike1Six
Thanks for the tips. I was thinking I could do the front in a solid piece. I guess that isn't the case?

When you say over lap, do you mean cut into multiple pieces? for example, to do the front bumper, you say do the front first and overlap the front with top. So essentially, the top stripes are on top of the edge edge of the stripes of the front? Sorry, if that's confusing. I'm trying to get a visual. Does this leave a visible crease where these meet/overlap?

Did you use a heatgun? I would think a heat gun would make the vynil more pliable and easier to work with. Of course, I've read you use the heatgun to make it stick. It's going to be hard to mold and fit to counters if it's sticking.

By the way you have a beautiful car. I've always loved that color since since I first saw a SN195 with grey bullitts in a mall back 10 or so years ago. I think the only reason I got the DIB was because of the DIB shelby on the showroom floor. Probably the same reason I want the Shelby stripes now.

So here is a video I just found and the job looks really well done. If you look closely it appears there is a "cutout" needed for the reflectors in the rear.
Yes you will overlap it a quarter of an inch or so. trying to do it in 1 piece it will be crooked. The Vinyl I got from AM forms in pretty good, I have the Camera spoiler on mine and it has some pretty good recesses and no heat gun.
Cuts are not bad, after you have done a few.
Also i have seen some not do the very bottom of the rear, although I plan on it.