Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 12:24 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jande063
It sounds like there is a bit of an exhaust leak somehere up front, I would check all four ends of your X-pipe, and check whether your O2 sensors are fully seated.
I have a few questions about the BBK long tubes for the 3.7L. I was wondering if anyone happened to know the difference in underhood temps between the stock manifolds, the chrome long tubes(should be vey close to stock temperature), and the ceramic coated long tubes(should be lower, but by how much)? Also, how does the ceramic coating hold up over time, and is it ok to use header wrap to further insulate against heat transfer to the general engine compartment, and the same for the chrome coated tubes? Thank you for your time.
Very good question which I feel should be answered as well, but the thing is, the only way to get a perfect example of how much it lowers temps is to put the car in a controlled environment so that the outside temperature is the same when you compare the ceramic vs non-ceramic.

We know for sure ceramic coating does drop temperatures, but the likelyhood of anyone finding the exact number in which the temperature decreases is going to be hard to find. Regardless, I do enough road racing to get the ceramic coat, so I would go for it anyway, it's not too much more, so might as well.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:57 PM
2011V6Nicole
2nd Gear Member

Im not sure about the actual temps but the chrome ones put off more heat than the stock manifolds just based on opening the hood after driving for a while. Luckily I have vents in the top of my hood so the heat from the headers goes straight up and out
Old 10-08-2013, 08:10 PM
baibbas
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jande063
It sounds like there is a bit of an exhaust leak somehere up front, I would check all four ends of your X-pipe, and check whether your O2 sensors are fully seated.
I have a few questions about the BBK long tubes for the 3.7L. I was wondering if anyone happened to know the difference in underhood temps between the stock manifolds, the chrome long tubes(should be vey close to stock temperature), and the ceramic coated long tubes(should be lower, but by how much)? Also, how does the ceramic coating hold up over time, and is it ok to use header wrap to further insulate against heat transfer to the general engine compartment, and the same for the chrome coated tubes? Thank you for your time.
Nope, not up front...the O2 sensors are seated so tight it's not funny and have loc-tite on them...the headers are on tight as well....made sure all the nuts threaded easily before tightening them down....

The smell is coming from under the car near the rear, so my dumb butt didn't raise the pipe enough before I tightened the clamps...duh on me!

The only other smell is the ceramic headers curing.