Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > V6 S197 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 10-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
amaNIN

Vehicle: 2008 ford mustang
Default low reading on dip

Has anybody ever gotten a low reading on the dipstick after putting 5.1 quarts of oil in an S197 v6 crankcase? The capacity is 5 quarts and I am still getting a low reading. The level is maybe a half inch below the top hole on the dip. Just wondering if this is unusual. My 1.9L Saturn was 4 quarts every change, so this was my first change with the pony so I am just wondering...:icon_qu estion:
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
amaNIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

First, as long as you're between the 2 holes on the dipstick, your level is fine. Second, if you've added over 5 quarts and you still believe it's reading low, then I'd have to ask if you're using the OE Motorcraft filter or some other, possibly oversized, filter. Either way, I wouldn't sweat being in between the 2 holes with 5.1 quarts.
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
amaNIN

Ahhh that's it! The filter I replaced was almost twice as big as the old one. I was like, "WHAAAAAA!" when I first compared the two. The thread looked the same and there was room for it so idk. That explains the low reading. More oil will go into the filter. Thanx dude! I never would have figured that out.I only spent 6 bucks on the filter and I think it was a toughguard but not sure. doesn't really matter what kind of filter u get, does it?
Old 10-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013 V6 MCA Performance Package, Comfort Package, Securtity Package and Electronics Package

I run Motorcraft on mine. You must have bought a PH8A Fram, I can't remember if it is 1/4 of a quart or 1/2 quart over the stock filter.
BTW that is the same oil filter my 4.0 in my old Explorer ran.
GMR Member 257

Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaNIN View Post
... Thanx dude!...
No problem. Two heads are better than one.
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Old 10-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
amaNIN

Its a Puralator brand filter. And yeah Ive got an explorer engine in my pony. So why do they make larger filters? More filtering space to filter I guess.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #7
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang

Quote:
Ahhh that's it! The filter I replaced was almost twice as big as the old one. I was like, "WHAAAAAA!" when I first compared the two. The thread looked the same and there was room for it so idk. That explains the low reading. More oil will go into the filter. Thanx dude! I never would have figured that out.I only spent 6 bucks on the filter and I think it was a toughguard but not sure. doesn't really matter what kind of filter u get, does it?
Damn, you managed to find a bigger one then the one they already use?!
Old 10-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Quote:
....doesn't really matter what kind of filter u get, does it?
I used to use Fram filter's a LONNNNNG time ago and to be frank, I wasn't very smart knowing what I know now. Fram filters have a bad reputation (at least the older "rag-in-a-can" all orange filters) although the ToughGuard isn't the worst out there.

The OE Motorcraft filters actually have a very good track record. I use them in my wife's '06 V6 Pony since we change her oil within about 6k-7k miles but I use Amsoil eA filters and Mobil1 filters on my Stang and the SUV since I tend to go 8k-12k miles between oil changes. The Motorcraft filter just doesn't seem to hang in there with the others I mentioned over those longer mileages.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #9
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Turbo V6; 2005 V6->V8 swap beast

+1. I use the 820S motorcraft filter; they are better and lower in price than any fram or other brand (walmart sells them locally for under $4).

Normally, a v6 will take around 4.5 quarts with filter. I've never put over 5 quarts into one of my v6's. Make sure the dipstick is all the way down of course.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:01 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement