MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (http://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   V6 S197 General Discussion (http://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s197-general-discussion-48/)
-   -   Vented Carbon Fiber Hoods/Noob Introduction (http://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s197-general-discussion/702273-vented-carbon-fiber-hoods-noob-introduction.html)

Rexton 10-17-2013 06:13 PM

Vented Carbon Fiber Hoods/Noob Introduction
 
Alright guys, I've been lurking on this website and some other forums for a while now and thought I should finally join. I have a mostly stock 2005 Mineral Gray V6, so nothing really worth posting yet, but I'm hoping to buy myself a nice Christmas present.

So my first time posting noob question(s) is(are): Is there any reason to buy one of these hoods in particular? Or any reason to avoid a particular hood/company? If it rains will my car explode? Have I been fooled into thinking these are way cooler than they actually are?

Tiger Race Hood: http://store.chicane23.com/body/tige...2005-2009.html

Seibon SS: http://www.body-kitz.com/contents/en...iber-hood.html

VIS TSW Heat Extractor: http://www.mrbodykit.com/index.php?m...l6t41lk69lapc3

Seibon SSII: http://www.body-kitz.com/contents/en...iber-hood.html

Seibon TS: http://www.body-kitz.com/contents/en...iber-hood.html

Right now I'm very much leaning towards the Tiger Racing hood, but my main concern is the internal exposure to rain/water.

turbo 2.8 10-19-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rexton (Post 8296478)
Alright guys, I've been lurking on this website and some other forums for a while now and thought I should finally join. I have a mostly stock 2005 Mineral Gray V6, so nothing really worth posting yet, but I'm hoping to buy myself a nice Christmas present.

So my first time posting noob question(s) is(are): Is there any reason to buy one of these hoods in particular? Or any reason to avoid a particular hood/company? If it rains will my car explode? Have I been fooled into thinking these are way cooler than they actually are?

Tiger Race Hood: http://store.chicane23.com/body/tige...2005-2009.html

Seibon SS: http://www.body-kitz.com/contents/en...iber-hood.html


VIS TSW Heat Extractor: http://www.mrbodykit.com/index.php?m...l6t41lk69lapc3

Seibon SSII: http://www.body-kitz.com/contents/en...iber-hood.html

Seibon TS: http://www.body-kitz.com/contents/en...iber-hood.html

Right now I'm very much leaning towards the Tiger Racing hood, but my main concern is the internal exposure to rain/water.

I'm not sure about the moisture getting to the engine(although it certainly looks like the engine would be exposed) but you will need some hood pins of some type, because the carbon hoods move around twice as much then the stock aluminum. I went with Aero catch flush mount hood pins
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...psda7bf6c9.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...ps9d7d4461.jpg

CMcNam 10-19-2013 06:43 PM

I know someone who had the Tiger Racing hood and he had a lot of issues with paint flaking within a few months. He went back to his stock hood. I have not heard good things (ever) about Seibon or VIS hoods for Mustangs.

TruCarbon makes some good quality CF hoods.

I wouldn't worry about water, I have vents that open into that area and never have a single issue.

JJHoover 10-21-2013 11:25 AM

is there a particular reason you are wanting carbon fiber? I would just find a fiberglass hood it will be less expensive to buy.

turbo 2.8 10-21-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJHoover (Post 8298039)
is there a particular reason you are wanting carbon fiber? I would just find a fiberglass hood it will be less expensive to buy.

I think most fiberglass hoods are about the same price as carbon, if you plan on having them painted professionally.

2005Redfire6 10-22-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJHoover (Post 8298039)
is there a particular reason you are wanting carbon fiber? I would just find a fiberglass hood it will be less expensive to buy.

Cause it looks like a race car, duh!!!

JJHoover 10-24-2013 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbo 2.8 (Post 8298095)
I think most fiberglass hoods are about the same price as carbon, if you plan on having them painted professionally.

sorry I think the carbon fiber looks tacky but just my opinion, so even if I were to ever get a CF hood I would still have it painted.

JJHoover 10-24-2013 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6 (Post 8298750)
Cause it looks like a race car, duh!!!

it does? hmm most race cars I see have painted body panels.

turbo 2.8 10-24-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJHoover (Post 8298039)
is there a particular reason you are wanting carbon fiber? I would just find a fiberglass hood it will be less expensive to buy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJHoover (Post 8299503)
sorry I think the carbon fiber looks tacky but just my opinion, so even if I were to ever get a CF hood I would still have it painted.

I guess I was trying to answer your first question as to why some would buy carbon, obviously you have a different opinion, so I guess it comes down to individual tastes.
Quote:

Originally Posted by JJHoover (Post 8299504)
it does? hmm most race cars I see have painted body panels.

lol jokes! Eddie is just busting chops, everyone knows a carbon hood adds 5 hp!

Rexton 10-27-2013 04:45 AM

I'm sad to hear about most of the hoods not being up to par. Maybe I'll just have to bite the bullet and hope for the best or go with TruCarbon.

I was actually going to have a paint scheme where only the vents would have their carbon fiber look and the rest would be painted. It would retain it's carbon showey-ness while still being a little different. Thanks for the response guys.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 AM.