Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How much more can I do to this car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 09:21 PM
baibbas
1st Gear Member

Default How much more can I do to this car?

2011 V6 6 Speed

So far:

Cold air intake
Bigger throttle body
Ceramic long tube headers
Catted x pipe
Dual magnaflow axleback exhaust
Bama custom tunes

Was going to get the one piece aluminum driveshaft next, but what else can I do to increase the performance? I don't think I can get anymore horsepower out of it or can I?

Last edited by baibbas; 03-15-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:21 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Gears and cams. supercharger
Old 03-16-2014, 05:50 AM
Chazman_1962
2nd Gear Member

Time for suspension and breaks, I'm in the same boat as you, My reasoning for not buying a GT was strickly gas milage, Car was orginally intended for a daily driver plus I already have a go fast car, 2012 Challenger R/T with 5.7L Hemmi.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:46 PM
baibbas
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by outceltj
Gears and cams. supercharger
You can't put a supercharger on with long tube headers can you?

Edit: Nevermind, just saw that you can!

Good to know!

Last edited by baibbas; 03-16-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:13 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Gears
Old 03-17-2014, 10:48 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by baibbas
2011 V6 6 Speed

So far:

Cold air intake
Bigger throttle body
Ceramic long tube headers
Catted x pipe
Dual magnaflow axleback exhaust
Bama custom tunes

Was going to get the one piece aluminum driveshaft next, but what else can I do to increase the performance? I don't think I can get anymore horsepower out of it or can I?
Originally Posted by baibbas
You can't put a supercharger on with long tube headers can you?

Edit: Nevermind, just saw that you can!

Good to know!
baibbas,

A supercharger would be the next big step for sure! Your Mustang already has all of the optimum bolt-on mods to get the most out of a supercharger too. If you have the funds/budget, it's definitely the next best mod!

We did something very similar with your 2011 v6 Mustang. It has full bolt-ons and Procharger centrifugal supercharger kit. The car made around 450rwhp and was the first 3.7L v6 to break 11's at the quarter mile drag strip. Check it out if you haven't seen it already. It may give you more ideas for your own Mustang.

I would also start looking into building up the suspension next. With all of the power, it's going to be difficult to gain traction on a stock suspension! In addition, I'd run wider wheels in the rear with a sticky summer tire whenever possible.

Hit me up if you have questions on where to go next. I'd be happy to help!

Shane
Old 04-01-2014, 01:12 PM
Wesgel

I couldn't get another v6, first thing people ask you when they hear you got a mustang, "you got the v8 or the v6?" as soon as you say v6 you can see the look in their eyes when they say "oh...", and then you gotta go on a 3 paragraph speech about how your v6 is much better than the regular stock car and all the mods you have done to it...(civic owners have to do this frequently) Not to mention all the jokes about missing 2 cylinders or "should of had a v8" references you will always hear.

I feel like s197 with close to 100k miles or more is the new sn95, people see a 'stang' for cheap and snag it - but they don't have no passion or dedication. Which is why I'm getting a s550 asap. Nothing against sn95s, I love the car but its too old now, and even if it can run 9s, most people (who are not enthusiasts) will only see one thing - It's old, but not old enough to be cool. If you really care, I would try to sell that 4.0 ASAP and try to get back as much money as you can, and wait for the s550 or at least a 2011+ GT. (and make sure it's premium edition!) You can make almost any motor last 300K+ if you take care of it, but the 4.0s were always dogs.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:15 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Blower, gears, lots of suspension work to be done, and brakes as well. There's a good chunk of mods you can add on to make your Mustang perform better
Old 04-01-2014, 01:18 PM
2k232
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Wesgel
It's old, but not old enough to be cool. If you really care, I would try to sell that 4.0 ASAP and try to get back as much money as you can, and wait for the s550 or at least a 2011+ GT. (and make sure it's premium edition!) You can make almost any motor last 300K+ if you take care of it, but the 4.0s were always dogs.

the 2011+ v6 cars have the 3.7 (305HP out the box).... And I dont buy a car to impress other people. My little 12 v6 is quick enough for me and gets good gas milage and stares. I dont personally care what other people think. When you hear someone ask the v8 question 99% of the time they dont know what the hell there talking about or even about the Ti-VCT motors in the 11+.

EDIT:
OP id go with the brake kit on am.com seems really good (slotted brakes all the way around for 300bucks!!)

suspension work and gears would be my next purchases also. Just my .02 would love to see some pictures also!!
Old 04-01-2014, 01:38 PM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Wesgel
I couldn't get another v6, first thing people ask you when they hear you got a mustang, "you got the v8 or the v6?" as soon as you say v6 you can see the look in their eyes when they say "oh...", and then you gotta go on a 3 paragraph speech about how your v6 is much better than the regular stock car and all the mods you have done to it...(civic owners have to do this frequently) Not to mention all the jokes about missing 2 cylinders or "should of had a v8" references you will always hear.

I feel like s197 with close to 100k miles or more is the new sn95, people see a 'stang' for cheap and snag it - but they don't have no passion or dedication. Which is why I'm getting a s550 asap. Nothing against sn95s, I love the car but its too old now, and even if it can run 9s, most people (who are not enthusiasts) will only see one thing - It's old, but not old enough to be cool. If you really care, I would try to sell that 4.0 ASAP and try to get back as much money as you can, and wait for the s550 or at least a 2011+ GT. (and make sure it's premium edition!) You can make almost any motor last 300K+ if you take care of it, but the 4.0s were always dogs.
Lol. Zentin? RazorGT? Whatever you call yourself?

As a 4.0 owner, I certainly don't care what others think. I love my car just as much as the next mustang enthusiast. If you're buying cars/mods/anything to please others you need to take a hard look on your life. I mod mine to make me happy, and that's it.

My little 4.0 is the farthest thing from the fastest car on the road, but it's still the quickest thing i've ever driven, and that's good enough for me. Nobody has ever said to me "Oh, it's only a sixxer." And if they do, I just ignore it. Doesn't bother me one bit. I love my car.

OP: Listen to these guys and get the suspension first. Lower it, throw some LCA's on there and get some good rotors/brakes. No sense in trying to go faster if your car jumps all over the place and/or you can't stop good.

After that, I would say that the one piece driveshaft is completely necessary if you're trying to go faster.

Quick Reply: How much more can I do to this car?