Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 10:28 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Default Tires?

How many times have you guys bought new tires for your Mustang? The ones on my are original.They still have good treads but you can clearly see some cracks in the side wall from dry rot. I guess I need to start pricing tires cause in December I have to have it inspected. They told me last year that I would need new tires. What are you guys using? Are you staying with the Pirelli brand or did you get something else?

took this about two weeks before Florence;

Old 09-27-2018, 11:25 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

it depends on your driving habits, I just go with fairly inexpensive ones
Old 09-27-2018, 03:13 PM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

No cracks yet on my original Pirellis , 915 miles, but she stays garaged and the temperature is between 55 and 80 degrees.

The one thing I have done over the last 11 years with these tires is only use Meguiar's D16101 Silicone-Free Dressing
Old 09-27-2018, 05:51 PM
dusman59
1st Gear Member

Some people have overlooked tires for inside tire sidewall cracking. Caring for the outside and not the inside can cause this. Tires that sit more than being used can cause sidewall cracking as well as improper inflation. Most tire manufactures recommend tires not be used past 6 or 7 years. Many tire shops won't even re-balance a tire with that age due to insurance purposes. With the high heat here in AZ I never go with cheap tires. I am using Nitto 555 g2's which I would consider competitively mid priced.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:54 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Buckshot Barry
No cracks yet on my original Pirellis , 915 miles, but she stays garaged and the temperature is between 55 and 80 degrees.

The one thing I have done over the last 11 years with these tires is only use Meguiar's D16101 Silicone-Free Dressing
From 2006 - 2016, I had to keep it outside, however it was covered with a car cover. Since I sold my business, it sits in my garage. It is ashamed to have to buy more tires especially I never drive it that far and with low mileage. Oh well, got to start pricing.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:55 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JJHoover
it depends on your driving habits, I just go with fairly inexpensive ones
I really like that hood! Any issues with the fiberglass?
Old 09-28-2018, 10:23 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I have been doing some online pricing and seems that Discount Tires have good prices. What do you guys think about the Falken Azenis FK450 A/S tires? I bought Falken for my daughter's Focus and they seemed to ride really well. Also Yokohama Avid Envigor? I also saw the OHTSU FP0612 A/S tire. Needs some input.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:04 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I'm on my 4th set of summer tires...Kinda.

Fourth on the rear, fifth on the front.

1st Set OE Pirelli AS all around
2nd Set BFG Summer all around
3rd set Dunlop Summer all around
4th set Nitto Summer staggared
5th up front Nitto Summer. Rear still the same from the 4th set.

The Nittos have lasted me the longest and seem to have the best grip out of all the tires I've tried. Mind you, I only have 90K on my car and most didn't last more than 15-20K. Nittos are doing awesome 20K+ miles and the only reason I had to replace the fronts was due to excess negative camber wear (inner side). I've put Caster/camber plates and reduced the camber so the fronts should last much longer now.
Old 09-29-2018, 08:31 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
I really like that hood! Any issues with the fiberglass?
Thanks, no issues at all I just wouldn't use hood struts with it.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:08 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Sidewall cracking should be reason enough to get new tires even without the chance of failing inspection if you don't. How many miles on your car?

FWIW, these days I'm splitting the miles on my '08 up between set #3 and set #4 with about 50,000 miles on the car. Set #3 sees some road course track time (as did set #2 until I wore them out). Set #4 has only seen street miles so far. I quit using the OE tires (set #1) before they were half worn - they were really that bad in the wet. 9 out of the last 10 sets of replacement tires I've bought for any of our cars (this being over the last 15 or 20 years) have come from the top 2 or 3 in Tire Rack's 'Max Performance Summer' or 'UHP all-Season' category. Bridgestones, Goodyears, and Michelins.

Norm

Quick Reply: Tires?