Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

I Plasti-Dipped my base V6 wheels today

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 12:24 AM
Dencon
1st Gear Member

Default I Plasti-Dipped my base V6 wheels today

I have been wanting to get blacked out wheels on this car ever since I got it (It will be a year in a week from today BTW) I am wanting to get a wheel and tire set from American Muscle but for now. This will have to do. I was not sure if it was going to give me the look I am was after. But after I got the wheels back on. It helps it quite a bit. Makes the car have a little bit of an upgraded look until I have the funds to get the set I want.
This plasti-dip stuff is great. I watched a few You Tube vid on how to and went for it. I took the wheels off and cleaned them real good. Then I just painted them without doing any masking. The first few coats were just a mist. Then I did a steady spraying just like in the vids I watch. It recommends 3 to 4 coats. I went 5. I do allot of highway driving. So I wanted the durability. Warning. It looks awful when you spray it. Very orange pealie. But as it sets up it levels out very nice. Then when I was done I just pealed it off the tires. No need to mask. Then if I want to go back to the original look of the wheels. I just peal it off. I also use an Xacto knife and when around the Ford Oval on the center and pealed that off so that would show through. Then I waited till it was all cured in the 4 hours that the can said. Then took it through the car wash. All good. It went through without a scratch. I am pretty happy with the results
What do you all think?
Name:  0511141405_zps5fb59e0c.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  53.8 KB
Name:  0511141406_zpsf65e8a07.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  102.2 KB
I took it over to my buddy who is a custom painter that has had his work on the cover a few big magazine take a look. he was impressed.
Now, I am starting to notice that I am getting oxidation on the center of my hood. So I am going to have my painter bud mask off my hood like the 69 Boss (He is real good with masking off striping like that) and I am going to put this stuff over that oxidation and give me that look like the old Bosses. Maybe later I can peel it off and do something about the hood. DAMN PHOENIX SUN!!!!
Old 05-12-2014, 07:34 AM
commishbob

I like it. I'm a big fan of black wheels on almost any color car.

No need for priming or some sort of base coat?
Old 05-12-2014, 07:38 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dencon
Now, I am starting to notice that I am getting oxidation on the center of my hood. So I am going to have my painter bud mask off my hood like the 69 Boss (He is real good with masking off striping like that) and I am going to put this stuff over that oxidation and give me that look like the old Bosses. Maybe later I can peel it off and do something about the hood. DAMN PHOENIX SUN!!!!
its not the sun there was a factory recall if I remember correctly concerning the hood oxidizing. I just dipped the wheels of my other car yesterday and they came out great (no a mustang so I won't post pics here) Your wheels came out good (I just don't like the factory wheel) have you watched anything from "I am the puzzle man" on you tube? he has dipped a couple cars and tries to do it as inexpensive as possible he is also a mustang owner
Old 05-12-2014, 08:30 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Looks good! I like the new look. What Wheels from us do you have planned for the car? I think you're headed in the right direction!

Keep up the good work!

-Dan
Old 05-12-2014, 09:52 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Nice cheap change!
Old 05-12-2014, 09:00 PM
Dencon
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys,
no there was no need to prep or prime. The Plasti dip adheres real well to most surfaces. plus you want to be able to peal it off when you want to.
Dan, I was wanting the all black 17" Bullets with Sumoto tires. But not for sure yet. First thing I need to get from you guys is a set of front struts. Mine are bad and making a ton of noise. I was hoping to be able to get a set of lowering springs when I get the struts, but that might have to be later.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:02 PM
Dencon
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JJHoover
its not the sun there was a factory recall if I remember correctly concerning the hood oxidizing. I just dipped the wheels of my other car yesterday and they came out great (no a mustang so I won't post pics here) Your wheels came out good (I just don't like the factory wheel) have you watched anything from "I am the puzzle man" on you tube? he has dipped a couple cars and tries to do it as inexpensive as possible he is also a mustang owner
That sucks, when I got the car last year it did not have any signs of oxidation. Just started showing up over the past month. Unfortunately, I cannot keep it under shade at work or have room in my garage. I have my Chevelle in there. Sorry about letting that out on this board. LOL!
Old 05-12-2014, 09:42 PM
shouldhavegottheGT
2nd Gear Member

I'm in AZ too. There are guys selling their 17 & 18 bullitts all the time on craigslist. You can pick them up for super cheap if budget is holding you back. I'm also selling some Pony Package wheels that I dipped in anthracite gray ( kind of looks like the charcoal AMR wheels 18").

Definitely do the springs the same time you do the struts. No sense in having to make everything apart all over again.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:15 PM
Dencon
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by shouldhavegottheGT
I'm in AZ too. There are guys selling their 17 & 18 bullitts all the time on craigslist. You can pick them up for super cheap if budget is holding you back. I'm also selling some Pony Package wheels that I dipped in anthracite gray ( kind of looks like the charcoal AMR wheels 18").
I had looked into that and I see them all the time on CL. But by the time I get the tires. The AM wheel tire set is the best deal. Plus I can put it on my Credit card. not that if the timing was right and I saw a set with good tires on CL. I would grab them. Again with the struts. It is about wants and needs. I WANT the springs but I NEED the struts. BAD. It is about what I can budget at this time. As for redoing the springs later on, on my struts. no big deal. I use to be a front end tech for year and I even have a Hunter H111 alignment machine in my garage. I can do a computer wheel alignment every week on my car if I wanted to. That's a nice tool to have in the garage.
Where in AZ are you?
Old 05-12-2014, 11:40 PM
shouldhavegottheGT
2nd Gear Member

If you've got the tools and resources I suppose it doesn't really matter as long as you've got an hour to spare. Spring and struts aren't too terribly difficult to change.

I'm in Arcadia off 44th and Indian school.

Quick Reply: I Plasti-Dipped my base V6 wheels today