Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Trying to build the meanest V6 S197 on the streets.. help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 07:01 PM
ProjectLacey

Default Trying to build the meanest V6 S197 on the streets.. help!

What's up guys and girls, as you may notice I'm new to mustang forums! I'm 16 and driving a 2009 V6 mustang coupe, and I'm trying to turn her into the meanest V6 around. Here's a few pictures of what I've already got going on to give you a feel of the look:

Original (how it was bought, completely stock)

What I've thrown on:

- Sequential LED smoked tail lights, Halo headlights, removed side stickers, plasti-dipped stock wheels (on a 16 year-old's budget, unfortunately..) & also have a Cherrybomber extreme muffler thrown on.
I already know I will need to either buy a new front bumper entirely or a chin spoiler, as the previous owner did a pretty good job of cracking the bottom of the bumper by running over parking curbs.

I'm basically just looking for a mean, tough, blacked out look & sound. With my job going full-time over summer, I'm expecting to have around $9-10k to throw down on parts, with a good amount of cash in savings. Installation won't be very much, as my dad is the president of an automotive college and if we can't do it at home it can be done at his school for a pretty fantastic deal if not free.

So again, a tough blacked out look with as aggressive sound as possible. I'm not sure how much I'm needing power as this is my daily driver and not something I'm running at the track, so superchargers and such aren't something I'm specifically looking for or needing.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, and sorry if there's a better forum for this to be posted under.

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2014, 07:05 PM
ProjectLacey

P.S. - the car is named Lacey, after Lacey Holsworth... I'm Josh.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:13 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Since you're looking at a good bit of money to spend on it, I'd do wheels. The stock wheels look good plasti-dipped, for what they are, but you could find a better set on Craigslist of the forums that would really compliment the car. When you go to replace the front bumper, maybe do a California Special front bumper or GT. They look a lot more aggressive than the V6 bumper, that looks like a happy seal. For sound and looks you could do dual exhaust with a California Special rear bumper. Then if you cared to do it, you could lower it an inch or so to get rid of the tire gap in the rear.

Right now your car looks great, though. What I listed above is just kind of the basics for the V6s to make them look more aggressive. Good luck.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:34 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Back it up with power...such as a turbo setup!
Old 06-04-2014, 06:39 AM
ProjectLacey

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
Back it up with power...such as a turbo setup!
Aren't superchargers better for daily drivers? I'm not 100% on the difference but I've heard that turbos are less preferable for some.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:46 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ProjectLacey
Aren't superchargers better for daily drivers? I'm not 100% on the difference but I've heard that turbos are less preferable for some.
All opinion/preference. In theory, a turbo would get better mileage.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:11 AM
ProjectLacey

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
All opinion/preference. In theory, a turbo would get better mileage.
Haven't looked up turbos much, any recommendations for a v6?
Old 06-04-2014, 08:17 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

As far as turbo? Powerhouse makes a good kit a lot of people run. Supercharger? It's also preference and budget. I ran a Vortech on 4.0 and loved it, other people prefer the X-charger which is a bit more expensive as well.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:19 PM
ProjectLacey

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
As far as turbo? Powerhouse makes a good kit a lot of people run. Supercharger? It's also preference and budget. I ran a Vortech on 4.0 and loved it, other people prefer the X-charger which is a bit more expensive as well.
Do turbos usually offer greater HP and torque gains? Most of the v8 turbos compared to supers I see give much larger HP gains, but is that just a general fact or am I just seeing it coincidentally? And is it the same for v6 engines?
Old 06-04-2014, 09:59 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

9g's is deep. If you're going for appearance mods, I recommend some side window louvers as well as a GT style front grille w/ foglights. A dual conversion exhaust kit with an H-pipe (NOT an X-pipe!!) the h pipe sounds a lot deeper and muscular. Considering its a v6, you don't want a raspy sound(which is what the x-pipes provide). Youll sound like a ricer. If you're getting a chin spoiler, I would also recommend a rear valence with the exhaust cutouts (dual conversion) to match the lower rocker panel and chin. With those few mods, she would look real pretty. Not to mention only cost about 2gs. Also, tint those nasty orange and red marker lights!

Quick Reply: Trying to build the meanest V6 S197 on the streets.. help!