Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Growling noise from the front

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 01:01 PM
fl_mustang

Default Growling noise from the front

Hi guys,

I have a beautiful 09 V6 which I brought as Used from a local dealer about an year ago, I absolutely love it. There has been an issue since the beginning with the noise from the front end, I could never be sure.

Here is the description of the noise: It doesn't start initially, I should be driving the car for about a half hour for the noise to start and it becomes louder as I accelerate. When I change to neutral and release the clutch the noise gets worse and dropping the speed below 30 will shut it off. I tried 3 shops and they couldn't reproduce the issue. But it happens to me every time.

Has anyone been through this kind o issue? What could this problem be about?

Stats: 2009, V6 3.7L, 40K miles, serviced regularly.

Thanks in advance
Yash.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:12 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Can you better describe "growling"? At a rough guess, I'm thinking wheel bearings or a dragging brake pad. I'm not sure what under the hood would cause the sound based on what you describe based on speed and clutch operation. When it's "growling" and you're in a turn, left and right, what happens?
Old 06-24-2014, 07:32 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

My GT growls at the ricers we encounter but I have not heard of the V6s growling too. That's just your car telling you that it is awesome.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:25 AM
fl_mustang

Originally Posted by Nuke
Can you better describe "growling"? At a rough guess, I'm thinking wheel bearings or a dragging brake pad. I'm not sure what under the hood would cause the sound based on what you describe based on speed and clutch operation. When it's "growling" and you're in a turn, left and right, what happens?
Thanks for the reply, it is a low growling noise. There is still the same noise in the turns. Yesterday, I took my car for a ride and after a half hour the issue was back. I then stopped and asked a friend of mime to accelerate while on neutral and I was checking the origin of the noise. After a 10 minutes it was back but was from under the hood.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:27 AM
fl_mustang

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
My GT growls at the ricers we encounter but I have not heard of the V6s growling too. That's just your car telling you that it is awesome.
It sure is, but the noise is not telling that it is awesome .. it is asking me to fix it
Old 06-25-2014, 09:50 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by fl_mustang
Hi guys,

I have a beautiful 09 V6 which I brought as Used from a local dealer about an year ago, I absolutely love it. There has been an issue since the beginning with the noise from the front end, I could never be sure.

Here is the description of the noise: It doesn't start initially, I should be driving the car for about a half hour for the noise to start and it becomes louder as I accelerate. When I change to neutral and release the clutch the noise gets worse and dropping the speed below 30 will shut it off. I tried 3 shops and they couldn't reproduce the issue. But it happens to me every time.

Has anyone been through this kind o issue? What could this problem be about?

Stats: 2009, V6 3.7L, 40K miles, serviced regularly.

Thanks in advance
Hello fl_mustang,

I recommend you speak to your service manager at your Ford Dealer. He is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed. Also, remember repairs done at a Ford Dealer come with a 24 months/unlimited miles warranty.

You can schedule an appointment online here.

Deysha
Old 06-25-2014, 09:59 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Interesting....this is the first I've heard of this.
Are you able to record the growling sound and then post the video?
My Wife's old Grandam would make a growling sound when making a tight right turn. It ended up being a bad wheel bearing.

I hear chattering noises near my shifter or behind my A/C *****.

Last edited by kevinmalec; 06-25-2014 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:49 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Yeah, I'd think wheel bearing or brake rotors if it's more of a grinding noise. Just a heads up for when you take it in for service, your engine is a 4.0, not a 3.7. 3.7s were in '11+ model sixxers.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:28 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If you're hearing it with the vehicle stationary, then rule out brakes and wheel bearings. It could be water pump, alternator or a pulley problem if occuring when stationary.