Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > V6 S197 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 06-28-2014, 11:01 PM   #1
mattkoenig52@gmail.com

Vehicle: 2009 Ford Mustang V6
Default S197 V6 true dual conversion

Looking to convert my 09 sixer to true dual. Prefer the x-pipe. what are your thoughts on the Ford kit? or other suggestions?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
mattkoenig52@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:48 PM   #2
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

There are a few members on here who purchased the Ford kit and said they were happy with it.
When I got mine Ford hadn't offered it as kit yet. I had to go through Pypes and purchased their kit. I already had two GT mufflers.
If Ford had offered it then, I would have bought theirs.

Blue Mustang Registry #363
07 Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:30 PM   #3
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013 V6 MCA Performance Package, Comfort Package, Securtity Package and Electronics Package

I bought the Pypes X-Pipe and the left over the axle pipe and put GT mufflers on my 10
GMR Member 257

Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:02 AM   #4
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Turbo V6; 2005 V6->V8 swap beast

Lots of threads on this subject...many of us have done it.
The X-pipe on a v6 can sound like crap (like buzzing bees), so be careful! An h-pipe or true divorced duals usually sound better.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:02 AM   #5
mcrider
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 ford mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_zstang View Post
The X-pipe on a v6 can sound like crap (like buzzing bees), so be careful! An h-pipe or true divorced duals usually sound better.
This!
mcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:44 PM   #6
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Ford Mustang V6

I have the Pypes mid muffler set up

http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-...ck-0510v6.html

Vortec V3 Supercharger, Pypes shorty headers, Pypes mid pipe dual exhaust, GT 500 18" rims, 255/45/18 Pirelli's
JJHoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:33 AM   #7
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2014 Mustang V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_zstang View Post
Agreed. I hate the sound of the xpipe conversion kits on the 4.0s. I think it sounds a little too raspy for a v6. If you're leaning towards good sound, I would recommend an h-pipe with GT mufflers or aftermarket mufflers. Though, I think the GTs are just the right amount of deep muscle car sound with decent performance when paired with an H. Some will argue to go with aftermarket mufflers rather than GT because of performance gains, but this is complete preference. You can always buy an x-pipe conversion kit and then buy american muscles cut and clamp h http://www.americanmuscle.com/mac-cu...er-0509v6.html But again, this is owners preference. Just my two cents

heres an xpipe conversion with gt mufflers- www.youtube.com/embed/5DGDdIET6lY

and heres h-pipe w gt mufflers - www.youtube.com/embed/dJ8L0VLEu0Q

Do some searches on youtube for clips to find the sound you're looking for or browse the forums. After searching what seemed like forever, I finally found a good sounding exhaust for my 3.7. All the exhaust clips I've listened too were way too raspy and sounded like a ricer. I thought I was going to have to live with the stocks. But Borla makes a Touring muffler that sounds beautiful. Thanks Siber!

This is my 6th mustang. I'm addicted.
2014 V6 3.7 6-speed manual
FP6 Package
AirAid CAI, Bama Tune, F&R Strut Tower Brace, Barton Short Shifter/Bracket
Stainless Steel Clutch Line, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, BBK Shorty Headers, Borla S-Types
The list never ends...

Last edited by yourmom6990; 07-01-2014 at 12:48 AM.
yourmom6990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:42 PM   #8
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Those videos were not fair as far as comparison.
I have Pypes X-pipe set up with two GT muffles and will say when I start my car it sounds like the second video with the h pipe.
ANYTHING sounds better than the wimpy stock single muffler.

Blue Mustang Registry #363
07 Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:28 AM   #9
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2014 Mustang V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 Stang View Post
Those videos were not fair as far as comparison.
I have Pypes X-pipe set up with two GT muffles and will say when I start my car it sounds like the second video with the h pipe.
ANYTHING sounds better than the wimpy stock single muffler.
Maybe at lower rpms, of course because there is minimal exhaust flow. But at higher rpms the xpipe sounds like a rattling can.

You're right, the single stock muffler is boring. I changed my single muffler out for a GT muffler and I was very satisfied with the sound. Best $30 I ever spent on exhaust.

This is my 6th mustang. I'm addicted.
2014 V6 3.7 6-speed manual
FP6 Package
AirAid CAI, Bama Tune, F&R Strut Tower Brace, Barton Short Shifter/Bracket
Stainless Steel Clutch Line, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, BBK Shorty Headers, Borla S-Types
The list never ends...
yourmom6990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:39 PM   #10
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013 V6 MCA Performance Package, Comfort Package, Securtity Package and Electronics Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourmom6990 View Post
Maybe at lower rpms, of course because there is minimal exhaust flow. But at higher rpms the xpipe sounds like a rattling can.

You're right, the single stock muffler is boring. I changed my single muffler out for a GT muffler and I was very satisfied with the sound. Best $30 I ever spent on exhaust.
X Pipe and GT mufflers on my 2010, sounded good to me, but if you went super loud it did sound like Dog Crap IMO, but the 3.7 does also if super loud.
GMR Member 257

Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:39 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement