Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

My "new" (to me) 09 V6 needs a lot of body work. Advice?

Old 07-21-2014, 02:24 AM
Redwolf1017

Default My "new" (to me) 09 V6 needs a lot of body work. Advice?

I picked up a 2009 Mustang V6. It needs quite a bit of body work and I'm looking for some advice on the best way to do this. Basically, it's going to need both fenders, a hood, driver headlight, and the front bumper all at some point.

The driver fender and headlight are the absolute necessary pieces that need be fixed right away. Then the bumper, followed by the hood, and lastly the passenger fender will need to be replaced or repaired at some point.

I've never had to have any body work done, so I have no clue if I'll be getting ripped off when I get a quote.

What would be an average amount to have all this fixed and painted? Assuming all pieces will need replaced. I think the only part that might be fixable is the passenger fender. I'm hoping to keep it at about 2k total if at all possible.

If I just have them replace the pieces, without them being painted right now, would that be significantly less? I picked this car up from a friend who needed some money. It won't really bother me if the paint doesn't match right now, as my main goal is to have it as a daily driver and then slowly save up to have anything else needed done. If I can keep it at about 2k I can just get everything done now.

The reason I'm asking all this is because I'm in my second year of college and I'm trying to get this car fixed to be able to get me to and from school/work. My current DD is an 01 accent that's about to fall apart.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions in advance.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:13 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

assuming no structure (e.g. front subframe or strut towers) is bent, things like front fenders, hood, core support are bolt-ons. If you don't care about paint matching, you could probably do that yourself. plan on painting alone to be about $1k because any shop who cares about doing it right will try to "blend" the newly painted parts with the existing color.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:08 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Pictures would help in order to evaluate the extent of the damage
Old 08-05-2014, 08:26 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

if all of that damage (based on your description) came from one event, then I will bet that you will need some other straightening (radiator support, bumper supports, etc.). Maybe pics will help with some ballparking, but you are going to need to cvisit some sops and get some estimate.

I can assure you it will be cheaper to have all the parts replaced all at once rather than piecemeal. You should find some mechanically inclined friends, some used parts, and do it yourself if the unseen damage is not too bad.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:37 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

The price will depend on where you get the parts (new/used) and if they all need painted.
Have you thought about upgrading the front bumper to a used GT bumper?
You may be able to locate used Mustang parts on your local Craigslist ad. You may luck out with a seller that upgraded his GT front bumper and wants to sell his GT bumper cheap.
Also, check out newtakeoff.com website. They sell OEM Mustang parts at a reasonable price.
Also, a local junk yard may have some parts as well.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:55 PM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
assuming no structure (e.g. front subframe or strut towers) is bent, things like front fenders, hood, core support are bolt-ons. If you don't care about paint matching, you could probably do that yourself. plan on painting alone to be about $1k because any shop who cares about doing it right will try to "blend" the newly painted parts with the existing color.
if you are going to paint half the car just spend a little extra money and get the whole car repainted.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:04 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

not meaning to state the obvious, but for future reference, these types of questions regarding costs, complexity, and estimates, are things that should be asked before you buy a wrecked car, not after.......

Search this Thread