Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Possible and first time Mustang owner

Old 07-23-2014, 06:08 PM
Smoove7

Default Possible and first time Mustang owner

Hello all,

I have not officially purchased a Mustang however I am considering it. I currently have an 05 Altima SE-R, but it has some tranny thing going on. Even though I would be heartbroken to let it go, I might have to.

My question is, I am looking at a '14 base mustang V6 for 19,300 with 15k miles. It is as base as it gets though, no sync or leather or anything. I could get that and add what I want to make it how I want with items such as 18" wheels, complete suspension setup, spoiler, high flow grills, strut tower brace, panhard bar, and lower fog lights for and extra 4,700 bucks not including labor.

Or I could get a Roush RS V6 package which has some items I would not necessarily buy on my own and I would still have to add the suspension setup.

OTD with the base v6 and upgrades would be about 24,700 or I found an RS 2013 brand new for 26k before tax tag title. What are your thoughts since you guys and ladies have tons of experience with Mustangs?

BTW it would be my DD, I might get it up to 350HP at some point and I really enjoy handling and acceleration as opposed to top end speed.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:01 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

$4,700? That's a bit high for the mods you've listed.

If you have the money, I would get the RS. That is completely up to you though. If you're willing to spend 24K on the base after upgrades.. why wouldn't you just get a premium v6 w the track package?
Old 07-23-2014, 11:07 PM
Smoove7

I believe that the track pack is only for the GT correct? I think the V6 comes with the performance pack which I would need to buy my own lowering springs because the performance pack comes with "strut tower brace, and with new front and rear anti-roll bars, unique brake calipers, 19-inch wheels with summer rubber, and a more aggressive 3.31 final drive ratio."

I found a 2014 with the performance pack for about 24,800. So I would be paying about 370 a month which in reality isnt bad for what all you get. Man that interior looked nice with the screen and leather though.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:27 AM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Yes, you are correct. My mistake, it is the performance pack. That's a good price for everything you get. I love my v6. 30mpg on the highway and power/performance when I want it.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:02 AM
Smoove7

^^^Wow I noticed that this is your 6th mustang. I know this might sound crazy but, I am not into speed as much as I am into looks, acceleration and overall handling performance. I'll punch it every once in a while , but the acceleration is if I need to get past a slower can on the highway. In your opinion would Mustang be the kind of vehicle that would suit what I am looking for?

Not to ruffle Mustang feathers, but I am also looking at the Genesis coupe 3.8 track edition because of the fast reaction time of the steering. But mustang just has this bad *** look about it that I cant get past. I am about 90% sure if I get a car, it will be a stang. I have not had a chance to drive a stang with any suspension upgrades, is it a big difference from stock?
Old 07-24-2014, 01:54 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Smoove7
I believe that the track pack is only for the GT correct? I think the V6 comes with the performance pack which I would need to buy my own lowering springs because the performance pack comes with "strut tower brace, and with new front and rear anti-roll bars, unique brake calipers, 19-inch wheels with summer rubber, and a more aggressive 3.31 final drive ratio."

I found a 2014 with the performance pack for about 24,800. So I would be paying about 370 a month which in reality isnt bad for what all you get. Man that interior looked nice with the screen and leather though.
You can get that car for 19-20 grand. Ford is offering huge insentives right now and the dealers are going to want to make room for the 2015 models that will be out very soon! Don't be afraid to lowball the dealers.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:58 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

^^^Wow I noticed that this is your 6th mustang. I know this might sound crazy but, I am not into speed as much as I am into looks, acceleration and overall handling performance. I'll punch it every once in a while , but the acceleration is if I need to get past a slower can on the highway. In your opinion would Mustang be the kind of vehicle that would suit what I am looking for?

Not to ruffle Mustang feathers, but I am also looking at the Genesis coupe 3.8 track edition because of the fast reaction time of the steering. But mustang just has this bad *** look about it that I cant get past. I am about 90% sure if I get a car, it will be a stang. I have not had a chance to drive a stang with any suspension upgrades, is it a big difference from stock?
I know you weren't talking to me but I'll throw my $0.02 in anyways. Yes, absolutely the mustang is the kind of vehicle you are looking for if you want to pass cars on the highway. It sounds like you are set on the V6 which is a great car, but the 5.0 is a whole new level of acceleration. For the prices that you quoted, I think you could buy a 5.0 if you wanted.

With the right suspension mods, the S197 can be brought to a level of performance that can't be matched by a genesis. If you like the look of the mustang that much more, and are willing to do some mods then you will be very pleased with the result.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:11 AM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on a mustang, especially if you've never owned one. The looks are simply raw compared to a genesis or any other vehicle for the price point IMO. Out of all the mustangs I've had, this 14' 3.7L is my favorite (for a daily driver) and I've had some GTs, a 95 Cobra, and a couple others. The reason I like the 3.7 is not only because it looks awesome, but I can get over 30mpg on the road and then still have the power/performance when I need it. Just got back from a road trip yesterday and got over 425miles on one tank (that includes a bit of city driving and I still have a gallon or two left hah!). Don't get me wrong, the 5.0s and cobras are nice and all, but for a daily driver I think it's a little too much. Especially after figuring in insurance and gas prices. Not to mention driving that beast in the snow (I'm from Chicago so winter is a bit nippily). Others might disagree, but I think the best bang for your buck would be a 3.7. Of course, you'll get the guys who have only owned V8s in their lifetime arguing that the GTs are the only way to go.. To them, I ask, is your ego is ever full?

As for the Genesis vs. Mustang.. I choose Mustang every time because I enjoy the car as well as admire the history behind it all. Though, I believe Hyundai has some of the best warranties available, I think it's like 10 year/100K miles. There's a lot of pros and cons for either side so that's going to be the drivers preference.

Aftermarket suspension vs stock suspension is a night and day difference. Check out the S197 handling section of the forums for more insight.

Moral of the post...
When you can, buy American.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:45 PM
tucsondivots

I am picking up a 2014 V6 auto, with tech and sync packages on Monday!

$24,868 out the door (tax, title, license). $3K rebate for cash and Ford X Plan pricing.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:24 AM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

I too am on my 6th mustang. The Genesis is a fine vehicle, but it has no soul. You have to be a part of Mustang nation (or even just "Ponycar" nation) to understand......(if there is a Genesis nation, (other than Korea), then they might disagree).....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Possible and first time Mustang owner