Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Fog lights turn on when I hit the brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 12:58 PM
Mkk2525

Default Fog lights turn on when I hit the brake pedal

Hey guys, so I have this strange electrical issue as of yesterday.

I have an 07 Mustang V6 with the pony package. About 4-5 months ago I added the GT grill and fog lamps (with angel lights) as I thought it looked cooler than the smaller original fog lamps. I also installed a bi-xenon HID kit.

Anyway, my high beams stopped working about 2 months ago but since the low beams were good enough I never got around to fixing them. Yesterday I decided to give it a go. I checked all the relays and fuses for the high beams, they all worked. I checked all the wiring, it worked. I took the bulbs out and tested them, they worked too. After I exhausted all my options, I read online that sometimes you have to reverse the polarity of the kit to make the high beams work. I did that too, and it still didn't work. Anyway, I wasn't too bothered.

After all that, I decided to start my car and put it in the garage. When I pressed the break pedal, my fog lamps turned on! When I took my foot off the pedal, they turned off. So now my fog lamps turn on every time I press the breaks, even with the ignition off and the headlights off. The green light on the headlight switch also turns on when I hit the breaks. I've been frantically trying to find out what could cause it, and I've got nothing. I've looked at everything:

-I re-checked all the relays and fuses to make sure I didn't mess anything up; I didn't
-I re-checked the HID kit. I even disconnected the whole kit just to be safe, that didn't work too
-I checked the tail lights. Everything's in working order when I hit the breaks. I even disconnected them to see if the fog lamps would still turn on, they did
-I checked the wiring to the fog lamps, nothing's been touched and/or changed

So now I just disconnected the fog lamps, that's the only way they stop turning on when I hit the breaks. But now they don't work either. I've heard of headlights turning on when you hit the breaks, but never fog lights. And I have no idea what could be causing it. Does anyone have an ideas?
Old 07-13-2016, 01:05 PM
Mkk2525

Just realized I misspelled brakes, whoops.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:53 AM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

Check the brake light bulbs, if 1 is shorting out to the marker light side of the bulb it will do just what you described.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:31 AM
svastano
4th Gear Member

Check your grounds... A bad ground will cause all sorts of weird things.