Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2005 - 2007 Airbag Recall

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 08:33 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
I think ALL Takata air bags should be recalled at this point and let Takata pay for it all. I have a feeling this whole thing will continue to grow at a snails pace unless they do.

I read the expansion to non-humid areas being incorporated as a precaution but enough is enough. Step up, take responsibility for poor quality control and/or R&D and be done with it already. Otherwise I may start looking into not buying a car next time that has Takata branded air bags.

Let Ford and other OEM's think about that for a second.... I'll let my money do the talking. That means my next car may not be a new Mustang but whatever brand/model has a different brand of air bags.

I will never buy a GM because of their ignition switch recall or, more precisely, how it was handled. Ford, don't do this to your customers. You will lose at least one loyal customer. This one.
On the other end of things, I actually think Ford is handling this rather well. Come to think of it, I recently read about another Ford recall in which they voluntarily did it even though there was no serious issues reported yet. They did not want to go down the GM path...

If X bags need to be replaced but there's only 0.0001 X available, then not everyone can get theirs replaced initially. Even if millions of spare units were available there is no way Ford could replace them all at once. There's only so many bays available at so many dealerships.

The replacement must be controlled in a smart fashion. As always, with such things, you can't please everyone.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:28 AM
SonicGTC_05

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
SonicGT, my Pinto was a bad *** little car and believe it or not, many people offered to buy it. I had it painted Dark Metallic Blue with white pin stripes on the side decked out with chrome spoke rims. We bought it for $700 in 1975. I sold it in 1993 for $900. It was still in great shape and ran good!
Sorry, but wasn't trying to take anything away from your Pinto! I've know many bad-*** Pintos in my day! I am a huge Maverick & Torino fan also! Unfortunately, you only see a few of these at some select car shows anymore. Like the Mustang II, these vehicles served a purpose back in the mid-70's and were great cars to turn into hot-rods!
Old 12-20-2014, 09:39 AM
SonicGTC_05

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
On the other end of things, I actually think Ford is handling this rather well. Come to think of it, I recently read about another Ford recall in which they voluntarily did it even though there was no serious issues reported yet. They did not want to go down the GM path...

If X bags need to be replaced but there's only 0.0001 X available, then not everyone can get theirs replaced initially. Even if millions of spare units were available there is no way Ford could replace them all at once. There's only so many bays available at so many dealerships.

The replacement must be controlled in a smart fashion. As always, with such things, you can't please everyone.
I agree that Ford is doing a much better job than GM! Unfortunately, like you so stated, parts have to be acquired and replacement scheduled. And this being done while normal visits are being handled, so there will be a 'time' issue.

I'm just glad that these replacements are happening and not being swept under a rug, like GM did w/their switches. I do believe that Ford is trying to do what's best for their customers and we will continue to purchase their products in the future, as what was also stated in another response, because money DOES talk!
Old 12-20-2014, 10:16 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
I think ALL Takata air bags should be recalled at this point and let Takata pay for it all. I have a feeling this whole thing will continue to grow at a snails pace unless they do.
financial responsibility for a recall is dictated by the contract(s) the automaker has with the supplier. I think Takata is sunk one way or the other; their attitude since this has started has been one of arrogant indifference.

I read the expansion to non-humid areas being incorporated as a precaution but enough is enough. Step up, take responsibility for poor quality control and/or R&D and be done with it already. Otherwise I may start looking into not buying a car next time that has Takata branded air bags.
Good luck. There are like three suppliers of airbag inflators in the industry. Takata is the big one, then there's Autoliv (Sweden,) and TRW.

Let Ford and other OEM's think about that for a second.... I'll let my money do the talking. That means my next car may not be a new Mustang but whatever brand/model has a different brand of air bags.
AFAIK the current (2010- ) Mustangs don't have Takata front air bags.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:55 AM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
financial responsibility for a recall is dictated by the contract(s) the automaker has with the supplier. I think Takata is sunk one way or the other; their attitude since this has started has been one of arrogant indifference.
I'm not an expert on such matters, but I do believe Takata may be backed into a corner by Japanese business and cultural "standards" and pride.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:58 PM
05screaminyellow
1st Gear Member

even canadian cars are in it..... lol

VIN: 1ZVFT84N755235525

FIELD SERVICE ACTION NUMBER: 14B09

FSA TITLE: DRIVER AIRBAG INFLATOR REPLACEMENT
Old 12-24-2014, 10:14 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by ZGrand
Mine says the same. Does that mean for sure we are affected by the recall? The fine print says:

"It may require that you return your vehicle to the dealer for service. If your vehicle is not affected, it may be because it was built at a different time or using a different part than the affected vehicles."

How do we know for sure?
Originally Posted by Buckshot Barry
I have the same fine print too. Hopefully they will still have the parts when i start driving her in 2019. Ha ha, I bought my 60th birthday (retirement) present early in 2007.
If it shows up when searching with your VIN, it is affected, guys.

Deysha
Old 12-24-2014, 11:20 AM
ZGrand
2nd Gear Member

Thanks. Went by the dealer this morning -- they will order the parts and let me know when they come in.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:26 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Just checked again and see if my VIN is there......it is. I do have an appointment for state inspection and oil change. Got to see if they can take care of the recall too while it's there.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:34 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by ZGrand
Thanks. Went by the dealer this morning -- they will order the parts and let me know when they come in.
You’re welcome, ZGrand!

Deysha

Quick Reply: 2005 - 2007 Airbag Recall