Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Are shorty headers worth it on the 3.7L?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 10:28 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

Default Are shorty headers worth it on the 3.7L?

I'd love to get long tubes, but for daily driving they'd be way too loud. Im planning for the BBK shorty headers
http://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-sh...6-ceramic.html

... But there's no point if I don't recieve much gain. I'd Most likely order it with the catted x-pipe; I have a sct/bama tuner running on 91 with an airraid intake, and I don't want to order the combo if its not entirely worth it. I've seen mixed reviews. I wanna hear from the experts. Who has tried this combo with a CAI and tune? Was it significantly different after? Do you have more confidence with your 0-60 times? etc...

OR

I have 3.31 gears, would I benefit from 3.73's in comparison?

Thanks guys/gals.

Joe
Old 10-30-2014, 12:57 PM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

Hey JB-Good question and you're definitely right on the decibel level as it can honestly be ear piercing pending the axleback (In your case with the Roush it would probably wake the dead!) I have a few customers that had BBK's Shorty's and one said that paired with a throttle body it really:

"smoothed it out. Its from the headers down low but once you hit 3500 it keeps going there's no drop off and I believe that's the throttle body helping out "

If you didn't want to go that route I can personally attest the night and day difference that a set of Ford Racing 3.73's has as it will literally make the car 100% different! Let me know if you have any questions and if you don't have our discount code let me know and I'll get you set up!

Alex
Old 10-30-2014, 04:15 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Gears would really wake that car up compared to a TB/headers.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:20 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

TB / Headers / shorties / long tubes really would be a waste. Slight gains at WOT...so not worth it at all to me unless you are making a lot of other mods or have money to burn and if that's the case then you should just trade it in for a GT.

You would notice the rear end though.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:44 AM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

The shorty headers were the best performance mod I have done to my car. The low to mid range gains are very noticeable. For a daily driver it gives usable power.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:15 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Siber, I'd drop shorties in their in a heartbeat (or a weekend) if I was really convinced that they helped the low and/or the mid range. Did you do any other mods at the same time? Did you dyno before and after? It just seems like the would likely move the torque curve higher and not lower.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:37 AM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow
Siber, I'd drop shorties in their in a heartbeat (or a weekend) if I was really convinced that they helped the low and/or the mid range. Did you do any other mods at the same time? Did you dyno before and after? It just seems like the would likely move the torque curve higher and not lower.
Headers were the only thing.
No more jump in torque at 3000 rpm. Nice smooth power band from below 2000rpm.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:03 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

What brand did you go with?
Old 10-31-2014, 03:59 PM
BlindGUYnAR
2nd Gear Member

On the butt dyno you'll notice the gears way more than shorty headers. They will free more HP than shorties will gain.

Shorties really only produce gains at high RPM's so unless your doing top speed runs you won't notice them.

They might "smooth" out an idle or help it rev faster, but gears give the engine a mechanical advantage over the weight of the car. This occurs at all RPM levels, not just high.

Shorty headers aren't going to compete with gears period on the butt dyno.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:42 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Im surprised no one mentioned a tune! Im auto with only a tune and a CAI an the car runs 13.8@101 so tune is big. Real big if your an auto transmission car.

Quick Reply: Are shorty headers worth it on the 3.7L?