Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

My $1300, 2005 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 07:54 AM
steev
2nd Gear Member

Ah, I saw the red seats and thought 'oh wow, the drivers seat isn't nasty like mine is (the previous owner did nothing to care for them and you can tell from the cracking and now a little tear forming on the driver's seat)' but then saw the rest of the photos!

Also that drain plug... Yep. every 3 months I end up 'expressing' them with my finger. Bit gross really.

It's a shame about the head gasket. If only you can find a rear ended 4.6. It feels wrong investing so much time and money into our boat anchors of 4.0s...
Old 12-11-2014, 12:39 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by def67
Cheaper on AM: http://www.americanmuscle.com/coyote-crate-engine.html

OP, do it!
Old 12-12-2014, 04:50 AM
DSargent09
2nd Gear Member

Op will be going with another v6. Watch
Old 12-12-2014, 05:42 AM
williamlv282

Originally Posted by DSargent09
Nothing really wrong with that. There's a lot of work, time and money that is involved with making the switch from a V6 to a V8.

If he went with another V6 it would be
A: MUCH cheaper
B: About 1000% easier to install and get running.

EDIT: By the way OP, congratulations on the find. It was certainly worth what you paid, and I think the price was fair. I just found myself in the same situation as you except the V6 Mustang I received is a 2003 and it was free. Mine was also cleaner, but not much.

Last edited by williamlv282; 12-12-2014 at 06:02 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:03 AM
austinkli
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz
Bummer about the engine. I too think a better option would be a replacment motor. There's no telling what else was neglected on that car that could cost you money after you fix the head gasket.

Ignore the trolls (as it's very obvious you are already doing), this is a great thread and it's pretty impressive what you've accomplished with the car.
Thanks! Much appreciated.

Originally Posted by steev
Ah, I saw the red seats and thought 'oh wow, the drivers seat isn't nasty like mine is (the previous owner did nothing to care for them and you can tell from the cracking and now a little tear forming on the driver's seat)' but then saw the rest of the photos!

Also that drain plug... Yep. every 3 months I end up 'expressing' them with my finger. Bit gross really.

It's a shame about the head gasket. If only you can find a rear ended 4.6. It feels wrong investing so much time and money into our boat anchors of 4.0s...
My seats are actually kinda bad. They need to be redone eventually.

The 4.0 doesn't really bother me. My previous "fun car" was a 130hp civic, and my DD an 01 Saturn, so this car is already more power and torque than I'm used to. My wife has a manual 4.0 and hers is significantly faster than mine, and all it has is CAI/H/Dual Exhaust, and a tune.

Originally Posted by SPARTAN VI
Tempting if I had the spare cash laying around.

Originally Posted by DSargent09
If I do swap the motor, you are most likely correct. I had initially considered doing something much larger than the V6, but the truth is it's still an automatic. A lot of people have been encouraging me to sell it, make some money and be done with it, but I think the most likely scenario is to turn this into our trip car so we can keep low mileage on the wife's stang, and take this one to those places I'm afraid of getting doors dinged (like parking garages downtown). Drive it for a while (year or two) while I save up money. After I have enough money I can go ahead and buy what I really want, an 08-09 GT manual transmission. At that point I can either sell this stang off for whatever I can get for it, or just give it to a family member.

Originally Posted by williamlv282
Nothing really wrong with that. There's a lot of work, time and money that is involved with making the switch from a V6 to a V8.

If he went with another V6 it would be
A: MUCH cheaper
B: About 1000% easier to install and get running.

EDIT: By the way OP, congratulations on the find. It was certainly worth what you paid, and I think the price was fair. I just found myself in the same situation as you except the V6 Mustang I received is a 2003 and it was free. Mine was also cleaner, but not much.
Congrats on yours as well sir. Can't beat free! Would love to see some before and after pics of yours as well.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:49 PM
williamlv282

Originally Posted by austinkli
Congrats on yours as well sir. Can't beat free! Would love to see some before and after pics of yours as well.
Unfortunately I didn't take many pictures when it was full of crap haha. I just got right down to cleaning it.

Yours was much, much worse though, I can say that with certainty.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:33 PM
austinkli
1st Gear Member

Unfortunately I didn't take many pictures when it was full of crap haha. I just got right down to cleaning it.

Yours was much, much worse though, I can say that with certainty.
I found your thread, I don't know what it looked like initially, but it looks really good now man. It's my favorite Mustang color aside from grabber blue too.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:24 PM
SteveDwsn
1st Gear Member

Great job! There was a lot of work there, you should be proud. Fix the motor and use it as a daily driver. It already has a better story than most cars on this forum. Since it has the Pony option, when you get it done, get license plates that read, "1300PNY".
Old 12-13-2014, 05:13 AM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

There's a lot of work, time and money that is involved with making the switch from a V6 to a V8.

Wait....what?

Are you referring to a motor swap, or V6 Mustang to a GT?
Old 12-13-2014, 10:48 AM
austinkli
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d

Wait....what?

Are you referring to a motor swap, or V6 Mustang to a GT?
Think he is saying V6 to V8.

Quick Reply: My $1300, 2005 Mustang