Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

My $1300, 2005 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 11:46 AM
austinkli
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
Since they already have to pull the engine you have half the work done already. I still think you will be money ahead just having them put a used one in. Rebuilding the 4.0 isn't worth it when you price out the $1,000 for a used one compared to what it will cost for them to tear this one down, get the parts, and rebuild it.

Have you checked your area on car-part.com for an engine?
Originally Posted by pascal
OP, replace that mill...

JimC is right.
You're being charged for removing this one already so why being cheap at this point?
Also, the aftermarket aluminum thermostat housing is a nice and permanent upgrade for $140 or so.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-0l...is-thread.html

No matter how good of a used engine you'll find, the OEM plastic housing is simply junk therefore, you're looking at a short term need of replacement...

Unfortunately, if that's the case, the car will just need to go on a wrecker and sit in my parking spot not moving for a few months.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:24 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by austinkli
Unfortunately, if that's the case, the car will just need to go on a wrecker and sit in my parking spot not moving for a few months.
I realize that it's not what you wanted to hear but look a the situation face on... that engine is not to be trusted and the good part is that since you got the car for peanuts basically, you won't be upside down even with the extra expense of replacing that engine.
A piece of mind is a winner here.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:53 AM
austinkli
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal

I realize that it's not what you wanted to hear but look a the situation face on... that engine is not to be trusted and the good part is that since you got the car for peanuts basically, you won't be upside down even with the extra expense of replacing that engine.
A piece of mind is a winner here.
No you are 100% correct. Unfortunately, I simply don't have the money in my account to cover that and still pay bills. I mean I could replace this motor twice and still come out on top, but I just don't have that kind of cash right now. I really wish I did.

A friend has a 5.0 from a 92 mustang. My buddy that owns the shop said he can put that in mine, so I'm thinking about just doing what it takes to get by with my motor until I can do that. Not sure, it's a thought I'm toying with.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:10 PM
JimC

No you are 100% correct. Unfortunately, I simply don't have the money in my account to cover that and still pay bills. I mean I could replace this motor twice and still come out on top, but I just don't have that kind of cash right now. I really wish I did.

A friend has a 5.0 from a 92 mustang. My buddy that owns the shop said he can put that in mine, so I'm thinking about just doing what it takes to get by with my motor until I can do that. Not sure, it's a thought I'm toying with.
Okay, now I'm confused. You can't afford a simple engine swap with a low cost replacement.

How are you going to afford this more complex swap and all the custom work that will be needed? Unless your buddy is giving you the engine free, and your shop buddy is doing all the fabrication free, and you have someone tuning the "Frankenstang" set up ... how can you afford this? And don't forget to factor in a replacement transmission. The one you have won't be a direct fit so more custom fabrication, and the transmission probably will be going next based upon the obvious care provided in the past.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:17 PM
austinkli
1st Gear Member

Okay, now I'm confused. You can't afford a simple engine swap with a low cost replacement.

How are you going to afford this more complex swap and all the custom work that will be needed? Unless your buddy is giving you the engine free, and your shop buddy is doing all the fabrication free, and you have someone tuning the "Frankenstang" set up ... how can you afford this? And don't forget to factor in a replacement transmission. The one you have won't be a direct fit so more custom fabrication, and the transmission probably will be going next based upon the obvious care provided in the past.
The motor would be free. As for putting it in the car, I don't intend to do that anytime right away. I have no doubt that doing this would cost alot of money. But this would give me the chance to save for it is all.

And it is just a thought I'm toying with. Not saying I'll do it for certain. I'm just trying to see all the options because I truly do not have the money for a swap right now, and it's stressing me out a bit.

Oh btw, a big thank you for mentioning the thermostat housing. It was indeed cracked, which is probably what caused the blown head gasket.

Last edited by austinkli; 01-02-2015 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:26 PM
austinkli
1st Gear Member

Since they already have to pull the engine you have half the work done already. I still think you will be money ahead just having them put a used one in. Rebuilding the 4.0 isn't worth it when you price out the $1,000 for a used one compared to what it will cost for them to tear this one down, get the parts, and rebuild it.

Have you checked your area on car-part.com for an engine?
Any other suggestions on a good website to check?
Old 01-02-2015, 02:24 PM
Dense147

Default Sup austin

Sup austin
Old 01-02-2015, 03:17 PM
pharoah

if i had that cars engine out already.id be doing some shopping at super six motorsports.id get the stroker kit with forged internals.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:01 PM
JimC

The motor would be free. As for putting it in the car, I don't intend to do that anytime right away. I have no doubt that doing this would cost alot of money. But this would give me the chance to save for it is all.

And it is just a thought I'm toying with. Not saying I'll do it for certain. I'm just trying to see all the options because I truly do not have the money for a swap right now, and it's stressing me out a bit.

Oh btw, a big thank you for mentioning the thermostat housing. It was indeed cracked, which is probably what caused the blown head gasket.
Okay, so you are looking at that swap as "sometime, down the road, this might be fun" thing. That makes more sense than what I thought you were saying. Even then, that is going to be a difficult swap with a lot of work in my opinion.

Any other suggestions on a good website to check?
If you don't find any on car-part.com of course you can always check on ebay, or even craigslist. I put the state of Georgia into car-part.com and it brought up several 4.0's for sale. I don't know how close any of them are to you but there are some on the site.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:02 AM
austinkli
1st Gear Member

Okay, so you are looking at that swap as "sometime, down the road, this might be fun" thing. That makes more sense than what I thought you were saying. Even then, that is going to be a difficult swap with a lot of work in my opinion.

If you don't find any on car-part.com of course you can always check on ebay, or even craigslist. I put the state of Georgia into car-part.com and it brought up several 4.0's for sale. I don't know how close any of them are to you but there are some on the site.
Unfortunately, there are close ones, but they have WAY more miles than I am comfortable with. 176k and 234k. That's just why I was wondering.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: My $1300, 2005 Mustang