Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

My $1300, 2005 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 07:31 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Window tint... can be an evil thing. I actually procured a spray bottle of "window tint adhesive remover"... and boy was I pleasantly surprised when that stuff worked like a charm.

Not always the case when you procure stuff from Wal*Mart

Keep up the amazing work... and after reading about your schedule... I gotta say.... I'm tired!
Old 03-09-2015, 08:59 AM
austinkli
1st Gear Member

Got a little more work done over the weekend.

Picked up a steamer Saturday and the wife and I got to peeling tint Saturday evening.

You may remember what the tint originally looked like and why it had to go. It was actually unsafe, couldn't see a damn thing out the back.

Coming off fairly well.

Sunday after church I picked up some of this stuff and went over the my buddy's house.

Sprayed the rear windshield down with it, it was ok. Bout the same as goo gone.

While that was going to town I took the hood off and went to town removing the cowl cover. That leak that was around the ECU, it was time to fix.

Cowl covers pretty straight forward, get the clips out and it just pulls right off.

And here we can see why it was leaking, one of the grommets had rotted so much that it just fell out apparently.

And it was a little gross so I sprayed it down and went back to work on getting the tint and goo off.

Came back and cleaned it all up

This is what the grommets should look like compared to one of the ones I pulled from my car. No wonder they were leaking.

After I had that all done and the hood back on I finished up the goo on the rear windshield. At which point I realized I'm apparently missing the cover for the child restraint thing.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:58 PM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Damn this car has come a long way!
Old 03-09-2015, 07:41 PM
BKamp613
2nd Gear Member

Been a great read so far. Keep on keepin' on!
Old 03-12-2015, 11:17 AM
austinkli
1st Gear Member

Got some real work done yesterday.

At least this time it was cleaner when I got all the interior out.

So I took this stuff

And went to work.

After the final coat on the driver's side

Time to get the passenger side

Well that needed a few hours to drive so I figured in the mean time I'd try to work on my shifter.

So I took the whole thing apart

And found this in the bottom

Some all purpose and this to blow it out

Figured I'd start taking the rest of it apart, in hopes of fixing the gear indicator.

But then I got frustrated with it so I moved on to the upkeep stuff.

Still needed more time to dry so I got my bumper grill put in. Looks better. Not my favorite grill but at least it's a matching honeycomb as the top grill.

Well now it dried. Time to get the boom mat in.

Measured it out at about 20 inches across, though if you are doing this I suggest you measure yourself.

Driver's side done.

Passenger side done.

I did succeed in losing the screw that holds my shifter handle in, as well as breaking the shifter indicator. Unfortunately I stepped on it and it is now in two pieces, so I'm pretty sure I'm just going to replace the shifter all together in the not too distant future.

Now everytime I touch the shifter it wants to do this.

On a better note, I did also pick up some mats for free. They aren't the red ones I want, and I don't really like rubber mats, but for free I couldn't complain until I buy the red ones I want.

Last edited by austinkli; 03-12-2015 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:38 AM
Pr0cl1v1ty
2nd Gear Member

Awesome man!!! This is my favorite thread on this forum haha.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:54 AM
austinkli
1st Gear Member

Now let me take a moment to give my personal review for this dei boom mat spray.

This stuff is a no good waste of money. Not the tiniest bit of noise reduction. The ONLY place I noticed any difference was the trunk, and to be honest, it wasn't enough to matter.

As for the inside of the car, I assumed that by doubling up, doing two coats of DEI spray AND using the dei boom mat I would surely notice some difference. None whatsoever. My wife road in the car with me and asked if I had even done anything at all.

DO NOT waste your money on a dei product. I will never be buying any of this again. Might as well throw your money out the window.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:05 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Dynamat seem to work.
It has an aluminum coating on top.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:10 AM
Pr0cl1v1ty
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
Dynamat seem to work.
It has an aluminum coating on top.
This, I had it in my trunk, its this 1/4th inch of "ticky tack" with aluminum coating, though it's expensive.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dy...-fYaAh3D8P8HAQ
Old 03-13-2015, 12:31 PM
tradosaurus
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pr0cl1v1ty
This, I had it in my trunk, its this 1/4th inch of "ticky tack" with aluminum coating, though it's expensive.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dy...-fYaAh3D8P8HAQ
I tried Dynomat in a noisy 2008 Honda Accord and it did nothing! I'm starting to believe that all the noise reducing products are a complete waste of money.

Quick Reply: My $1300, 2005 Mustang