Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Which tires would you pick?

Old 12-13-2014, 03:01 PM
Bob T
1st Gear Member

Default Which tires would you pick?

I think I'm going to get my 2013 some new tires/wheels for Christmas.
I really like the look of these MMD Kage black with machined lip, and think they would look great on my silver Mustang.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/black-....html#shop-by2

I'm thinking of getting the staggered 18x9/10 wheel and tire kit and I see they have choices of 3 different kinds of tires: Sumitomo, Mickey Thompson, and Nitto in order of least to most expensive.

I guess my priorities are a tire that lasts a long time and has good dry weather traction and handling.
What are your thoughts, are the more expensive options worth the extra money?
Old 12-13-2014, 06:02 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Have you looked at different non-packaged tires? I really liked my BFGoodrich Sport Comp 2's is why I say something.
Between those tires usually more expensive means better tires... but I don't know enough about those specific tires to tell you which is better.
But I do like the wheels, those would look great on a silver mustang!
Old 12-13-2014, 07:39 PM
Bob T
1st Gear Member

Getting different non-packaged tires is an option. So far I haven't gone much further than deciding on the wheels, still considering all the tire options.
I like the idea of a kit though, keeps it simple with it being delivered to my door with the tires already mounted on the wheels, ready to be put on the car.
I don't have any personal experience with any of the 3 tire options offered though, so I was hoping to hear from someone that has, along with other tire recommendations like what you have made.

edit: I compared the height of my stock tires with the tires in this kit, my stock tires are 28" tall, the tires in this kit are 27" front/26.7" rear (for all three brands of tires). I don't really want to change the tire height, I sent an email to american muscle to ask if we could make a slight change in tire size to get back to the stock height, I'll see how they respond.

Last edited by Bob T; 12-14-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:32 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

I have the Nitto tires on my car, and I love them. A friend also bought Nitto tires from AM as a result of how much I love mine, and he too loves them. I have no experience on the other brands AM offers, but I know for a fact I will definitely be buying the Nittos again when I'm in need of tires.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:45 PM
Bob T
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bob T
I compared the height of my stock tires with the tires in this kit, my stock tires are 28" tall, the tires in this kit are 27" front/26.7" rear (for all three brands of tires). I don't really want to change the tire height, I sent an email to american muscle to ask if we could make a slight change in tire size to get back to the stock height, I'll see how they respond.
I just want to mention I got a reply back from American Muscle and they indicated I could select from other tire sizes they have available. That's good news since I want to maintain the stock tire height.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:41 PM
ZGrand
2nd Gear Member

I vote Nittos also.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:08 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Nittos aren't bad but there are a good amount of other great tires out there other than what you have listed which are substantially better for less cost if you ask me.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:07 PM
Bob T
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ModBargains
Nittos aren't bad but there are a good amount of other great tires out there other than what you have listed which are substantially better for less cost if you ask me.
ModBargains, you have my attention.
Please make a recommendation.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:25 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I have the Nitto 555s, they are great in dry and pretty good in wet weather. My only complaint, they are really noisey. They whine very loudly on all pavement types. I've never had tires that whine as loud!
Old 12-22-2014, 10:12 AM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bob T
ModBargains, you have my attention.
Please make a recommendation.
The one tire in specific I was thinking of is the Falken 453 tire. Similar grip, longer lasting than the invos and usually $200-$350 less than Invo's are in the same sizes from what I've quoted to customers and seen from my own research.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which tires would you pick?