Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Which tires would you pick?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 07:25 PM
Bob T
1st Gear Member

Thank you everyone for your responses.

ModBargains I have a follow up question for you (or anybody).
Do you also sell wheel/tire kits?

I'm open to suggestions if you offer a wheel/tire kit or would recommend a wheel/tire combination that you stock at a competitive price to the one I noted in my original post.
You've been helpful in suggesting an alternate tire, here is what I am looking for in a wheel: Preferably a 5 spoke design with black center and machined lip, a good combination of low cost and light weight (the MMD Kage are 20.5 lbs for 18x9 and 20.9 lbs for 18x10).

Thanks.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:47 AM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bob T
Thank you everyone for your responses.

ModBargains I have a follow up question for you (or anybody).
Do you also sell wheel/tire kits?

I'm open to suggestions if you offer a wheel/tire kit or would recommend a wheel/tire combination that you stock at a competitive price to the one I noted in my original post.
You've been helpful in suggesting an alternate tire, here is what I am looking for in a wheel: Preferably a 5 spoke design with black center and machined lip, a good combination of low cost and light weight (the MMD Kage are 20.5 lbs for 18x9 and 20.9 lbs for 18x10).

Thanks.
Yes we do have wheel/tire packages here. You say you want a low cost wheel that's light weight, and what I've been telling customers for years which is the truth in wheels, you have a selection of three options in which you can choose TWO which you have already decided on. You can choose a light wheel, a strong wheel, or an inexpensive wheel. Since you have the choice of two, and you want light, and cost effective, it will NOT be strong. If you want a strong, lightweight wheel, it wont be inexpensive. Or lastly if you want a strong and inexpensive wheel, it wont be lightweight.

This starts a predicament. I'm personally not one to recommend something that's going to crack or bend on you, that's not my style, I've been doing this for too long to recommend to my customers something that is frail and has the construction value of cheese. Though we're somewhat new to the Mustang forums, we're not new to modifying cars, and I personally have been doing this for nearly 10 years. I've sold cheap wheels, and I've sold some of those expensive ones too and the customers that I've sold inexpensive wheels to, often times require replacements, over and over again.

Personally as a sales rep, which I'm sure is funny to hear, I'd rather suggest you save up to buy something that will be substantially stronger and better suited for you. I'm not saying you need to spend ten grand on a set of wheels, I'm saying that I wouldn't just go for the cheapest route that's just lightweight, it's going to give you headaches.

If you want to send me a PM I can be a little bit more specific on what I'm on about if you like. I'm happy to help out
Old 12-23-2014, 07:24 PM
Bob T
1st Gear Member

PM sent.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:05 AM
Jande063
1st Gear Member

If all you care about is dry grip and tread longevity, I have used is the Bridgestone RE-11. A friend has a 2011 GT track pack, and was very displeased when we discovered that I could beat him to the 1/8 mile because I had so much more grip than his falken 453's. I have 20,000 miles, three track time trial events, and 20 autocrosses on the RE-11's, and still have just over 1/3 tread left. Another good option is the BF Goodrich G-Force Rival, but they do not last as long (more grip though). Also, the Dunlop Direzza Z2 Star Spec is a very good tire. Do yourself a favor, and make sure that you buy a square setup (front wheels and tires are the same width as the rears), the car drives better, and your tires will last way longer (the front tires wear much faster than the rears on this car, so being able to swap front to back helps a lot). The amount of understeer that these cars have from the factory, there is zero benefit to a wider rear tire. For wheels, take a look at a set of Forgestars, the F14s are great, but they also make a five spoke wheel that I have never used. Sam Strano sells the Forgestars for $350 per wheel, and Vorshlag is very similar in price. Sam is also a very good resource for anything tire and suspension related on these cars, go to his website www.stranoparts.com, take a look around.

Last edited by Jande063; 12-24-2014 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:32 PM
tradosaurus
1st Gear Member

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....oModClar=Coupe
Bought these Pirelli P4's recently for my son's 2008 Mustang (V6 base model). Great tires, comfortable ride.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:32 PM
teetertotter
2nd Gear Member

Firestone FR 710 if they have your size, but not for snow season. I have 4 Blizzak's for snow season.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:26 PM
OlPal
2nd Gear Member

When i changed wheels to Deep Dish Bullitt Chromes I researched the heck out of tire & went with Michelin Pilot 3 A/S

Smooth & quiet for our convertible touring...