Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Not so happy after 18 months with my 2014 Mustang Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 10:08 PM
Vegasrph98
1st Gear Member

Default Not so happy after 18 months with my 2014 Mustang Convertible

Well guys and gals its been an interesting 18+ months of ownership with my 2014 Mustang Premium Convertible. I special ordered my Stang in May of 2013 and took delivery of her in July of 2013. Since then, its been a rocky road.

First, there was some interior fit/finish issues that popped up:
Passenger Side Interior Mirror wouldn't stay up, it would keep falling down
Passenger Side window switch cover started to peel, the finish started coming off.
Front suspension was creaking/grinding whenever I drove into my driveway or over speed bumps. (That actually still persists after several visits)

The dealer addressed the issues and fixed them, except the suspension noise....thats still there.

Over the months the Stang has developed numerous rattles/noises....feels like the car has "loosened up"

The convertible top has started to get rubbed away on the Driver Side where the trim piece is that runs in a "U" shape around the car. Its about the size of a dime....there is white fabric showing now in that area.

My battery died Tuesday morning. The Stang has 15,000 miles on it.

There is a rubber/plastic ring around the ignition/key switch. That came out.

So, my dealer replaced the battery (under warranty)
They "patched" the convertible top with felt and black magic marker
Ordered me a new rubber/plastic ignition/key ring to install at a later date

Now, the dealer did say if the convertible top gets any worse....they will replace it for me under warranty. However, per protocol, they have to try the repair and do the "lets wait and see" solution.
Needless to say, I was not happy to see a shotty repair job on my 18mo old Mustang that stickered for $35,000 new.

So, my options are few. I am "upside down" on this car about $4,000. I owe $24,000 on it and its worth maybe $20,000 so trading it in or selling it is kind of out. (Had I known the resale value falls like a brick in water when I was buying it.....I may have just leased it)

Any thought, comments, feedback is welcome.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:54 PM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Vegasrph98
Well guys and gals its been an interesting 18+ months of ownership with my 2014 Mustang Premium Convertible. I special ordered my Stang in May of 2013 and took delivery of her in July of 2013. Since then, its been a rocky road.

First, there was some interior fit/finish issues that popped up:
Passenger Side Interior Mirror wouldn't stay up, it would keep falling down
Passenger Side window switch cover started to peel, the finish started coming off.
Front suspension was creaking/grinding whenever I drove into my driveway or over speed bumps. (That actually still persists after several visits)

The dealer addressed the issues and fixed them, except the suspension noise....thats still there.

Over the months the Stang has developed numerous rattles/noises....feels like the car has "loosened up"

The convertible top has started to get rubbed away on the Driver Side where the trim piece is that runs in a "U" shape around the car. Its about the size of a dime....there is white fabric showing now in that area.

My battery died Tuesday morning. The Stang has 15,000 miles on it.

There is a rubber/plastic ring around the ignition/key switch. That came out.

So, my dealer replaced the battery (under warranty)
They "patched" the convertible top with felt and black magic marker
Ordered me a new rubber/plastic ignition/key ring to install at a later date

Now, the dealer did say if the convertible top gets any worse....they will replace it for me under warranty. However, per protocol, they have to try the repair and do the "lets wait and see" solution.
Needless to say, I was not happy to see a shotty repair job on my 18mo old Mustang that stickered for $35,000 new.

So, my options are few. I am "upside down" on this car about $4,000. I owe $24,000 on it and its worth maybe $20,000 so trading it in or selling it is kind of out. (Had I known the resale value falls like a brick in water when I was buying it.....I may have just leased it)

Any thought, comments, feedback is welcome.
JC, your car is on warranty, shouldnt all this be covered ?
Old 03-06-2015, 07:18 AM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

I would say stick with repairing any of these problems. You've put a lot of money initially in this nice car and you special ordered it. Getting exactly what you wanted. Chances are after the repairs are in place, you will have smooth sailing. I can't find anything I can complain about with my 2011 convertible Mustang. Except the horrible Pirelli P Zero Nero original tires that I just replaced with Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500 tires. Which are much better initially.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:51 AM
Pr0cl1v1ty
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustangmaster
I would say stick with repairing any of these problems. You've put a lot of money initially in this nice car and you special ordered it. Getting exactly what you wanted. Chances are after the repairs are in place, you will have smooth sailing. I can't find anything I can complain about with my 2011 convertible Mustang. Except the horrible Pirelli P Zero Nero original tires that I just replaced with Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500 tires. Which are much better initially.
Just curious, what did you not like about the tires?
Old 03-06-2015, 08:58 AM
DK Pony
4th Gear Member

Hate to hear of all the issues.
I have a 2013 convertible and have zero issues other than the aforementioned Pirelli Tires.
Keep at the dealer and maybe even go to another dealer if you cant get satisfaction at the first one.
I know it is aggravating to have these issues but at least they are all covered under warranty.

Last edited by DK Pony; 03-06-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:51 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Sorry to hear about the issues you have had. Until your warranty runs out, keep on the dealer about it. Funny how you have 15K miles on it.......I only have 13K on mine but it isn't my daily driver either.
You said you could only get $20K for it selling it yourself? That doesn't sound right especially if it is in excellent condition. I think in any car you are prone to find even a minor issue.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:34 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by Vegasrph98
Well guys and gals its been an interesting 18+ months of ownership with my 2014 Mustang Premium Convertible. I special ordered my Stang in May of 2013 and took delivery of her in July of 2013. Since then, its been a rocky road. ...
Hey Vegasrph98,

I’m happy to get this escalated for you to the customer service manager for your area. Please make an appointment with your Ford Dealer and PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Old 03-06-2015, 02:38 PM
Bob T
1st Gear Member

I vote for sticking it out and getting all these things addressed under warranty. It's unfortunate that you've had this many problems. The squeaky front suspension sounds like it's the well documented front lower control arm bushings, there is a TSB for that issue and it should be covered under warranty. Mine had that issue and they replaced the parts, made sure the front end alignment was still correct, and also made sure the steering wheel was still clocked in the right position. I think the most unfortunate issue is the convertible top issue and just doing a band-aid fix instead of replacing.
But like you say, if you bail out now you will be out thousands of dollars. Give your girl another chance and stick it out for the long haul.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:43 PM
Vegasrph98
1st Gear Member

Thanks everyone for the replies and comments. Yes, the Stang is still under warranty....and will be until July 2016 (3yr/36k). The problem I have is having to keep taking it to the dealer for issues. My Service Advisor actually used to be my neighbor, so I have known him for many years. So, as far as the dealership giving me any issues/problems I feel they are trying to help me as best they can given that I personally know my Service Advisor.

That being said.....I guess the correct word is disappointed. I really feel disappointed in the fit/finish/quality of this $35,000 vehicle built by FORD. I pay a little over $500/mo to drive this Stang and I dont feel my money is being well spent.

However, I will PM the above FORD Service Rep and see if we can get these issues handled and get my feeling of disappointment to be changed.

I do have to make an appointment soon to get that ignition ring installed that fell off, so maybe at that appointment they can finally fix the front end suspension noise.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:41 AM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pr0cl1v1ty
Just curious, what did you not like about the tires?

I bought the car with the Pirellis on it and it was almost 4 years old so, in all fairness, they were probably partially dry rotted sitting outside in Florida. But, with only 20,000 miles on them, they only had maybe ⅛" tread left on them. They rode really stiff with 35 PSI or more in them. I put them down to 30 front, 28 back to make them ride where it didn't feel like a rough roller coaster ride. They were very loud. I did get the wheels aligned and that did help some. The guy doing the wheel align said the car only has 15,000 miles on it but, he has seen cars come off the assembly line out of line. The last thing I didn't like was the Pirellis tramline like no other tire I have ever had. So, the new Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires were instant relief on all those problems. Time will tell how well they hold up. I am running 36 front, 34 back PSI in those and it's smooth and quiet.

Quick Reply: Not so happy after 18 months with my 2014 Mustang Convertible