Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

My Dealership damaged my Mustang!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 07:38 PM
Vegasrph98
1st Gear Member

Default My Dealership damaged my Mustang!

Hello everyone. Well, today I took my 2014 Mustang in to the dealership to have the convertible top replaced. If you read my previous post, the top was starting to rip/tear due to the trim piece the top rests against. Ford authorized a full convertible top replacement and today the job was to be done. I left my Mustang at the dealer today at 8am and returned to pick it up around 3pm. Thats when I noticed significant damage to my Mustang.

So, now what??!!
The service advisor and his manager were shocked to see this.
They informed me that the person who worked on my car was NOT a Ford employee (first time I was hearing this) and they hired out the job. The person did not alert/inform anyone of the damage.
The dealership have me a loaner car for 5 days and said they need time to figure out a plan. My plan is to contact Ford in the morning and possibly an attorney.

What do you guys think? Can you believe this?
Old 03-25-2015, 07:53 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

I wouldn't call that significant damage.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:26 PM
Vegasrph98
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1slow67
I wouldn't call that significant damage.
Its significant to me, because its my Mustang. Not sure what word or words you would use if you came to pick up your Mustang from the dealership and saw this on your car. But, significant and unacceptable certainly come to mind.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:08 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

Take a deep breath and see what the dealer comes up with. I agree, that's hardly significant damage. I had to go back and look at the pictures a second time to see the minimal damage.

As far as contacting an attorney, you're really jumping off the deep end without even knowing how much water is in the pool.

For all you know, the dealer could come back with a perfectly acceptable resolution for you, and all this blood pressure was just a waste of your time.

Give them time, and report your results when you have some.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:09 PM
Bob T
1st Gear Member

That looks significant to me.
Looks like someone didn't have the right tools for the job.
Hate to hear the bad luck is continuing for you on your car.
So far it sounds like Ford may still do the right thing, let us know how it goes.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:21 PM
Vegasrph98
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz
Take a deep breath and see what the dealer comes up with. I agree, that's hardly significant damage. I had to go back and look at the pictures a second time to see the minimal damage.

As far as contacting an attorney, you're really jumping off the deep end without even knowing how much water is in the pool.

For all you know, the dealer could come back with a perfectly acceptable resolution for you, and all this blood pressure was just a waste of your time.

Give them time, and report your results when you have some.
I wonder how you would describe this damage and how you would act if you were in my shoes.

Picture YOUR beautiful Mustang....your baby....your expensive perfect condition Mustang....your pride and joy ride......your hand washed/diaper dried/waxed/detailed Mustang.
You show up to the dealership and see what I saw.
I imagine your response would be similar. Don't fool yourself.
My iphone doesn't take excellent pics by any means......if you could see my Mustang in person, you would see how deep and large the dents are and the trim pieces are covering a lot that you cannot see. Its significant to me. And it would be significant to you as well.....as a car lover.
The dealership outsourced a hackjob artist to work on my car and allowed him to leave without inspecting the work he did.
UNACCEPTABLE. PERIOD.

The dealership offered to put my Mustang in the Body Shop and repair it.
So, now my 2014 Mustang that has 15,000 miles on it needs body work and it wasn't my fault.
What if the body shop does a poor job? Then what? Based on my experience so far and my luck with this Mustang and dealership...I am not overly confident it will turn out like new.

Last edited by Vegasrph98; 03-25-2015 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:09 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

convertable tops are sub let jobs, usually to upholstery shops, they prob. damaged it, if you dealer is a good one they will repair for no charge. contact a lawyer? give them time to fix it for you, dont be that dickbag.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:32 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

i know for a fact that there is no "ford training in vert top replacement". you dont have to be happy about the damage, but if they fix it, its fixed. wanting a buy back for such minor damage is crazy, but if they give you a new car good for you, they will just fix yours and sell it again. but expecting all to side with your "major damage" claim, isnt going to happen. lol
Old 03-26-2015, 11:04 AM
BlindGUYnAR
2nd Gear Member

It sucks and I'd be pissed about it as well.

It seems like dealership is taking responsibility though so it would hard for me to stay mad about it. If they weren't I'd be crazy pi$$ed.

If the dealership took care of it to my satisfaction though I'd be fine though and I'd keep the car.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:19 PM
Vegasrph98
1st Gear Member

Just curious, maybe everyone could weigh in on this:
When a vehicle is repaired at a collision center or body shop and the repair is logged into the data base and tied to the VIN.....what happens to that vehicle's value? I am asking this because most of the responses here seem to think I am going overboard, coming off too harsh, jumping off the deep end, a dick-bag, etc.

Second, how do I know this person who worked on my Mustang did the work correctly? Or up to Ford factory standards? My concern is that he damaged my vehicle and had no regard to report it to anyone and just left. That leads me to think his work ethic isnt his strong suit.

My vehicle was damaged in my dealership's possession and the damage was done by someone they allowed to work on my car who was not a dealeship employee or associated with Ford Motor Co.

So, when I sell/trade the Mustang in.....a CARFAX or some other VIN report will be run and my vehicle will show body damage and body repair. To think that wont show up or be a concerning factor is foolish. The VIN report will show anything/everything concerning the vehicle.

The fact that I have a vehicle that requires body shop work isnt what I envisioned when I took my car to the dealership for repairs to be made. So, I am simply trying to figure out my options.

Yes, accidents happen.....I am not saying they dont. But, keep in mind that the dealership never told me anything about my vehicle being worked on by an outside vendor. To my surprise, my vehicle was damaged by this outside vendor and now my dealership clues me in on the fact that they didnt do the work.

The Ford Rep I spoke to is the one who said all Certified Ford Techs are trained on every vehicle Ford sells and has the knowledge and skill to repair/replace any part on any vehicle Ford sells......including replacing a convertible top. His words.....not mine.

Again, I am an understanding person and not looking to crucify anyone. As a member of Mustang Forums, I was simply sharing my experience with everyone here and never meant to come across as someone who "expects everything to be perfect". However, I didnt expect my vehicle to be damaged upon picking it up either.

Quick Reply: My Dealership damaged my Mustang!