Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

My Dealership damaged my Mustang!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 02:58 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

I think this thread went out of control when the word "lawyer" was uttered. Never drop the word "lawyer" until things go sideways.

As far as significant: Any damage to your car by another is significant. If you do it yourself you can call it insignificant or significant. And if it is significant, you'd get it fixed asap!
Old 04-07-2015, 03:46 PM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention:

On top of the dealership taking care of you and put your car back to being right, I hope they then turn around and go after who they contracted the work out to. The chances are, whoever did the work is aware they dinged up your car and they just put it back together and handed it back to the dealership without saying a single word of it!
Old 04-07-2015, 06:46 PM
1985GTto2013GTCSV

I assume they will be replacing the trim as well? I can see where it is white from being overstressed just above the worst sheet metal damage.

I don't think anyone telling you it wasn't significant was suggesting you just ignore it or leave it unprepared.... just pointing out its hardly the kind of thing where the car will never quite be the same again.

This is that kind of thing: I hit a deer last year in my F-150, which happens to cost more than most Mustangs (well... it has a nicer interior so I guess it should). New hood, windshield, grille, headlight and everything forward of the doors and above the bumper repainted. Nobody else notices but the Tinted clearcoat Red Candy paint in certain light is just a tiny bit more pinkish and I'm still picking glass out of little nooks and crannies in the interior. I had already killed the deer so I couldn't sue it or even complain to it... and I paid a $500 deductible and drove a Yaris for a month. That my friend is significant damage.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:29 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1985GTto2013GTCSV
I assume they will be replacing the trim as well? I can see where it is white from being overstressed just above the worst sheet metal damage.

I don't think anyone telling you it wasn't significant was suggesting you just ignore it or leave it unprepared.... just pointing out its hardly the kind of thing where the car will never quite be the same again.

This is that kind of thing: I hit a deer last year in my F-150, which happens to cost more than most Mustangs (well... it has a nicer interior so I guess it should). New hood, windshield, grille, headlight and everything forward of the doors and above the bumper repainted. Nobody else notices but the Tinted clearcoat Red Candy paint in certain light is just a tiny bit more pinkish and I'm still picking glass out of little nooks and crannies in the interior. I had already killed the deer so I couldn't sue it or even complain to it... and I paid a $500 deductible and drove a Yaris for a month. That my friend is significant damage.
exactly
Old 04-08-2015, 04:44 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GLOCKer
I don't know what I missed from before the thread was cleaned up, but it does sound as if you were a little over the top at the beginning of the thread. If it was my car, I'd be very upset too and want it fixed as soon as possible. I know that it's unrealistic to have a magic wand waved over the car for an instant fix, so I'd expect that it's going to take some time to make the damage right. I would have voiced my displeasure to the dealership over the whole incident, but then waited to see what they would do to make it right. In my experience having dealt with different entities through my 35 years, when people start hollering about lawyers and want to become over-the-top, they are less likely to get the favorable result they want voluntarily. Those that are willing to work with the offending party are more likely to get the results they want.

I'm not trying to bash you here; just letting you know what I felt when I red your original post. I'm interested in knowing if the dealership is going to resolve this matter for you to your satisfaction! Keep us updated!
Originally Posted by Derf00
+1...same sentiment from me. It has nothing to do with being a Mustang enthusiast or not. It has to do with how you deal with being upset will dictate how you are treated and ultimately what the resolution will be.

Being mad is totally reasonable, I think just about anyone would be (regardless of the car). But, mentioning a lawyer before you even talk to the dealer is over the top and sets the wrong tone for the whole situation. That just says I am now going to fug you over no matter what you try to do, so don't bother. And that's just what people will do when threatened....don't bother. Why bother if the other party is already posturing like nothing will be good enough? It's not like you've tried to work with them and they are not fixing the problem....then you can talk about a lawyer and probably get a lot of support.

Not to mention, if it goes before a judge for any reason, the first thing they will ask is, Did you (mr customer) try to work with the company that upset you first? If no, I guarantee a judge will be less favorable to anything you have to say and you will get stuck paying for your own lawyer.

To me it looks like the shop that worked on the car didn't know what they were doing, and pryed the top off with a pry bar... I'd be concerned about damage underneath. Sounds like the dealer is willing to fix the body damage (as they should).

So, yeah, keep us posted on what the dealer is and is not willing to do and how it turns out.
Exactly! Prior to the "clean up" I don't recall anyone saying he should ignore the damage and just be OK with it, but somehow that keeps getting mentioned. I recall people (myself included) telling him to talk to the dealer and find a resolution. Cooler heads always prevail. Somehow it was turned into a pissing match about income, engine size, and then had multiple messages removed which now makes the thread confusing to read.

Regardless, I'm sure the dealer will fix it now that it seems the proper channels are being followed.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:36 PM
Vegasrph98
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheDutchTexan
I think this thread went out of control when the word "lawyer" was uttered. Never drop the word "lawyer" until things go sideways.

As far as significant: Any damage to your car by another is significant. If you do it yourself you can call it insignificant or significant. And if it is significant, you'd get it fixed asap!
Just to clarify things....if you read my very 1st post I was simply asking for help from the forum and the members.....I never said the words attorney or lawyer to my SA or his manager or anyone at the dealership. Not sure how I got branded "that guy" but I was simply ASKING if I might need a lawyer.....then all of a sudden I was a dick-bag and a perfectionist and I drive a V6 so why do I care....etc. Again, I was only asking if IF I should contact an attorney. Now I know how some of you all feel about lawyers.....lol

For an update:
I still DO NOT have my Mustang back.
It has been over 2 weeks now....the damage happened on 3-25-15.

At this point, I am so over all of this.
It really makes me sad to know that I special ordered my Mustang, had it built EXACTLY how I wanted it.....and now......I have such a sour/bad taste in my mouth because of what my dealership did to my Mustang.

I can only hope that when they do finish fixing it.....its done correctly and looks like it should. I am being optomistic.

Last edited by Vegasrph98; 04-09-2015 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:42 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Again, any back-lash may have come from how your initial post sounded. You didn't ask if you should contact a lawyer, you stated, "My plan is to contact Ford in the morning and possibly an attorney." This gives the impression that you are not going to wait to see if the dealership is going to make it right.

I can understand how upsetting it would be to have your dream car, and then have it damaged. But at the same time, if the dealership were working to make it right and they needed the time to make it right, I'd be happy with the fact they weren't slapping the car back together in a hap-hazard way.

My wife's 2013 Ford Escape was recently rear ended on the interstate by a tractor-trailer, and we were quoted by the Ford dealership that handled the repairs a one week turn-around on the work (she got lucky and the driver swerved to avoid hitting her and just clipped her!). The dealership took two weeks to get the car done! I wasn't upset though because I wanted her car repair the right way the first time! And we weren't out a car as she was provided with a rental. The rental car kind of sucked, but it was a small inconvenience.

In my profession, I've dealt with a lot of business disputes as an unbiased 3rd party, and I can tell you that an overwhelming number of these disputes stemmed from an unwillingness for the customer to let the business try to make the situation right. They came off from the start giving the impression that nothing the business did was going to fix the situation. As others here have already stated; why should they try then to make it right if they are made to feel like the customer is going to be dissatisfied no matter what course of action they take.

Please, don't feel like I'm trying to paint you to be an ******* here. When you immediately make the jump to "lawyer" in your first post, or use language like, "I'm so over this," it can give one the impression that you are having zero patience for the people that are most likely trying to make your situation right. It sounds like they pretty much admitted that an agent working on their behalf damaged your car, and they are going to take care of it, and even provide you a loaner vehicle to use while they try to put your car right. Remember, there is no magic wand they can wave over your car to make the damage go away, and on top of the body work that takes time to make right, they have to deal with the convertible top that they are probably not experts with. My suggestion is to just be patient and let them get the job done the right way.

Good luck and I hope they return your car to the right condition!
Old 04-10-2015, 09:46 AM
teetertotter
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bob T
Vegasrph98 sorry to hear you or anybody having an experience like that.
I don't have experience with a lot of different Ford service departments but I can tell you the one I go to for my car is 180 degrees different and I couldn't be happier with them.
I know that doesn't help you any but they are not all like the one you've been dealing with.
Once you get your issue resolved and if you keep your car, hopefully there is another service department within reasonable distance because it sounds like that is one to stay far away from.
DITTO and do give them a bad report too! Stick it to them. I hope the repair work turns out to your liking.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:23 AM
heslekrants
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Vegasrph98
Just to clarify things....if you read my very 1st post I was simply asking for help from the forum and the members.....I never said the words attorney or lawyer to my SA or his manager or anyone at the dealership. Not sure how I got branded "that guy" but I was simply ASKING if I might need a lawyer.....then all of a sudden I was a dick-bag and a perfectionist and I drive a V6 so why do I care....etc. Again, I was only asking if IF I should contact an attorney. Now I know how some of you all feel about lawyers.....lol.
Any real car guy would be upset with the damage done to your car if it happened to their car. I had a lotboy drive a big dually truck over the front of my car when it was at the dealership then the dealer gave my car to the same lotboy to take it to their bodyshop to get an estimate for repairs. That lotboy slammed my car into a curb while doing donuts in it. It was a lot of drama but in the end the dealer made things right.

Once you get your car repaired make sure you have a lifetime warranty on the repairs from FORD.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:33 PM
Vegasrph98
1st Gear Member

Well folks, I went to the dealership today to pick up my Mustang.....my Service Advisor called to inform me it was ready.
I arrived at the dealership, I was greeted by 3 employees of the dealership: my SA, the Service Manager and another lady that is a Customer Relations person for the dealership.
They walked me outside to my Mustang, and immediately I noticed the plastic trim piece that was on the damaged side was sitting high and not flush to the car.
Looking at it closer and rubbing my hand around the damaged and repaired area, I could feel a ripple/high spot in the metal.....this was making the trim piece not sit flush.
On the other side of the car, the other plastic trim piece that was replaced still had some sort of blue backing/tape that was immediately visible sticking out from the underside of the trim piece.
Also, my right rear tail light had NOT been replaced as promised....it was still scratched.
When I asked about the tail light....my SA said he didn't think it was done by the outside vendor who worked on my car. I responded back saying, well, when I pointed it out to you.....you grabbed a bottle of some kind of pink wax and a shop rag and tried to buff it out. The only thing that did was introduce a bunch of scratches and swirl marks on my tail light. When I said that, you responded....well, we will just replace it. Heck, it doesn't matter to us, we aren't paying for any of this.
So, why is that tail light still on my car?
No answer.

I left the Mustang there, since it isn't done or fixed....and drove home in my rental vehicle trying to make sense of all of this. I have been without my Mustang for 2 weeks and 2 days....and its still not fixed.

Last edited by Vegasrph98; 04-10-2015 at 06:38 PM.

Quick Reply: My Dealership damaged my Mustang!