Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Requesting suggestions for project build...

Old 04-05-2015, 06:23 PM
BinaryFu

Default Requesting suggestions for project build...

Okay so...at one point this year, I was worried I'd have to sell my Mustang, Angel Blue. As it turns out, she's safe from that, in fact - over the next couple (several?) years I'm hoping to turn her into a head turner. (Not that she isn't that already)

This is where you, my fellow members, come into play. I'd like some suggestions for a MAJOR makeover, suggestions on excellent parts to use, upgrades that should be AVOIDED for whatever reason, etc.

Just so you all know where I'm coming from, here's a list of things I do and do not want to do with this car:

Do NOT:
*Turn it into a V8.
*Turn it into a 1/4 mile car.
*Make it so loud it wakes/annoys the neighbors.

DO:
*Improve stability and handling.
*Improve 60-0 stopping capability.
*Improve top speed and 0-60 acceleration.
*Make it responsible for whiplash - inside and outside the car.
*Give it a nice custom look that's understated but still stunning.

So far, I've got a basic list (typical of what I'd do with an old classic car) however, I know very little of the new breed, so I'd love input on what should and shouldn't be done - and why, if you don't mind sharing.

This is a serious goal I have and over the next few years, I'm planning to create several howto guides as I work on these.

I think this car is the perfect project car for the plain and simple fact that it's currently got under 28,000 miles on it.

For a 2005 Ford Mustang Deluxe - that's pretty nifty.

Cheers,
BinaryFu
Old 04-06-2015, 05:53 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BinaryFu
DO:
*Improve stability and handling.
BinaryFu
lower it with better shocks and struts, LCA's

*Improve 60-0 stopping capability.
BinaryFu
GT front rotor swap

*Improve top speed and 0-60 acceleration.
BinaryFu
forced induction either turbo or supercharger

*Make it responsible for whiplash - inside and outside the car.
BinaryFu
not sure what you mean?

*Give it a nice custom look that's understated but still stunning.
BinaryFu
there are many body kits you can choose from or even just replacing the hood will change the attitude of the car, look around there are tons of aftermarket parts for our cars

recommend looking on americanmuscle.com as well as other places, there is a pretty good vendor list on the forums as well as classifieds that you may utilize. good luck with your build.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:55 PM
BinaryFu

Originally Posted by JJHoover
lower it with better shocks and struts, LCA's
LCA's = Lower Control Arms, I'm guessing? Any specific brand stand out for these upgrades?

GT front rotor swap
Is that a pretty straight forward swap and why just the fronts?

forced induction either turbo or supercharger
Hmmm...which one would give the best performance while still keeping the fuel economy at a decent level?

not sure what you mean?
I believe a turbo or supercharger would definitely fit the bill for causing whiplash inside the car...and a sexy exterior would do the rest...

there are many body kits you can choose from or even just replacing the hood will change the attitude of the car, look around there are tons of aftermarket parts for our cars
I have been noticing that. The body mods aren't nearly as important to me for feedback as the performance mods - which you've given a good start to.

recommend looking on americanmuscle.com as well as other places, there is a pretty good vendor list on the forums as well as classifieds that you may utilize. good luck with your build.
I have visited AM a bit and I do like a lot of the car mods they have. I'll definitely take a look at the vendor list, as I'm sure there are plenty of great ones out there. Much appreciate the feedback and the well wishes on the build.

Now I only have one more dilemma - somebody is offering me $11k for it, as is. I just don't know what to do - I love this car and it's rare find - a 10 year old car with less than 30k miles...It's such a hard choice - the wife and I could use the extra cash, but it's not really *needed* and if I did sell it, I'd still have to get another car for backup.

Any opinions on that one? LoL!
Old 04-07-2015, 12:44 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

yes the LCA's are lower control arms, also if your car isn't equipped with a rear sway bar you may want to consider that as well. As far as specific brand I do not know. I generally give myself a price range and look at the ones in that price range and look at the reviews to make my decision, you will also have to decide on adjustable or non adjustable

I have the SR performance LCA's on my car
http://www.americanmuscle.com/sr-lca-0514.html

as well I am ordering the upper control arm as well going to put that in when I do the rear end swap.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/sr-uca-0510.html

Others who have experience in these will hopefully chime in
Old 04-07-2015, 12:47 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

Gt rotors, I havent done them myself but I found this from a Moderator on here

Originally Posted by JimC
The rear brakes are exactly the same for the V6 and V8 - nothing different at all so nothing to upgrade other than pads and rotors. If it fits the V8 it fits the V6 on the rear.

On the front all you do is swap the bracket from the GT for the one on your current caliper. The calipers are the same and only the bracket is different. No need to open the brake system so no bleeding needed in that case. Swap brackets, put on the bigger rotors, put in new pads, and put it back together.

I have the Hawk HPS on my car and they are good pads. The last set really dusted pretty bad but this pair doesn't seem to be doing the same thing. I've heard from others who bought the Gold Cmax at Auto Zone and been very pleased with those
here is the thread that came from
https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s...n-upgrade.html
Old 04-07-2015, 12:58 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

Hmmm...which one would give the best performance while still keeping the fuel economy at a decent level?
that question can create many to argue on the merits of Turbo vs S/C, I don't have that answer, I bought my S/C based on cost and lack of complication for myself to install. I would search the forums and see if you can find an answer

Also you may want to consider upgrading the rear end to an 8.8 if you go this route

Last edited by JJHoover; 04-07-2015 at 12:59 AM. Reason: rear end
Old 04-07-2015, 01:09 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

BinaryFu: I believe a turbo or supercharger would definitely fit the bill for causing whiplash inside the car...and a sexy exterior would do the rest...
that's all personal opinion on what your tastes are, if you don't have a leather interior you may wish to swap your out for one. there are many chrome and polished aluminum accents you can choose from as well as dash decal kits.

look around the forums and see what others have done might give you an idea of what you may like or wont like
Old 04-07-2015, 01:13 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

BinaryFu
Now I only have one more dilemma - somebody is offering me $11k for it, as is. I just don't know what to do - I love this car and it's rare find - a 10 year old car with less than 30k miles...It's such a hard choice - the wife and I could use the extra cash, but it's not really *needed* and if I did sell it, I'd still have to get another car for backup.

Any opinions on that one? LoL!
Can't answer that one for you, but I will say I have found this model to be a fairly reliable car. I have over 230K miles on mine (mostly highway) and other than normal wear items the only thing I did was replace the transmission at 180K. good luck with your decision
Old 05-21-2015, 12:53 PM
BinaryFu

Can't answer that one for you, but I will say I have found this model to be a fairly reliable car. I have over 230K miles on mine (mostly highway) and other than normal wear items the only thing I did was replace the transmission at 180K. good luck with your decision
JJ, thank you so much for all of your input - the wife and I finally decided we'd move without selling the 'stang. We're now in the Nashville, TN area.

Sadly however, I think I'm finally realizing that, although this car has less than 30k miles on it - everything on the car *is* 10 years old.

Had the rad recovery cap losing pressure because the dealership claimed the thermostat was locking up (which has never happened - ever) and after they fixed that, I'm having a fuel vapor leak that they say is most likely the fuel pump going up.

Basically I'm seeing that my desire to build this into a street rod by upgrading a *lot* of the car to performance parts really isn't a bad idea at all - I just might *have* to start replacing parts faster than I originally thought!

Of course, it's also a pain in the posterior to have a dealership working on my car (I loathe them working on my car with all my heart - unless it's warranty work, then they can do it all day long) but without a garage to work in and without tools - I'm at their mercy until I find where the best local garage is...

In other news, I was considering keeping the rear that's in there, but upgrading to the limited slip for the 7.5...any opinions on which is the better way to go? Replacing the rear completely with the 8.8 or keeping the smaller rear and just going limited slip?

Also, currently I have a pristine cloth interior and upgrading to leather might be the fancier way to go, but I don't think it'd look as nice...but you're right, I need to start checking out what others have done to get some interior ideas. The only one I have so far is upgrading the head unit to a Clarion NX-604. I think that will go very well with the Shaker 500 amp and subs (which are plenty loud enough for my tastes) and I think it'll clean up the sound quality as well.

I really appreciate all the feedback from everyone - sorry for the long delay but moving sucks!

Cheers,
BinaryFu
Old 05-28-2015, 06:17 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

I upgraded to an 8.8 figured after buying the limited slip and the gears and pay to have someone install them in the 7.5 it would be about the same as buying a used 8.8.

I went from cloth to leather and I am very happy with it, though my drivers side seat needed to be replaced. I would say if its still good leave it for later.

I would talk to your neighbors and see if they know anyone who does side mechanical work to do your upgrades.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Requesting suggestions for project build...