Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Wheel Bearing Hub Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 03:48 PM
Eismann
1st Gear Member

Default Wheel Bearing Hub Assembly

Out of curiosity, how many of you have had to change yours out and how many times?

Currently I am on my 3rd for both driver and passenger sides. Getting ready to replace the driver side again in the next few weeks (lasted less than a year, but at least it is under warranty). Normal highway driving. No track driving. I know this can't be normal.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:58 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

I have a 05 and have yet to change them. Something definitely is not right.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:09 PM
Eismann
1st Gear Member

Yep I know something isn't right I just do not know what it is. Maybe the new one will last longer.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:45 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

2006 230k miles and I still haven't changed mine
Old 05-12-2015, 06:09 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Similar issues with mine. And my '04 had bearing issues too. Like the infamous plastic T-stat housing... it seem to be very hit or miss.

I may opt for the better Timken units this time around.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:19 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

in my experience, you will change the bearing again and again if you buy the cheap aftermarket bearings, opt for a higher quality part.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:27 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwog666
in my experience, you will change the bearing again and again if you buy the cheap aftermarket bearings, opt for a higher quality part.
I normally heed that paradigm. Especially on a vehicle with high mileage. But it would seem of late, a LOT of these aftermarket units have become... far less than gratifying as they used to be.

Recently, I had a similar experience when finally, at 150K miles my T-stat housing failed... and 10 months later, the "upgraded" Dorman unit failed.

The aluminum unit I have on there... pretty much won't.

Interestingly enough... on my '04 Stang... the ORIGINAL bearings failed at 40K. Gotta wonder where Ford sourced THOSE, eh?

BTW... Love that avatar....
Old 05-13-2015, 03:14 PM
Eismann
1st Gear Member

I agree which is why I bought some last year that have a 3 year warranty on them. Driver's side is already bad. Just didn't know if this was an issue that others were having or not.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:10 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

I hear ya... when the bearing went on the '04 I was quite surprised... but then, I was also surprised to see they had gone to these "hub assembly" style bearings. First I had ever seen that on an RWD car.

Admittedly, somewhat easier and far less messy than the old style bearings... I seldom ever had those fail.

So... yeah, me too... fully in "bearing procurement" mode. Again.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:19 PM
Eismann
1st Gear Member

They are easier. Downside is that I can't get it changed until I get my beater running again since it takes 24-48 hours to get the new assembly and the auto parts store won't order it in until they verify that the current one is bad. That being said the beater should run awesome when it is put back together with the parts I just installed.

Quick Reply: Wheel Bearing Hub Assembly