Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New to Forum - just bought 2006 4.0 V6

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 01:13 PM
Burnhaven

Default New to Forum - just bought 2006 4.0 V6

Hello from Bellingham, Washington. I'm sure I'll look into performance enhancements for this stock two-door coupe, but I"m going to need another key ( and remote if possible ). Also some red touch-up paint to fix a few nicks.

Only other question at the moment is how to check the auto transmission fluid level? This car received a new transmission 2 years ago at 62k miles with 89k on it now and everything seems fine.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:55 AM
teetertotter
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Burnhaven
Hello from Bellingham, Washington. I'm sure I'll look into performance enhancements for this stock two-door coupe, but I"m going to need another key ( and remote if possible ). Also some red touch-up paint to fix a few nicks.

Only other question at the moment is how to check the auto transmission fluid level? This car received a new transmission 2 years ago at 62k miles with 89k on it now and everything seems fine.
There are threads with others that have done enhancements. I doubt the times in the qtr mile will make much of a difference with adding a tuner package or CAI & pulley change or dual exhaust. They say it does, but doubt it w/o proof. Maybe .0002 sec in the qtr?

No way to check xmission fluid. Change every 100,000 like manual says using synthetic.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:05 PM
svastano
4th Gear Member

I have done a few mods to mine mostly to look better. I did add an AirRaid intake/air filter & Shorty headers with dual exhaust. Sounds much better. I never did a tune only because like other say it doesn't do too much. Post some photos so we can see!
Old 08-07-2015, 01:05 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by teetertotter
There are threads with others that have done enhancements. I doubt the times in the qtr mile will make much of a difference with adding a tuner package or CAI & pulley change or dual exhaust. They say it does, but doubt it w/o proof. Maybe .0002 sec in the qtr?

No way to check xmission fluid. Change every 100,000 like manual says using synthetic.
A tune actually does a lot to wake up the 4.0 -- much more than 0.0002 in the quarter mile. I don't think that my 2006 got out of the high 15's until a tune.

If you really want to enhance performance, either nitrous, supercharger (loved my Xcharger Xtreme on the 2006), or turbo. But a CAI and tune will do a lot for the 4.0 with automatic.

Last edited by JimC; 08-07-2015 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:08 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by Burnhaven

Welcome.

Unfortunately there is no dipstick on the automatic transmission. The way you check for fluid level is to get it to operating temperature, open the center fill port on the drain, and pump fluid in until it drains back out. Then you start it up, put it in gear and let it run - and pump more fluid in until it drains out again. Not something you want to do on jack stands, in the driveway, on your back. Best bet is to take it to the dealer to be checked; they have some "special" tools for it.

If you only have one key, then you will have to go to the dealer for a second key. You can't program a key unless you have two operating keys first.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:35 PM
Burnhaven

Running good. Had the transmission service, just because. Only issue is it doesn't drop into reverse about 1 out of 8 times. Shift back to park, then to reverse and it goes.
Might look into tuning etc, but enjoying for now.

Old 08-08-2015, 05:15 PM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

Looks great. Congrats.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:27 PM
Burnhaven

We had thought about a Mini Cooper and before that one of the faster Subaru models. Some people are looking for absolute performance, regardless of looks and sometimes regardless of cost. For us, performance is important up to a point, but the appearance of the Mustang overshadows the Mini and the Subaru, without breaking the bank. Sure if you have unlimited funds a top of the line corvette or Ferrari gets you super performance and looks. Looks is a personal thing of course.

Being baby boomers, the Mustang has looks we like ( those from the last ten years anyway ), and even if I had 600 horsepower I wouldn't be able to make use of it.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:45 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

Old 08-17-2015, 07:27 AM
Burnhaven

Nice what did it cost to put in those performance mods ( not the tires/wheels ) and what was the HP gain?

Quick Reply: New to Forum - just bought 2006 4.0 V6