Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Not sure what to do

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 06:46 PM
callcameron

Default Not sure what to do

My wife had a 2007 Mustang (not sure if it is the pony package or appearance package). She was driving the Durango for awhile and so the Mustang sat for about a month. When she got back into the Mustang, it was running really rough. When she opened the glove box, she realized that mice had gotten into it. They basically chewed right through the side of the dash into the the glove box. I turned it into my insurance company and took it to the shop. When it was discovered that they got the wiring harness, the insurance company decided to total it. I bought it back for less than $1,800 as it was in otherwise excellent condition and had less than 52,000 miles on it. When I got the title from the DMV, it was totally clean, not salvaged! Jackpot!

Anyway, I've got almost the entire interior out. There is a little bit of the dash that is still holding on. I've determined that I need to disconnect the heater core hoses but can't figure out how. I got the intake manifold off to get better access but I can not figure out for the life of me how to disconnect the hoses. I got so frustrated that I put the car on the internet for parts but I've calmed down a bit now.

Also, the part of the wiring harness that is chewed up is right where it goes into the firewall inside on the passenger side. I can not see a break between that spot and all of the wiring in the car (for the seats, etc.)

Any suggestions? I'll attach a pic my wife took of the car awhile ago and you guys may be able to determine which sub-model it is. I can even post the VIN if that will help.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:16 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by callcameron
My wife had a 2007 Mustang (not sure if it is the pony package or appearance package). She was driving the Durango for awhile and so the Mustang sat for about a month. When she got back into the Mustang, it was running really rough. When she opened the glove box, she realized that mice had gotten into it. They basically chewed right through the side of the dash into the the glove box. I turned it into my insurance company and took it to the shop. When it was discovered that they got the wiring harness, the insurance company decided to total it. I bought it back for less than $1,800 as it was in otherwise excellent condition and had less than 52,000 miles on it. When I got the title from the DMV, it was totally clean, not salvaged! Jackpot!

Anyway, I've got almost the entire interior out. There is a little bit of the dash that is still holding on. I've determined that I need to disconnect the heater core hoses but can't figure out how. I got the intake manifold off to get better access but I can not figure out for the life of me how to disconnect the hoses. I got so frustrated that I put the car on the internet for parts but I've calmed down a bit now.

Also, the part of the wiring harness that is chewed up is right where it goes into the firewall inside on the passenger side. I can not see a break between that spot and all of the wiring in the car (for the seats, etc.)

Any suggestions? I'll attach a pic my wife took of the car awhile ago and you guys may be able to determine which sub-model it is. I can even post the VIN if that will help.
If it runs at all, this indicates that the most vital functions to running are intact: fuel pump, computer powered-up, ignition functional. Running rough can be the result of loss of any number of needed computer inputs, so further discussion will be only heresay. If you can, obtain any codes stored in the computer. That would give a good start. The computer is located behind the kick panel on the passenger side, so it's likely some computer connections were affected. The best remedy might be to obtain a new computer harness and replace the old. This would nearly be mandatory unless you possess unusually good understanding of circuit tracing and trouble-shooting of wiring.

Shame to throw away the vehicle.........
Old 12-24-2018, 07:24 PM
callcameron

Part of the reason it was totaled is because the wiring harness is no longer available. I could get one from a dismantler but where does this thing end? Like I said, I don't see a break between the firewall and all of the wiring inside the car. Besides the wiring, nothing else was affected that isn't cosmetic (i.e. the big hole in the side of dash). I'm just worried that I'll break too much stuff trying to get the wiring harness out. If I can figure out how to post a pic, I'll post a pic of the damaged wiring harness.

Theoretically, If I could get the harness out, I could run new wires from point A to point B for all the affected wires.
Old 12-25-2018, 03:44 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

If you press the trunk release button, and the trunk don't pop, then that's that group
of wires. Or say, the high beams don't work...

This would be all the items effected, but not limited to, by that harness.

This is the SJB Harness:

Not sure what there would effect how the car runs, that being on the passenger side.

After buying it back for $1800, it would be worth calling around and seeing what a shop
would charge to repair that. I mean, if you got, say, $3000 for it, and bought it back for
$1800, you got some cash to work with.
Old 12-25-2018, 03:47 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

I see a lot of wires running over to the left side of the car... Yeah, you're gonna need a
service manual for that... You can splice wires in, and if you must, use a PAINT on
electrical tape to seal them, one at a time. It works, I use it a lot.

You may be able to loosen it up in the engine bay, the to body fasteners, see if you can pull
as much inside as you can to start matching and repairing the wires.
Old 12-25-2018, 06:26 PM
artsvettes73
2nd Gear Member

You don't need to disconnect the heater hoses to remove the dash. Most likely the wires that got chewed up run from the ecm or fuse box in the engine bay to the SJB. Most quick and economical way would be from a salvage yard. A repair that close to the grommet would be a pain in the butt.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:52 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Wow, only 52k miles and bought it back for $1800! I would most definitely try to fix it! Look at my '07...it is a Pony Package. They came with 17" rims as well as a Mustang side stripe. Also they came with the smaller fog lights on the front grill. If you do not see these, then it could just be a premium Mustang.
Good Luck and post pictures.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:55 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Old 12-26-2018, 10:56 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Old 12-26-2018, 10:57 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Quick Reply: Not sure what to do