Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

water leak in cabin possible junction box issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 12:52 PM
romolicious

Talking water leak in cabin possible junction box issue

hi all,

any assistance you could provide is greatly appreciated.

I have a 2006 mustang V6 coupe (automatic) and have experienced water leaking in the passenger side cabin for a while now. when I have taken it to the dealership they think I am nuts. I showed them cell phone video and they said its the drain but they don't know for sure.

so Saturday night when I got home I had a hard time putting my car in reverse to park and drive (parallel parking) and the key would not come out of the ignition and the car won't shift out of park. It has not rained in quite a while and the carpet is dry - though I did go for a car wash that day. I have been using the work around (pushing the button) to be able to use the car to get to work.

it seems all my rear lights are working. is this a problem with the smart junction box?

the car doesn't seem to be losing battery power - it starts normally and I drive it. I have no idea where to begin to diagnose the problem and I would like to know more about what is going on before I take it to the dealer or a mechanic.

finally, since the smart junction box is so expensive and if I am not losing battery power - does it affect my transmission if I keep using the reset button?

please help
Old 10-23-2015, 11:33 AM
artsvettes73
2nd Gear Member

If you are capable disconnect the battery FIRST. Then remove the right side kick panel. Disconnect the connectors at the sjb. Look for traces of green on the sjb socket and the face of the connectors. If you see green traces the corrosion has started to attack the terminals. The shift interlock does go through the sjb to the under hood bec. Please don't attempt to do this without disconnecting the battery FIRST. I have gotten sjb's from the salvage yard and have worked for me with no problems. As long as you get a box with your option content or better.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:28 PM
romolicious

thank you so much for your help!! I really appreciate it. going to try doing this this weekend!
Old 10-23-2015, 01:55 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

I am surprised the dealer acted like they never seen it before. It is apparently somewhat common, and there is a TSB for it.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:26 PM
romolicious

of course the dealer did. ford and ford dealers don't want acknowledge this problem. like Chevy and the ignition problem. don't want to pay to fix their bad design. I emailed ford the response I got - to paraphrase - there is no recall so sucks to be you. so I filed a complaint with the NTSB but I don't think that yields any results
Old 10-24-2015, 09:29 AM
romolicious

what is a tsb?
Old 10-25-2015, 08:43 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Technical Service Bulletin. The 05's thru some 07's suffer from this problem. If you search the forum, you'll find a ton of info.