Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

7.5 torsen is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 07:24 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by amaNIN
That's HEAVY lol
ok shipping was $140 to a business $40 more to a residence. Not bad. I was talking to the seller and he said that 4.10's didn't come out of the factory as stated on the site. Site says its an option from the factory. And they don't ship with fluid. And he offered a clutch pak rebuild for $180. And new seals. So if I get: Axle assembly $800 + Clutch rebuild $180 + new seal install $100(?) + shipping $140 = $1220
Is that worth it?
Me personally I wouldn't bother with the clutch pack or seals, most likely you will not need them
Old 01-28-2016, 05:29 PM
amaNIN
1st Gear Member

Right so 800 + 140 = $940 shipped. Not half bad, with 4.10's. I am considering this rear end. Still thinking about it, taking a week or two to decide. If I ever do get it, I will post that if the thread is still open.
Thanx dudes, you guys are AWESOME!
Old 02-02-2016, 04:09 PM
amaNIN
1st Gear Member

Okay so suppose I get this 8.8 rear end. What does this benefit? Heavier, Stronger, 4.10 gears all point to less MPG. Quicker acceleration may be offset with the heavier axle assembly. Guess I need to shed some weight somewhere else.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:43 PM
JimC

As far as weight, not that much different that you will really notice much.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:41 AM
amaNIN
1st Gear Member

*****UPDATE*****
Well I got the part and put it in. When I spun one wheel, the other turns the same direction, awesome. I also noticed a drip. A stinky drip. So I have to seal the leak from the differential cover. Not too difficult. But that's just my luck. Last time I had differential service the guys didn't put the filler bolt on tight enough so it dripped. I thought it was a leak at the pinion seal!!! Glad it wasn't. The part was shipped to me without fluid in it, My question now is does the gasket material go bad if there is not any fluid on the other side? Like does the fluid and/or temp fluctuation help cure the gasket material?
Old 03-02-2016, 06:04 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by amaNIN
*****UPDATE*****
Well I got the part and put it in. When I spun one wheel, the other turns the same direction, awesome. I also noticed a drip. A stinky drip. So I have to seal the leak from the differential cover. Not too difficult. But that's just my luck. Last time I had differential service the guys didn't put the filler bolt on tight enough so it dripped. I thought it was a leak at the pinion seal!!! Glad it wasn't. The part was shipped to me without fluid in it, My question now is does the gasket material go bad if there is not any fluid on the other side? Like does the fluid and/or temp fluctuation help cure the gasket material?
providing there was no previous issue with the gasket it should be fine.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:20 PM
amaNIN
1st Gear Member

Dude My car feels so much faster now. If its an extra 40 lbs, I cannot feel the difference than with the 7.5. Best investment ever. Just don't drive it in the snow! I got stuck on my driveway one week ago on a shoveled snow pile lol. My friends s10 pushed me out but now my bumpers paint has cracked off "****" guess I will have a summer project lol.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:26 PM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

so as far as the rear end goes it seems like it all worked out for you. did you get an aluminum drive shaft?
Old 03-19-2016, 06:37 PM
amaNIN
1st Gear Member

@JJHoover
Nope. Don't think I need one besides less weight. No vibrations, chatters, or weird noises. Just the awesome sound of a tinnie Winnie whine and it sounds great. If I had a loud exhaust I wouldn't hear it at all. The driveshaft is expensive too !
I still have to go true dual exhaust, that's my next thing. But the rear end is great!
Old 04-07-2016, 11:51 AM
amaNIN
1st Gear Member

****UPDATE****
I am getting 15 MPG with my 8.8 rear end

Not great and my Tach is at about 2750 RPM's at 75 MPH

Quick Reply: 7.5 torsen is it worth it?