Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Nice Warm Weather...Time to Tinker

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 03:40 PM
CDC4.0

Default Nice Warm Weather...Time to Tinker

Had a warm weekend where I live, perfect time to finally dry off and get a cover on my recently purchased 2006 V6 manual. I didn't have the option of indoor storage when I bough the car and its been too cold to clear the car of snow and ice properly to cover it over.
But with the nice day we had I couldn't resist the urge to also pop the hood and start making a list of things to address in the spring:

Engine Oil, transmission fluid, fuel filter, coolant flush, spark plugs, power steering and brake fluid...just the basics.

Although I am waiting for spring to tackle the above list I did go ahead and (thanks to the knowledge gained from this forum) cleaned out my cowl drains. Sure enough they were filled with mud and debris, but there is no sign of previous water intrusion in the car and the cabin air filter looks brand new.

I also pulled off the air intake tube to get a look at the throttle body. I noticed the throttle was a little laggy and the idle was rough at times when I bought the car. Low and behold the throttle body looked like it had never and I mean NEVER been cleaned. Just caked in carbon and gunk, I pulled it out of the car and using carb cleaner and elbow grease got it looking brand new. Upon reinstalling it I noticed and instant improvement in idle quality and throttle response (from what I could test in the driveway that is..roads are still a sandy salty mess).

I would love to keep working on the car, I am very excited to have a mustang (even though it's a V6). But unfortunately the winter weather has returned and the car is covered over until spring...hopefully it comes quick!
Attached Thumbnails Nice Warm Weather...Time to Tinker-imag2006.jpg