Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Fuel Level Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 10:47 AM
05TorchS197

I've tried to attach two photographs of the panhard bar. BL817, I believe your assessment was correct, I think it's bent, haha. The track rod arms look alright, but they are definitely stock. The car has just over 80,000 on it. Should they be replaced?
Attached Thumbnails Fuel Level Issue-panhard-bar-1.jpg   Fuel Level Issue-panhard-bar-2.jpg   Fuel Level Issue-pass-track-rod-1.jpg   Fuel Level Issue-pass-track-rod-2.jpg   Fuel Level Issue-pass-track-rod-3.jpg  

Fuel Level Issue-driver-track-rod-1.jpg   Fuel Level Issue-driver-track-rod-2.jpg  
Old 12-13-2016, 04:45 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

as far as I know, the only adjustment that's considered for the rearend is the pinion angle. the axle should be perpendicular to the car at 90* and the rear tires should be 90* from the ground. the axle should be centered side to side. you can take a tape measure and measure front rim lip to front of rear rim lip on both sides to get an idea of how far off (crooked) the rear axle is. good news is that all the mounts look ok. your going to need a new PHB for sure. look on your local CL for stock take offs for next to nothing. it does look like the PHB was jammed into the rear diff cover so if that's the case, youll need another one of those as well, if the cover is rubbing on the ring gear, not sure how much clearance there is so be aware. the "need" to get new rear control arms is up to you. you can pull each separately and check the bushings to see what shape they are in. the lowers are all the same from 05-14-coupe,vert,GT,GT500 all the same, some V6 cars might be different. again, CL for takeoffs if going on the cheap. the upper was changed in 10' or 11' and are not compatible unless the upper mount is also changed to correspond with year of upper arm. good luck
Old 12-16-2016, 08:29 AM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

I have a stock PHB sitting in my shed but that does you no good as I'm in TX. look on your local CL to see if you can find stock parts, should be fairly cheap. hope your getting this situation figured out. good luck
Old 01-04-2017, 03:02 PM
05TorchS197

So, gentlemen, with the holidays over things have finally slowed down a bit for me to post more information.

A) In regard to the initial reason for posting this thread. The fuel level issue has been fixed. It appears that during the wreck, the fuel pump shifted in the tank. So much so that the fuel level sending unit was resting against the wall of the tank, hence always reading full. I wasn't able to figure this out on my own because when I replaced the sending unit, we reinstalled the pump exactly how we pulled it out, which was incorrect. If any of you ever run into this issue, make sure to check the pump and that it's aligned correctly in the tank so the fuel sending unit isn't hitting anything except fuel. It cost about $371 to figure that out, unfortunately. But, it's fixed, so that's really all that mattered.

B) I replaced the panhard bar and recentered the axle under the body of the car. Hopefully my alignment issues are fixed from this. I replaced it with a BMR adjustable bar from American Muscle. It works phenomenally thus far and I could immediately tell there was substantially more stability in the rear, probably because the previous one was bent.

Gents, I thank you for all your help! Maybe this thread will help someone else out there.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:54 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

glad to hear your issues have been taken care of and your back on the road!
Old 01-05-2017, 01:04 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Glad you got your car figured out. Yeah, it's tough to figure things out when it all goes back together the same way you pulled it out.