Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Mustang 06 Heater fan switch doesn't work at all

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 04:45 PM
mhnamaki

Default Mustang 06 Heater fan switch doesn't work at all

Dear Mustang Lovers!
Hi,
The fan switch in my mustang 06 doesn't work at all in any of 1,2,3,4 settings.
I can feel the heat and coolness, however, the air doesn't blow into the cabin.

I took it to a mechanic, he told me that everything works perfectly(wiring, blower motor, ...) except the fan switch. However, as the dealer doesn't sell the switch alone, they have to buy "Heater control assembly" completely by 655$!

I'm thinking to solve this problem by myself (with your help ).
Do you think "fan switch doesn't work and we should change heater control assembly completely" means that I can handle it by changing something by myself? Please guide me on that.

I think some of the mechanics just like to change everything from scratch even if they can fix it cheaper.

Thanks.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:07 PM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

OMG, I have sad news. I had read the 2007+ Mustangs had changed the control *****, etc. Well Ford Parts lists this for the 2007

A/C Fan Control Switch - $45.12

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Pa...&model=Mustang

But when I do the same search for a 2006, I get

"No Parts found for the selected search criteria"
Old 12-08-2016, 09:12 PM
mhnamaki

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
I've bought one complete climate control from ebay for around 50$ (used). Do you think it can solve my problem if I install it correctly?

something like the following link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/271483283650?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
Old 12-09-2016, 06:40 AM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

For $36 I would give it a shot.

While you have both units out, I would use an Ohm meter to see if they have similar values. BTW, have you checked the fuse that goes to this switch? I have manuals and can trace down the fuse for a 2007 if need be.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:38 AM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

its pretty straight forward on getting to the heater controls. remove the rear 2 phillips screws from the console, they are under the armrest, I don't think you need to remove the arm rest but you might. once those are out, you can pull up on the console from the rear, it just unclips. you may have to pull your park brake handle up. on manual cars, unscrew the shift **** and pop off the boot. not sure on autos but if you've made it this far, youll figure it out. once that is off, there are 2 side panels, 1 driver, 1 passenger, those just pop off straight towards you (rearward). once those are off youll have access to the screws that hold in the radio and climate controls. the drivers side connector is a big clip style connector, use a small flat screwdriver to gently pry up clip and remove connector. the passenger side connector uses a cam lock. IIRC the connector is yellow and the cam lock is grey, rotate the cam lock tab from 12:00 to 3:00 to release the connector. remember this cam lock and make sure the connector is seated fully and cam lock is rotated back to 12:00 or youll be checking this again when things don't work. once your new/used climate controls are installed, check for functionality before putting console back together. good luck
Old 12-12-2016, 01:08 AM
mhnamaki

Smile

Thank you guys for helping me on this.
I've installed the climate control that I've bought from ebay. Yeah! it worked. Then, I've installed the previous one, it worked too!!

I've found that my fan switch was working properly. Just its socket was disconnected! I do not know how the mechanic diagnosis my vehicle that didn't understand the socket was disconnected but figured out that is because of fan switch, not resistor or motor.

Btw, thanks for being with me
Old 12-12-2016, 05:33 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

glad we could help!