Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Help!!!! 05 fuel sender question

Old 01-19-2017, 11:51 AM
gpphillips

Default Help!!!! 05 fuel sender question

Hello all, I have a question that I hope someone can answer. I have an 05 4.0L manual trans that am having the fuel gauge issue. Mine is that lately the gauge will not go above 1/2 tank but the tank is full. I fill it up once the light comes on but only put roughly 6-7 gallons of gas in it. I have the modified gas tank in it and have not had any issues putting gas in it since the tank swap. I will pull the covers this weekend and see why it is not pulling the gas from the right to left.

I looked up the sender for the right side & find 5R3Z-9275-AC is listed for my car. I also find part number 7R3Z-9275-C is listed for 06-09. If you put both pictures side by side they look exactly the same but the price difference between them is about $100-125.

Can someone please tell me the difference and if I can use the 7R3Z in lieu of the 5R3Z for my 05.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:34 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

how long since the tank swap has this issue occurred? lets figure out the problem before you go throwing parts at it. this seems more of an inconvenience than anything and I like you would like to solve it if it were my car. I'm pretty sure there is a cross over tube that keeps the levels in each side the same otherwise there would be 2 fuel pumps. its possible that the fuel pump was put in in such a way that's not letting the float give accurate readings or when installed, the float lever was bent. another possible issue is your stepper motor in the fuel gauge is going bad, however I don't think that would trip the low fuel message. good luck
Old 01-19-2017, 07:03 PM
JimC

Could be simply the gauge cluster is the issue; stepper motors as mentioned. They have been known to have problems and the needle won't register properly. Does the needle drop below the full or empty mark?
Old 01-20-2017, 04:49 AM
gpphillips

I forgot to state that I did the left pump/sender & right sender units about 2+ years ago. This was due to the car just up and died with the wife driving home from work one day. When I got it towed home and opened the tank there was gas in both side at the same level. That is why both units were changed out. Also for some months leading up to it dying, the fuel gauge was acting up reading full then empty at times then empty all the time. Then the rpm started acting up so I researched and found the gauge stepper motor issues that everyone had. I did the stepper motors on all of the gauges at the same time. I figured that why just do the fuel & rpm while I had it apart.

The tank was changed out about 4+ years ago. There has been no issues since the change when filling it up. It used to take us 5-10 minutes before to get a full tank now it is half the time. I really don't think it is the tank unless there is something in the filler tube that could get clogged.

Everything was working as designed up to about 1-2 weeks ago. I started to notice the gauge reading not matching what gas I was pumping into the tank. Now the fuel gauge only goes up to 1/2 tank even when it is full. I have not tried to keep running past the near empty light to see if I can run the tank empty. My car is a base model stang so I do not have the computer monitor that gives you miles to empty. Just a dumb-dumb light that pop's on the gauge cluster. It doesn't even have the abs system in it.

I have read that the left side pump/sender does e-1/2 while the right side sender does 1/2-full. I still will pull both sides to check the cross over tube is still attached on both units or maybe clogged. Plus check the connections to make sure nothing got dirty or came loose.

Any help on this matter is much appreciated.

Last edited by gpphillips; 01-20-2017 at 04:54 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:59 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I also have a 2005 4.0 and all of my cluster gauges are off, except for the speedometer. The stepper motors failing on these gauges is a common issue with the 2005 models.

There are companies out there that can fix the whole cluster, which involves soldering and putting in new stepper motors.

At this time, I am living with it and I keep track of my gas by using the mileage tracker.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-13-2017, 05:05 AM
gpphillips

Kevin,
As I said before I already changed out the stepper motor's bout 2 years ago. I did it my self since I could not justify spending $200-300 to send it out plus being without a car for a week plus. If I remember correctly I got a 7 pack of motors for $10-15 which is why I did all off them. It was a pretty simple job and there are many video's on the subject.

I still have not opened it up to see if anything obvious is at bay. It is a little cold out right now and I do not want to run my kerosene heating with the tank open.

I called a local Ford Parts and they said that I can not use the 7R3Z-9275-C (06-09) in my 05 sang. Him and I don't get it since both units are exactly the same in appearance. I was just wondering if somebody can tell me the difference between 7R3Z-9275-C (06-09) & 5R3Z-9275-AC (05) right side senders other than $125.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:35 AM
gpphillips

Are there any Ford Tech guys/gals that could answer my original question??????

What is the difference between 7R3Z-9275-C (06-09) & 5R3Z-9275-AC (05) right side senders.

I found Ford TSB 08-4-17 that says to replace the right sender with p/n 7R3Z-9275-C if found faulty. I am looking for the Ford factory service manuals so I can trouble shot it before replacing it.

Last edited by gpphillips; 02-16-2017 at 05:39 AM.

Search this Thread