Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Gas tank recall

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 12:24 AM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

Default Gas tank recall

Does anyone know whether there has been a gas tank recall? The neck of my gas tank seems very thin, and every time I fill it up, the pump either senses the fumes and shuts off, so I try to barely stick the pump in-resulting in gas all over me and the car.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:28 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Gas tank recall

i think there has been a recal for this, but i hear that people have resolved this problem by filling with the pump upside down
Old 02-14-2006, 12:33 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black06stang

Does anyone know whether there has been a gas tank recall? The neck of my gas tank seems very thin, and every time I fill it up, the pump either senses the fumes and shuts off, so I try to barely stick the pump in-resulting in gas all over me and the car.
Yes, on the early 05s. I bought my 05 in June of last year and it didn't have it. I don't know of any 06's that have it.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:44 AM
afixer
5th Gear Member

http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/alb...08fueltank.pdf
Old 02-14-2006, 12:53 AM
IamtheChitt
1st Gear Member

mine does the same thing.... i have an 06... filling up sucks.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:14 AM
lnmech

a new tsb states cars built after 4 26 2005 and all 2006 model years were built with the revised tank. so basicaly they are not going to do anything about it. it sucks they say try other pumps and that should take care of the prob.yeah right.....tsb is on tms forums under issues.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:19 AM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Like rygen said, no recalls on late 05's or 06's. My tank shut off 95% of the time when it filled half-way. For some reason, the only station that filled all the way was the 76s. Eventually, that stopped working, too (it was probably just luck).

I go into the dealership, and I swear, you have to say the magic words to get the right service. I kept telling the service rep what my problem was and he went to the Ford website to see if there were any recalls on my tank. I was two seconds from just leaving and heading over to my dealership (the one where I bought the car, far away) when the guy said, "Let me get the service manager." So the service manager just lays it out, plain and simple, "if the vehicle is still under warranty, 36K miles/3 years we'll replace the gas tank." Isn't that what I was trying to effing do? The goddamn service guys didn't even look at my odometer, or look up my VIN, or anything... I only had 3K miles on the car at the time, they just assumed I wanted to get my tank repaired and pay an arm and a leg for it.

Needless to say, they "fixed" it and it was under warranty. The fuel pump still shuts off every once in a while (maybe one in ten), and when it does, my blood boils. [:@]
Old 02-14-2006, 04:38 AM
angryterry26

So this is my experience with the issue...........I bought my car here in Las Vegas, NV, were I live. I frequently visit California and have noticed that california gas stations usually have a long plastic/rubber or whatever thing on the nozzle of the pump. Everytime I go to california, it seems to take me fifteen minutes just to fill my tank up since it always shuts off. Here in Las Vegas we don't have those long plastic/rubber thing covering the nozzle, and I have never had that problem here. Is it a coincedence? Possibly.........but that is the connection i made and the conclusion I came to.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:00 AM
nicarc369
2nd Gear Member

We have both kinds of pumps where I live in Cali, the ones with the tube thing and the ones without. The ones without always work fine with me. Maybe they will stop seeing Ive had my car 4 about 4 weeks as SPARTAN V1 said it might[>:].
Old 02-14-2006, 09:25 AM
n25sh

Had the problem, got the new tank (after a few minutes with a 'service advisor' who tried to tell me I didn't have the problem). It's better, but still not quite right--I think the improved design still has a ways to go but Ford wants to pretend it's fixed. Next time I'm there I'll have to point out that my wife's Charger doesn't do it...

Quick Reply: Gas tank recall