Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Dropped my car off the get it tuned..

Old 02-14-2006, 11:14 PM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

Default Dropped my car off the get it tuned..

Well I decided to go with AZ Dyno Chip instead of AMP. They specialize in the SCT 2 plus they were cheaper. The guy Brent was really helpful and I felt an excellent vibe from them, they treated me real good and took time to explain everything and answer any questions I had. So I head over there with my buddy and start to talk with Brent about what I wanted. Told him I wanted gears, tlok, and a dyno tune. He asked me why I wanted gears. I told him I want to accelerate a bit faster. He then asked what they have stock. I replied 3.31's I beleive and told him I was wanting 3.73's. He advised me to hold off on the gears & tlok for now and let them Dyno tune it and see where I want to go from there. He said I will be pretty suprised to see what the dyno tune just dose (which I know but I don't cause I've watched lease forums enough to see peoples reactions are after they had just loaded canned tunes, and most people say its like a new car) Plus he was saying for the money you'll spend on the 3.73's & tlok it really not that much of a difference(sorta like the headers) He said if I wanted he will do them but he was telling me for the money you'll pay its not to much worth it in his opinion. Said you will accelerate a little faster but most of the hype is the feeling of the car needing to be shifted earler, your not so much accelerating that much quicker. He did say a tlok wasn't a bad idea though. So I asked him when would you want to do the gears & tlok. He was saying gears might want to be one of the last things you would do, like if you supercharged you might want the stock gears he was saying, having 3.73's might be too much or they might not it would be better to find out in the end. He was saying he did a manual V6 a few weeks ago all he had was duals, intake, and the SCT2 tune 91 oc. and was doing 14.5's at the track with out gears & tlok.

So now Im a little confused, I see all you champs putting in 3.73's & 4.10's, tloks & TT's. What do you all think? There not trying to get out of doing the work, he told me they would do it, heck they do custom turbos he said. I talk to him about a short throw shifter he said they were only like $80.00's he was telling me I could do that my self, he was saying its just a shorter stick that makes the shifting better. Isn't there shifters that make the space between the gears like 1st and 2nd shorter or is having a short stick serve the same purpose. Why are the ones on v6 performance parts $200 $250. Said it should only take like 20 mins I could get parts off ebay. Said they would do it though if I wanted. They are really cool people, like I said before the vibe was great. I think I found a shop that I will be going to for a while. There real straight up with you and no question is a stupid question with them. Made me feel real comfortable. Never in my short so far life have I had a auto shop make me feel like that!! They also Dyno using SAE numbers already so that makes me happy. So I just went with a Dyno Tune for now. About $600.00 for everything They gave me the SCT2 for about $350 and the dyno tune for about $250

What is your guys imput on the gears personally. Do they really help that much for the money?
Old 02-15-2006, 09:14 AM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Dropped my car off the get it tuned..

Can I get a reply lol
Old 02-15-2006, 09:15 AM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

Anyones thoughts lol
Old 02-15-2006, 12:37 PM
will_c
3rd Gear Member

i think people are intimidated by that long article. haha.
but luckily HOOKED ON PHONICS worked for me, so i read it. lol
hmm... i guess what he said about the gears makes sense. Im not really sure cuz i still have stock gears, but I would imagine that changing them would only be really effective if you have a major increase in power/torque.

will
Old 02-15-2006, 12:48 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

The lower gearing (higher numerically) is great if you make frequent trips to the drag strip. It helps a lot with the hole shot, gets the motor into the "sweet spot" quicker and keeps it there in gear shifts. It also will make the car feel more peppy if you do a lot of stop-and-go driving. I do a lot of highway driving, the lower gearing wouldn't be worth the cost for me. It really depends on the kind of driving you do and what you are hoping to achieve.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:09 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

I read it, twice, both here and at mustangsource. lol

Couldn't conjure up anything to say. [X(]
Old 02-15-2006, 05:47 PM
Jimp
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: SPARTAN VI

I read it, twice, both here and at mustangsource. lol

Couldn't conjure up anything to say. [X(]
Same here. I'd go with the 3.73s and TT.