Vendor For Sale / Group Buy Classifieds Single Items & Group Buys - Authorized MustangForums.com Vendors Only!

Introduction to Magnetic Oil Filtration. Discount offer to Mustang Forums Members

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 02:32 AM
peteway
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Introduction to Magnetic Oil Filtration. Discount offer to Mustang Forums Members

ORIGINAL: Pete R
....The engine filters are good for 50,000 miles, or 10 oil changes for most people. ....

that just goes against everything that seems right. So if I had your filter I would only change it every ten oil changes or 50,000 miles (which ever came first)

if that is true it will be hard to get used to doing that... but I'll admit I am VERY tempted.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:38 AM
peteway
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Introduction to Magnetic Oil Filtration. Discount offer to Mustang Forums Members

..never mind. I just read this on the website.

The Forcefield Magnetic Engine Oil Filter installs on the engine block in the original oil filter location. The original oil filter then installs to this adapter
makes more sense now.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:17 PM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

I had a very strong alnico magnet attached to my oil pan near the drain plug. I removed just before draining the oil so the metal particles would drain out.

Note that some of the metal particles in the oil are not magnetic so the magnet will not attrackt them...
Old 11-20-2006, 01:07 AM
classj
4th Gear Member

Seems like a reasonable enough idea. I really like it for transmissions. However non-magnetic band and clutch material is what usually ends up in the cooler loop. Not metal.

For engines. ehe. I don't know. Will it help? Possibly. But most modern engines will go 200K miles easy with oil changes done every 3K miles.

If you look at an engine with 200K miles and see the wear that is there, which for an engine is alot, but in truth, not a whole lot of metal. And imagine the amount of metal filings generated by wearing away that metal. Now dillute them into the 500 quarts of oil that was run through the motor. And take into account it was filtered. see where I am going.

For fleet use it might be more usefull.

Keep in mind though, that while this is executed differently, the idea has been around forever it seems and does work as intended. All I am questioning is it's actual impact on engine life.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:16 PM
Amanda
Administrator

ORIGINAL: Poobs
Note that some of the metal particles in the oil are not magnetic so the magnet will not attrackt them...
But the ones it does attract are better then someone not doing anything to remove them at all.

~Amanda
Old 11-22-2006, 12:04 AM
excitedVulcan

seems to me, if there is band material floating 'round, the band material was worn off by something... most likely ferrous metal parts, right? If so, arent' there gonna be some ferrous particles floatin' around with? I read some pretty lengthy research papers linked to from the bossproducts.us site. is there any way to get them linked here? hello, boss? anyone?

excitedVulcan
Old 11-22-2006, 10:33 AM
karlgunnar

Classj and Poobs,

Let me comment on what you write.

It is absolutely easier to sell this to a fleet owner. He knows how many engines or transmissions he rebuilds every year. He can go back to see how much he spent and can compare this to the cost of magnetic filters.

You don’t rebuild your engines and transmissions very often but the same numbers (statistics) are valid for you as for the fleet owner. Also bear in mind that most of you guys run your engines harder. Modifications add power but will also wear the engine down faster.

How much money do you have in engine modifications? How many hours did you spend building? Is a $50 magnetic filter a reasonable cost (or insurance) to help protect your investment?

When I put in time and money to modify an engine I make absolutely sure I build it to spec. I just hate when something goes wrong later on. This is where I come from: I prefer to build the engine once so I can enjoy the ride for a loooong time afterwards.

Installing the most effective magnetic oil filter available today adds the extra protection. This filter will capture all wear particles . . . sorry, all steel particles and minimizes further wear.

Magnetic oil filters have been around for a long time. But Boss Products have improved the effectiveness of these filters dramatically. Let me point out one detail only: Our magnetic filters are full flow filters. All oil passes within ¼” from a strong Barium- Ferrite Magnet. This can not be compared to a magnet on the outside of the oil filter or the oil pan where most of the magnetic field is shielded by the sheet metal between the magnet and the oil.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:54 AM
Pete R

For the most part, the only parts rubbing/wearing are ferrous (steel). The thin film of oil circulating within your engine, carries small particles of the worn steel around your engine, continuously. This accelerates the wear. Good magnetic filtration can reduce the effects of that by keeping the steel particles trapped on the magnet.

Also, if you use good magnetic filtration, you can reduce the non-magnetic particles in the oil, because it is the steel particles, mixed within the oil causing the erossive wear in the engine block.

If you think about it, there is aluminum, brass, copper, and a few other elements in the dirty oil, but where do you have aluminum rubbing against anything in your engine or trans? No where, these particles come from the steel (ferrous) particles that are continuoulsy running around inside the engine.

If you keep the hard steel particles out of the lube circuit, you can reduce wear and get longer life out of your powertrain. Don't forget, you can also get more life out of your oil, and extend the drain interval. If it's cleaner, you can keep it in your vehicle longer, and save a few bucks.

I know, I know, some of you are going to say,"I have to change my oil at 3,000 miles!" Take a look at your owners manual, not too many manufacturers have a 3,000 mile oil chane interval. Most of that information comes from the oil companies and quick lube industry. In fact, there are some manufacturers that say you don't have to change your oil until 15,000 miles (using synthetic oil). I will qualify that further, that "your" change interval will depend on "your" drive cycle.

Bottom line, your better off with magnetic filtration than without it.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:13 PM
Amanda
Administrator

Anyone else purchased this?? Let us know!!

~Amanda
Old 12-06-2006, 12:44 AM
praztek
3rd Gear Member

Anyone?

ORIGINAL: Amanda

Anyone else purchased this?? Let us know!!

~Amanda