Virginia Regional Chapter Chapter President: BabyGT

Rd Course Tracks

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 08:20 AM
Nocturnal'14
1st Gear Member

Default Rd Course Tracks

Hey guys....
I might be moving to the area and wanted to know what Road Course tracks there were in the area.
When I lived in NC we frequented VIR and NCCAR...any others around that are good?

I will be living near Norfolk. Thanks!

ALSO, What is the most active club in the area?
Old 03-19-2014, 07:19 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

That's about it lol we gotta drive pretty far for tracks, there is the drag strip in hertford, nc. And most likely the "mustang club of tidewater". Google them, they have a site.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:51 AM
Jande063
1st Gear Member

From Norfolk, you are just under four hours from both VIR and Summit Point(just west of DC). NASA Mid-Atlantic is pretty active at both locations, and trying to re-constitute their autocross championship at VMP near Petersburg. I don't know a whole lot about local mustang clubs, but the local race clubs are Tidewater Sports Car Club and Old Dominion Region SCCA. If you are willing to go to Richmond, you also have Virginia Motorsports Club. I am currently active with all of these groups, and race my car every weekend. Hope to see you out there, and good luck.

Last edited by Jande063; 01-27-2015 at 06:41 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:51 AM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

There used to be a thing out near Langley on Wednesday evening or every other Wednesday. I don't remember. My buddy and I went one night in his WRX when I went down for a visitation trip. It was a good turn out. There's always an autocross event somewhere I'm sure down there. There's a HUGE car culture down there.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:39 AM
Jande063
1st Gear Member

There are two local autocross clubs. Tidewater Sports Car Club (TSCC) and the Old Dominion Region of the Sports Car Club of America (ODR-SCCA). ODR races on the first Sunday of each month from March until November at Pungo Airfield, and TSCC races the third weekend of the same months at Pungo Airfield and at Little Creek Amphib Base's ACU4 facility. TSCC is also doing several track events out at the Academi (formerly Blackwater) facility in Moyock, NC. There is also a brand new road course between Richmond and DC on I95 by the name of Dominion Raceway. NASA will be doing several events there this year. I used to go to the Wednesday night event at Langley Speedway, but it was way too risky for my blood, people who honestly had no business on track were racing, and wrecking each other all to often. I would not go unless I had a $500 beater that I did not care about someone bouncing off. I got tired of risking my investment when every other race I seemed to be matched with some teenager who was utterly convinced that his fast and furious want to be civic had to out corner my mustang, even on his awful tires, just because he was an import and I was a mustang. Too many close calls with people with that delusion (I have not had that issue at a full track event because that particular group is not in attendance, probably due to pricing).

Last edited by Jande063; 01-27-2015 at 06:52 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:41 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jande063
There are two local autocross clubs. Tidewater Sports Car Club (TSCC) and the Old Dominion Region of the Sports Car Club of America (ODR-SCCA). ODR races on the first Sunday of each month from March until November at Pungo Airfield, and TSCC races the third weekend of the same months at Pungo Airfield and at Little Creek Amphib Base's ACU4 facility. TSCC is also doing several track events out at the Academi (formerly Blackwater) facility in Moyock, NC. There is also a brand new road course between Richmond and DC on I95 by the name of Dominion Raceway. NASA will be doing several events there this year. I used to go to the Wednesday night event at Langley Speedway, but it was way too risky for my blood, people who honestly had no business on track were racing, and wrecking each other all to often. I would not go unless I had a $500 beater that I did not care about someone bouncing off. I got tired of risking my investment when every other race I seemed to be matched with some teenager who was utterly convinced that his fast and furious want to be civic had to out corner my mustang, even on his awful tires, just because he was an import and I was a mustang. Too many close calls with people with that delusion (I have not had that issue at a full track event because that particular group is not in attendance, probably due to pricing).
Thanks for giving more info on the Langley ordeal. I only went once and that was at least 3yrs ago, if not more. I was just throwing it out there for OP. But thank you again for helping a fellow 'Stanger stay away from a bad crowd! The night I was there it wasn't too bad. The final two cars were a Fox-body LX and a C6 zZ06. It was intense and almost dead even to say the least!

I'm going to have to look into Dominion Raceway. I thought I had heard of a new course in VA but not many details on it. Thanks!