Virginia Regional Chapter Chapter President: BabyGT

Headlights and VA inspection

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 06:37 AM
DK Pony
4th Gear Member

Default Headlights and VA inspection

I can't seem to get a straight answer on this. I even emailed the State Police and talked to two local inspection stations.
Are the American Muscle HID Halo black headlights legal or not?
Not the smoked or tinted lenses but the black reflector complete housings.
Thanks.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:52 AM
lastmanstanding

The headlamps have to have a DOT stamp to be legal. Here is a link to the state insp manual reguarding headlamps. If the headlamps do not meet these requirements they fail.
http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp...19VAC30-70-140
Old 03-30-2014, 10:15 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Yes that's the legal to the code standing, has to have DOT stamp and all that jaz, but every inspector I have ever been to has only checked to see if A) the lights come one and B) do the high beams work. I've never seen them actually check for the dot stamp.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:21 AM
DK Pony
4th Gear Member

Thanks guys.
I have lived in VA all my live (46 years worth) and am pretty familiar with the inspections but I am getting conflicting reports on this one.
Just because it has a DOT stamp does not mean it's legal. You can get smoked tail lights that have a DOT stamp but they will absolutely give you a ticket for them.
According to the regs the vehicle lights must have clear lenses with no tint or anything that would diminish visibility and the reflectors must be clean and bright. I cant find out if that means the back of the housing which would be the chrome part that USED to be used to increase light output with standard bulbs or just normal reflectors on the front and rear corners.
I did find out that quarter window louvers , scoops or blackout panels are ok if you have functioning side mirrors.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:36 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Passing inspection versus being illegal is different. It will pass as long as it says dot because most stations are only concerned with safety issues with the car like brakes and lights working and stuff. If you ever got pull and tried to say that the tint passed inspection in court all the inspectors are gonna do is say it wasn't like that when they saw it you must have installed the stock stuff long enough to pass then switched them out again.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:12 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DK Pony
I can't seem to get a straight answer on this. I even emailed the State Police and talked to two local inspection stations.
Are the American Muscle HID Halo black headlights legal or not?
Not the smoked or tinted lenses but the black reflector complete housings.
Thanks.
Originally Posted by BabyGT
Passing inspection versus being illegal is different. It will pass as long as it says dot because most stations are only concerned with safety issues with the car like brakes and lights working and stuff. If you ever got pull and tried to say that the tint passed inspection in court all the inspectors are gonna do is say it wasn't like that when they saw it you must have installed the stock stuff long enough to pass then switched them out again.
^ This is correct. Passing Inspection vs. Being Illegal are definitely different. The Smoked headlights will pass inspection without any issues at all (just like Window tint). However, if a Police Officer is in a bad mood he could write you a ticket for them. I've had tinted taillights and tinted headlights on my 2011 GT since the day I bought it and have never had an issue!

I hope this helps.

-Dan
Old 04-03-2014, 06:18 PM
DK Pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BabyGT
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer
^ This is correct. Passing Inspection vs. Being Illegal are definitely different. The Smoked headlights will pass inspection without any issues at all (just like Window tint). However, if a Police Officer is in a bad mood he could write you a ticket for them. I've had tinted taillights and tinted headlights on my 2011 GT since the day I bought it and have never had an issue!

I hope this helps.

-Dan
Yes and as I mentioned before I understand that the DOT stamp doesn't make it legal. I understand that passing inspection does not make it legal also.
But we all know there are loopholes. For instance back in the 90's I had a 78 Camaro (yes I know). The regs say the exhaust had to exit at the stock locations, have no holes, leaks, and cats present. They DO NOT SPECIFY it had to have a muffler. So I ran dual cats through baffled muffler tips and viola. Passed inspections no problems. But I did get one ticket for noise and impromper equipment.
I understand that there can be no tint or smoke coloring over the lenses of the headlamps. The lenses MUST BE CLEAR..I got all that.
Which brings me to my original question:
Does anyone know if the American Muscle Raxiom Halo Black headlights can be used in VA.Not the smoked lens...but black reflectors.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:21 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Actually they don't have to be clear, the regulation says something about they have to be visibly on, on a clear day from so many meters and the reflective part still has to reflect light in day light. It's at the cops descretion whether or not he considers it clearly visible.

I'd say yes. On the black housings be fine to use.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:19 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

There are so many things we accessorize on cars that are illegal but you can purchase it from the local auto store. Like, license plate frames, or anything hanging from the rearview mirror. Cops use it if they suspect you of something, like hauling illegal aliens or substance. It's their way of reeling you in for a closer inspection. Usually they won't bother you unless they are are having a bad day.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:01 PM
BT Motorsports
Former Sponsor

You will be A-Okay with those headlights in VA.